Jazzmaster HH? Opinions?

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    edited December 2015
    Just chiming in again on the HH Jazzmaster. So far so good in terms of feel, but that stock bridge is a nightmare!! 
    I ordered a staytrem but haven't installed it yet, as I'm thinking of changing pickups as well.

I had thought of SDs, but someone asked me recently "ah, will you get trembuckers or humbuckers?" 

Something I hadn't thought of as I assumed the stock Fender humbuckers were of a standard size.

I emailed Fender and they sent me a link to Fender products, but I think I'll get SD humbuckers.

I'm not sure what I should be looking into here. The radius of the guitar is 9.5 and the nut width is 42mm.

I'm not too sure if covered vs uncovered pickups would make a difference.

Anyone been down this road?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The width doesn't matter. Fender string spacing is wider but Gibson spaced humbuckers still work. Gibson spacing just looks a little off visually.

I think covers can dull the sound a little but I have no real knowledge on that front
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I think I'll get an SD 59 and and a JB uncovered and be done with it! 

• its a popular combo for a reason
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I'm not 100% sure whether I should be looking at humbuckers or trembuckers, but once I measure, I'll find out...
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    F*&%ing cool, sorry never played or heard one but they are about as cool as guitars get!
  • samzadgan said:
    so...i had a squire jazzmaster and i changed the neck and put a humbucker in...very easy to do.

you get a jazzmaster pickup cover...you cut out the middle and you put the humbucker in it...drill a couple of holes in the jazzmaster case and put the screw and spring in for the pickup, and treat the jazzmaster cover like pickup rings.

here's a pic..(just because i want to post more pics of my beast!)

Is that a maple neck? I'm tempted to get a maple neck for mine down the line.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    samzadgan said:
    so...i had a squire jazzmaster and i changed the neck and put a humbucker in...very easy to do.

you get a jazzmaster pickup cover...you cut out the middle and you put the humbucker in it...drill a couple of holes in the jazzmaster case and put the screw and spring in for the pickup, and treat the jazzmaster cover like pickup rings.

here's a pic..(just because i want to post more pics of my beast!)

Is that a maple neck? I'm tempted to get a maple neck for mine down the line.
    Aluminium, I believe
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    edited December 2015
    I knew it looked a bit odd but not aluminium !
  • A question. I measured the string spacing on the HH Jazzmaster and on the bridge pickup the distance between E and E is just over 2 inches while on the neck it's exactly 2 inches.
    Now I'm not sure if a staytrem upgrade would alter the spacing measurements on the bridge pickup.
    Going by advice online I'd need a trembucker for the bridge and a humbucker for the neck based on current measurements but I'm unsure .
    I should really go to a luthier
  • it honestly doesnt matter, the pole pieces will pick up the string regardless. 

The staytrem will pull the strings in a tiny bit over the TOM I believe, but not a huge amount. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmmm maybe I should install the staytrem first and then re measure.
    I was just thinking of getting the two jobs done together.
  • I measured stock pickup length and both are just over 2.5 inches. I assume that's a standard size ?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    The difference between f spaced and regular pickups is only a few millimetres it really doesn't matter, makes no difference to performance or sound
  • Just to ask what might be a silly question again. Got in touch with fender support UK and they advised on an f spaced humbucker for the bridge.
    It's obvious to the eye that the string spacing is wider here but if it doesn't make that much of a difference, then...

I had thought of humbucker sized wide range humbuckers (ala Lee Ranaldo) but not sure if they would slot into stock cavities...
  • Humbuckers sized ones will be fine. Original sized ones will need additional routing.
  • I might have a gander at some options then. Though am I correct in saying "wide range humbuckers" aren't like traditional humbuckers?
  • you are correct. 
    They are a bit marmite, some people love them, others hate them etc etc
  • The demos I've heard of them wouldn't put me off them, but might just stick in a regular set of buckers.
  • I may well be splitting hairs at this point but here are some measurements:

String spacing at bridge pickup : 54mm
    String spacing at neck pickup : 51mm

Nut: 42mm

The diMarzio website suggests f spaced at neck pickup for anything that is 43mm nut.

Once I install the staytrem bridge I'm not sure if that will change the spacing at all so might do that first.