Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My first attempt at making a guitar has started

What's Hot

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    I so want to do this, my mate just offered me a planer thicknesses for free but it needs blades and a van to move. This is inspiring me to get off my arse and get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354

I have the luxury of a day off today so onward with the guitar build!

First off, I stuck the template over the roughly hewn body and cut the sides to shape with a router template bit, and also added the controls area. I have to say that this is a greatly satisfying stage, as you basically go from a rough hunk of wood to something that is a perfect guitar shape. 

Next up some weight relief as it is a hefty bit of wood. I just did this quickly by hand as it won't be seen on the final guitar (obviously!). If I was going to make several guitars then template would be the way to go.

I bought some 2.5mm maple to go over the top, but it felt a little thin to be honest so I doubled it up. I had to join these in the middle as they only covered half of the body, and I ran the lower ones across the grain of the top so that it was stronger. Next pic is the rough cut top ready to get stuck on. I don't have all the gear that some people have so I placed the maple under a very heavy paving slab to give an even heavy pressure whilst gluing. It will be the same procedure to glue the top onto the body. Hopefully the alignment won't move whilst I place the (very heavy!) slab.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking awesome man! Great job.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10392
    Great work @axisus.

Looks good by any standard,let alone your first attempt from scratch.Love these build threads.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Looks like you have a knack for it, gonna be a beauty
    To be honest I'm really not sure that I can make a decent neck. I'm already thinking that I may have to start that again! Early days, but a few little things have bothered me a bit with it so far
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    axisus;823658" said:
    To be honest I'm really not sure that I can make a decent neck. I'm already thinking that I may have to start that again! Early days, but a few little things have bothered me a bit with it so far
    Its a bolt on neck, so you may as well finish off this one... Maybe even make a few more mistakes on it. The second one will always be better

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Inspired!

(I'm bone idle y'see).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    edited November 2015
    Latest update.

drawn up rout plans for the body cavities, made into templates and ready to go.

Slightly mad improvised DIY rig for cutting the fret slots. Work in progress and finished article.

DIY rig for sanding the 9.5" radius onto the fretboard. 

Centre holes drilled and clay dots fitted. 

the slots look a bit big on this pic, but it's just an effect of poor lighting. I was a bit worried that they may not be sufficient depth all over so I took a spare bit of fret wire and used the dremel to take off the tangs and slim it a tad. A quick check and it drops in nicely everywhere. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    That's looking amazing, can't believe it's the first guitar you've made!  @-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    where are the clay dots from, those ones look quite nice
    WezV said:
    where are the clay dots from, those ones look quite nice
    I got them in 2014 off of eBay. The seller is no longer listed, and I can't see anything at the moment that looks the same.
    I make my own from old harvite poker chips and those look pretty close.

Which is ironic given I typed how daft it was to focus on such things in my build thread yesterday... But I do like a proper clay dot
  • You're making a crackingly good job of this, @axisus!
    Today I F***ed up two things. One is mostly fixed now, the other is a pain in the ass. Twice I wasn't concentrating at the critical point of having just fired up a power tool. Pissed off with myself ....
  • Sorry about the fuck up but just catching up on this thread.  Loving your work.  Great job - recent fuck up aside, so easy to do that though.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    axisus;867524" said:
    Today I F***ed up two things. One is mostly fixed now, the other is a pain in the ass. Twice I wasn't concentrating at the critical point of having just fired up a power tool. Pissed off with myself ....
    You gonna share? The likelihood is its not a unique mistake and advise could be offered

WezV said:
    axisus;867524" said:
    You gonna share? The likelihood is its not a unique mistake and advise could be offered

I wasn't going to, but as you asked ....

Drilling a big hole through the body for the jack socket, it moved a bit just after I started and wasn't central. Tried to convince myself that I could live with it but I couldn't! Turned a wood plug on the lathe, covered it in glue and banged it in. Sanded it flat, and will attack it again in a day or two with a bit more care and a pilot hole. It won't show once finished.

The headstock had a nick in the top that I did previously with the router (stuck a pic in a thread somewhere). Decided to take it down a millimetre all over to lose it, but an immediate cock up made it worse! Not concentrating. No easy fix on this, as I also had a lazy sanding cock-up as well. If I had another bit of neck wood I'd probably just start again, but I don't so I'll probably fix it with something stuck over the top. 

None of this is helped by having the worst work space imaginable. Freezing cold garage full of junk, tools piled up on an old fridge, roof leaking in places, cheap ricketty workbench that rocks all over the place when you are doing anything. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Some really useful and pragmatic practical approaches photo'd here @axisus, from the simple clamped fret saw guide to the full scale printouts  Ace.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock