Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My first attempt at making a guitar has started

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Update: I have now sprayed and aged the body and neck. I have to say that I am very pleased with both. Assembling the bits of the guitar now (just placing together), I have to say that it looks amazing - so close to my original picture but better as it is all tangible. This project, despite mistakes and errors looks like it far exceeds my expectations. My only real reservation is that the Bigsby is somewhat mellow and reserved in use. Never tried one before so I didn't have any real expectation, but I have to say that I prefer a Strat type trem in terms of what you can get out of it. I made what I consider to be a big error of judgement as well, or more a case of missing the obvious. Might reveal that at some point. I'l upload pix later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019

Body sprayed black, Chi-Rho image added, imitation 'wear & tear' added to body (or should that be subtracted?)

Shielded the scratchplate. Painted the cavities with shielding paint.

The neck looked too pristine, so I have done a bit of ageing. I created a solution with wire wool and vinegar, left for about a week to get ready. painted on, then left for an hour or two. This darkened the wood quite a lot. I sanded it back a bit then applied a few coats of tru-oil. The colour is lovely!

This is the headstock, once again, with an aged look. I created the deal artwork in Adobe illustrator software and printed on to transfer paper. White on black was tricky, but it seemed to work well when finished. The serial number is my birthday!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    Stunning finish there
  • The white decal paper has worked a treat too.
    WezV said:
    Stunning finish there
    You are too kind Sir!
    The white decal paper has worked a treat too.
    Yeah, it took some work though. You get a white edge where you trim to, so I painted around that using a fine paint brush, having sprayed some paint into a container. Likewise, the black that I created in the artwork didn't match the spray too well. Not a disaster, but a bit more 'showy' than I wanted, so once again, paintbrush out and I went around everything about 1mm from the edge of the lettering. A few coats of lacquer later and it doesn't show much at all. Once over with tinted lacquer to yellow the text a bit.
    edited April 2019

Done! (a few weeks ago actually) here's the finished article:

I decided to stick the other final pictures in a new guitar thread rather than just tack onto the build:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/67315/new-self-build-guitar-day

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I should add: Many thanks to Mark Bailey and his online guitar build course, which was more than invaluable!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WOW! Great job axisus! I am glad that my course helped you with the build...
    The guitar looks really classy - you have a great eye for design.
    Interesting to see how you have learned along the way - and respect for using your own initiative to achieve what you wanted...that is what it is all about. Thanks for the credit - and for sharing the process with us. Here is a link to the course for anyone else who might be interested in taking a look.

Anyone can make guitars...
  • That's a really great looking guitar, @axisus :) There are a lot of features that catch the eye. Very well executed all round. How does it sound?
    That's a really great looking guitar, @axisus :) There are a lot of features that catch the eye. Very well executed all round. How does it sound?
    Well I'm not the best guitarist in the world, but the guitar itself sounds great! I may stick a wee video up at some point - discreetly so not too many people see it!
  • axisus said:
    That's a really great looking guitar, @axisus :) There are a lot of features that catch the eye. Very well executed all round. How does it sound?
    Well I'm not the best guitarist in the world, but the guitar itself sounds great! I may stick a wee video up at some point - discreetly so not too many people see it!
    Naaaah - big and bold is what we want!  :)