Japan Guitars

What's Hot
Has anyone ever had dealings with Japan Guitars, based in France? If so, how did it go?

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Yup.  I bought a Burny from him a few years ago - no problems at all.  If I remember correctly, he's Mr. @ruralfrance ?

(Apologies if I've got mixed up!)
  • Cool, cheers. I've never considered buying a guitar long distance before as I like to try before I buy usually. However, there's a few lovely looking guitars on the website that I may have to make an exception for and take a chance on when the time comes. Reassuring to know the service is good anyway.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22978
    edited August 2015

I bought an Orville by Gibson goldtop from him quite a few years ago.  He was fine to deal with, a bit "serious" and he would only ship in a hard case, but that was made clear from the start anyway.

I would say you should look at the pictures closely and ask any questions you might have.  My ObG was described as "Near Mint" but actually had quite a few dings (understandable given the age, of course).  More annoying was the fact that most of the fretboard inlays turned out to be loose, which I had to get fixed by Feline Guitars.  I think he should've mentioned that before selling it.

I got a bit pissed off and sold the guitar, although in retrospect it was really bloody good and I should have kept it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

I bought an Orville by Gibson goldtop from him quite a few years ago.  He was fine to deal with, a bit "serious" and he would only ship in a hard case, but that was made clear from the start anyway.

As a seller, you're responsible for shipping right up until it's received and accepted as fine, so can't say as I blame him!

Thomann case, if I remember right and I'm sure he provides them at cost.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22978

Yeah, it was a decent quality case, unbranded but similar to an SKB.  I think he charged £55 at the time which wasn't extortionate.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Some lovely stuff on there

*Drools*
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    Some of those old Tokais look more like an original burst than the new True Historics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    I noticed that. I don't normally like Gibsons but some of those Tokais are really lovely.
    Bit expensive though.
    Tell you what though @Sassafras I'd have agreed with you a few years ago.  However, the Burny I eventually settled on (not the one from Japan Guitars, as it goes) I wouldn't part with unless I really, really have to.  Even then, it would have to be higher than it's market value to make it worth selling.  It will have to be prised from my cold, dead hands.  Bizarrely, it isn't one of the higher end versions, either!

To me, it's worth much, much more than it's market value - probably more than the price he'd be selling it for on his site.

It has a perfect neck, it really resonates... it's the best guitar I've ever played.  I feel a little like it's wasted with such a ham-fisted player like me... but by god, it's sensational.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    I don't think I've ever played a Burny but I've heard nothing but good things about them and they do seem to have a very loyal following. About time I tried one. They do look as good if not better than Gibsons.
  • Rox;750818" said:
    If I remember correctly, he's Mr. @ruralfrance ?

Not me I'm afraid!
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited August 2015 tFB Trader
    I've had 2 Grecos from him.
    An egf 1000 super real, great vintage sound and feel, hardware was a bit crap, I put Faber stuff on it which made a massive difference I also had to make a new nut.
    I sold it when I made my 59,more coming btw.
    I also had a Greco mint collection eg 59
    1000d, great 59 feel and sound but quite heavy, near 10lb I think.
    The only thing I would say is he's expensive and you probably won't get your money back.
    I lost best part of £300 on the super real and it took ages to sell.
    I'd have a high end mij over any gibson though, look at eBay and mlp forum for UK sellers.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    His prices do seem optimistic.

But it comes across as though he isn't too bothered about selling and will wait for the right price.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    tFB Trader
    Yeah like 2 years apparantly.

I didn't do enough homework.

Still i don't have to worry about all that crap now, I make all my own stuff Inc amps and acoustics.
    I don't own anything made by any manufacturers, nice.

I'll have proper spec 56 and 59 kits coming out soon, just trying to get demo guitars and 2 kits for Germany done plus a full build before posting full details on here.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    customkits;752626" said:
    Yeah like 2 years apparantly.

I didn't do enough homework.

Still i don't have to worry about all that crap now, I make all my own stuff Inc amps and acoustics.
    I don't own anything made by any manufacturers, nice.

I'll have proper spec 56 and 59 kits coming out soon, just trying to get demo guitars and 2 kits for Germany done plus a full build before posting full details on here.

Looking forward to that post @customkits

Previously known as stevebrum
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    ive known Mark (the owner) on mylespaul.com for many years. he is a very knowledgeable and nice chap and we have exchanged emails several times when i was interested in his stock. although his prices are higher than buying straight out of japan, they do reflect VAT/customs that it takes to get a guitar into europe. if there was something he had that i fell in love with i would not hesitate to buy, especially as he has a good return policy that i know other members have used without quibbles
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I couldn't sell the super real I bought from Mark easily, I thought I could.
    It took ages I lost money, I could have bought a gibson les paul standard and probably got my money back but I didn't want one.
    That's all i'm saying, keep looking and sometimes Mark ebay's some of them too.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Rox;750818" said:
    If I remember correctly, he's Mr. @ruralfrance ?

Not me I'm afraid!
    My apologies.  :)  I'm sure he had a similar username at some point somewhere...!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I couldn't sell the super real I bought from Mark easily, I thought I could.
    It took ages I lost money, I could have bought a gibson les paul standard and probably got my money back but I didn't want one.
    That's all i'm saying, keep looking and sometimes Mark ebay's some of them too.

To be fair, if you could flip a guitar you bought off him for the same dosh he'd not be in business. 

You're paying for his expertise too, I would imagine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2015 tFB Trader
    I wouldn't have lost that much money on a gibson.

I wasn't flipping it just selling it, he is overpriced compared to a lot of other mij guitars imo, lesson learned.
    As I said I don't have to do that crap anymore.

I'm giving my opinion and now think some high end mij are not worth that much money.
    I asked him how much an egf1200 was and I think it was something silly like 2.5k at the time and it's got a veneered flame top.
    See how much something with nitro, one piece back and neck etc, expensive.

Do your homework, I found it a funny market because no one knows a lot about them, I don't think they will sell as easily as a gibson unfortunately.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)