Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

War games, and the glorification of conflict

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm going to be one of those unbearable hippy parents.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    martinw said:
    Fretwired said:

I also had a Tommy Gunn [British version of Action Man] soldier rather than the US Action Man although my gran bought me an Action Man in the end ... :-)

Action Man was British. The US version was GI Joe.
    Action Man was just the same GI Joe doll with a different name. It came as a US soldier, sailor or airman. British uniforms were introduced as an add on later.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    edited November 2013
    dindude said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    What's with the hostility ?  
    Sorry but in my option, it doesn't warrant anything more. Your original post just sounded like a modern version of "oh, that Elvis character gyrating on TV, it's terrible, all young people are going to have casual sex now".
    Does it ?  Really ?

Would you do me a favour and go and re-read my original post, because I think it was pretty mild stuff, ending with a open question. Hardly the dogmatic statement of disgust you portray, and even less deserving of the hostility you say it 'warrants nothing less than'.
    With all due respect DinDude, I would argue the one displaying the faux-indignation is you.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Yeah you're right in that I was probably a bit blunt, I just think that it doesn't warrant big debate which means I should have stayed the fuck out of the thread :)

I keep breaking my own golden rule not to talk about non guitar related stuff
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm still laughing at the panda.  Thank you, @emp_Fab, my missus thinks that I've lost it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited November 2013

GI Joe had money, fags, booze, and candy. As a result he got more plastic fanny from Barbie than Action Man, who apparently didn't even have a cock.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GI Joe may have had money, fags, booze and nylons; but you couldn't play war with him for two years after the game started. :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a big psychological barrier between playing with war toys/games and actually fighting in a war. I can't imagine ever deliberately fighting in a war and yet I'm played any number of fighty games. There might very well be people for whom this barrier is unusually thin and playing Call of Duty will bust them through it but I see no reason why a graphically awesome game is more likely to do so than some medieval kiddie with his wooden knights. If you're using your killing brain while playing games it's the brain that's doing it wrong not the game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's what made Action Man the ultimately warrior - he had no cock to distract him.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    And no balls, either!

• It is an odd world some times. My wife holds life drawing classes with a nude model, due to a curtain miss hap she got complaints as the model was visible to the outside world. Now the only people to go past the window were going to a martial arts class.
    So seeing a lady in the buff is worse than people learning how to kick the shit out of each other.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    FWIW The Mail has an article that takes some spurious statistics and makes some bizzare link to video games being at the heart of Birminghams crime rate. Now while the industrial decline might be behind both more gaming because people have more time (unemployment) less money and less to do, and that decline is also the probable prime driver of a higher than average crime rate, the link between gaming and the crime is somewhat spurious.
  • It is an odd world some times. My wife holds life drawing classes with a nude model, due to a curtain miss hap she got complaints as the model was visible to the outside world. Now the only people to go past the window were going to a martial arts class.
    So seeing a lady in the buff is worse than people learning how to kick the shit out of each other.
     I understand why they were upset as an erection is highly visible through karate trousers.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    GI Joe may have had money, fags, booze and nylons; but you couldn't play war with him for two years after the game started. :D
    :-)

You'd have need an Action Man ... the
    Evilmags said:
    FWIW The Mail has an article that takes some spurious statistics and makes some bizzare link to video games being at the heart of Birminghams crime rate. Now while the industrial decline might be behind both more gaming because people have more time (unemployment) less money and less to do, and that decline is also the probable prime driver of a higher than average crime rate, the link between gaming and the crime is somewhat spurious.
    If I recall Birmingham's always had a higher than average crime rate .. you'd think that if people bought violent video games they'd be too busy playing them to have time to commit crime.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Its a great demonstration of how journalists are want to abuse statistics. Mathamatical correlation in social sciences does not work. You can't objectivley expreiment on people in a completely controlled environment. Its like saying Birmingham eats higher than average curries than the rest of the UK and has lower per capita income, therefore poverty and eating curry are linked. The mail does love to quote spurious studies from the bottom of the academic barrel.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Evilmags said:
    Its like saying Birmingham eats higher than average curries than the rest of the UK and has lower per capita income, therefore poverty and eating curry are linked.

I live in Birmingham, eat shitloads of curry and am skint. You might be onto something there.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    I'm still laughing at the panda.  Thank you, @emp_Fab, my missus thinks that I've lost it.
    @Handsome_Chris ;

If you find Panda funny, you have to see the rest of the ads....  you will soil yourself....  they are the best ads ever !!

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    IanSavage said:
    Evilmags said:
    Its like saying Birmingham eats higher than average curries than the rest of the UK and has lower per capita income, therefore poverty and eating curry are linked.

I live in Birmingham, eat shitloads of curry and am skint. You might be onto something there.
    bet you've started loads of wars as well, you murdering bastard.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom