Jazzmaster HH? Opinions?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Creed_Clicks;926515" said:
    I may well be splitting hairs at this point but here are some measurements:

String spacing at bridge pickup : 54mmString spacing at neck pickup : 51mmNut: 42mmThe diMarzio website suggests f spaced at neck pickup for anything that is 43mm nut.Once I install the staytrem bridge I'm not sure if that will change the spacing at all so might do that first.
    I really, really wouldn't worry about it this much. Install it and see if you notice a significant difference in string to string volume. I'm betting, with the compression and gain of humbuckers especially, that a mm or two each way makes practically no difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • it wont make any difference

you will be fine with any humbucker
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    edited January 2016
    I'll install it first out of curiosity.

Still not sure what to go for. I was going to stick a SD 59 and JB in it, but might look at some wide range humbuckers. The creamery ones are pricey though... :(
  • Back in again with a pickup query. I bought the Jazzmaster HH as a tip of the hat to Lee Ranaldo, so I'm thinking of maybe looking at wide range humbuckers.

What I like about the HH at the moment is that I can get humbucking sounds out of a Jazzmaster.

Would wide range buckers be much of a departure? I've played tele deluxes before (Mexican ones) and to me, the pickups in it sounded more or less like humbuckers.

Would I be best off sticking to my original plan of SDs.....
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1824
    I have a great pair of humbuckers for sale in the classifieds. I took them out of my Jaguar where they sounded great. They'd definitely go well in a Jazzmaster.

Thread here:

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    edited January 2016
    Creed_Clicks;947005" said:
    Back in again with a pickup query. I bought the Jazzmaster HH as a tip of the hat to Lee Ranaldo, so I'm thinking of maybe looking at wide range humbuckers.

What I like about the HH at the moment is that I can get humbucking sounds out of a Jazzmaster.

Would wide range buckers be much of a departure? I've played tele deluxes before (Mexican ones) and to me, the pickups in it sounded more or less like humbuckers.

Would I be best off sticking to my original plan of SDs.....
    Proper Wide range humbucker have some elements of a good single coil (increased clarity, more snap on the attack) and some of a good humbucker (beefier mids and lows, more power). They're great but sort of not really like either. Or both. Whichever!

All modern Fender WRHBs are not like the traditional ones, just standard humbuckers. What you heard is correct - the Mexican tele deluxe you tried will sound like it just has humbuckers in it because essentially it does!!

A few people now make good repros. I have one from Marc at Mojo but also Jamie at The Creamery and others do them too. Not cheap but they're not a simple design, comparatively.

Also note that 'proper' WRHBs are bigger than standard humbuckers, but people like Marc et al make standard-sized wide range pickups that will fit in your Jazzmaster with no modification.

Frankly, I really like them as a neck pickup, but prefer either the power and mids of a proper humbucker or the attack and bite of a true single coil in he bridge position, but horses for courses and all that!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I didn't check in with this before...

yes, my one has an aluminium neck (which i highly recommend!)

As far as pickups go, it really depends on the kind of music you are playing...the wide-range would be cool to try out, but it will be different to humbuckers, and you may/may not like them...but worth a try if you're really wondering.

With mine, I have the neck pickups of lace sensors dirty heshers set sitting in there. I use to have those in my LP and they sounded very different than in the jazzmaster..."a jazzmaster will always sound like a jazzmaster"...which is something i read somewhere and within reason, its true. I think the jazzmaster will maintain the characteristics that make is sound different to most other gutiars.

as far as bridge and spacing...I also have the staytrem on mine, and i have no idea what spacing is on my pickups...I don't really think you should worry about that, its such an insignificant difference compared which pickups you end up going with.
    edited January 2016
    While the HH doesn't sound like a my regular CIJ , it does have a slight jangle to it but I'm getting what I want out of the humbuckers for now.
    I guess there's nothing "jumping" out at me hence the thoughts of changing the pickups.
    I'm thinking right now that Seymour Duncans might be too obvious. So I did a bit of research on Lee Ranaldos guitar.
    I am aware that the new wide range buckers are pretty much humbuckers, or am I wrong?
    Are they fender's attempt at a P90?
    edited December 2018
    B