Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone got a Van derived Car? (Kangoo, Berlingo, Tourneo etc) - Update NCD Soon!

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    BigMonka said:
    Anyone know whether these van-derived-cars have the lower speed limit of a van (60mph on a motorway/dual carrageway) - not that many van drivers go at that speed.

As far as I remember from when I did a speed awareness course last year yes you have to keep to the van speeds in those situations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    BigMonka said:
    Anyone know whether these van-derived-cars have the lower speed limit of a van (60mph on a motorway/dual carrageway) - not that many van drivers go at that speed.

As far as I remember from when I did a speed awareness course last year yes you have to keep to the van speeds in those situations.
    I think so too ( although I don't think that applies on motorways - vans are 10mph less where it's marked as national speed limit otherwise the marked speed limit or 70mph on motorways I thought). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigMonka said:

no you don't, if its a proper car derived van then speed limit is the same as car.
    Watched a few demo/review vids with Mrs DJ last night on these.....the Ford one is giving us CAS....also scores 5 stars on the NCAP tests compared to 3 for the Berlingo, so that's a big tick in the Ford's box.

I think a test drive is required....
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    BigMonka said:

I think so too ( although I don't think that applies on motorways - vans are 10mph less where it's marked as national speed limit otherwise the marked speed limit or 70mph on motorways I thought). 
    Oh yeah you're right about motorways, it's just reduced on single and dual carriageway national speed limit.

BigMonka said:

no you don't, if its a proper car derived van then speed limit is the same as car.
    That's why I'm asking - are things like Berlingos and Tourneo Connects based on a car? I didn't think they were, but I say that with very little confidence.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited August 2015
    Hmmm, the highway code only mentions "car derived vans" (so like an Astra van), nothing about "van derived cars" so I guess car rules applies (maybe), but I'm sure the guy on the course said they were still classed as vans.

• BigMonka said:
    BigMonka said:

Oh yeah you're right about motorways, it's just reduced on single and dual carriageway national speed limit.

BigMonka said:

That's why I'm asking - are things like Berlingos and Tourneo Connects based on a car? I didn't think they were, but I say that with very little confidence.
    Tourneo Connect is a MPV I think so its a moot point if that is the one you are looking at.
    edited August 2015

Tourneo Connect is a MPV I think so its a moot point if that is the one you are looking at.
    I thought it was based on the Transit Connect....but is that derived from the Focus?

So it's a car derived from a van that's derived from a car, which = car.

Hmmm, the highway code only mentions "car derived vans" (so like an Astra van), nothing about "van derived cars" so I guess car rules applies (maybe), but I'm sure the guy on the course said they were still classed as vans.

The guy on my course acknowledged there was some vagueness about what constituted a van ( this was just before I spent two weeks driving a 1991 Mercedes diesel based motorhome so I was paying attention - the reality being that it was so slow that breaking speed limits wasn't much of an issue)but if it looks like a van it probably is a van was what he said. 
  • but if it looks like a van it probably is a van was what he said. 
    then he was talking tosh, the Kangoo looks like a van but it is based on a Scenic/Clio
    edited August 2015
    Googles - I think what I've understood is that a car derived van ( eg an Astra van) is subject to car speed limits but a van derived car ( eg the Berlingo) is subject to van speed limits. So that's 10mph slower on some roads in a not particularly fast vehicle, not a deal breaker I wouldn't have thought.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Dunno about the Berlingo and things like that but my picasso is an mpv but classed as an estate on the v5, I'd say check that way if you can through dealers etc.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    ICBM said:
    MPVs are fantastic, I wouldn't drive anything else now. All other vehicles are the wrong shape.

:)

It's hard to understand why you would be willing to sacrifice all sorts of supposed street cred until you find out just how well-designed the good ones are.
    its nothing to do with street cred, its the fact that they are hideous and bland and dull as ditchwater. YEs they are practical, loads of space, etc etc, but they are MASSIVELY BORING.

Also, every boring git you come across has one. That stiff bloke who goes on about how "whacky" his sense of humour is? He drives a Zafira.

That other boring get who goes on about how much shit he can lug in to take to the tip (once a piggin year)? Drives a Pissasso.

The worst ones are the ones that are souped up to look sporty. That's akin to polishing a turd. Its a minibus, accept it and remove the "Sport" badge and spoilers please.

Yes, car opinions are often illogical, but I have an irremovable loathing of these things.

They are the automotive equivalent of a fleece jacket - practical and functional but utterly devoid of anything remotely interesting

I've just ordered a S Max Turbo Ghia X Special, with 20" chrome wheels. 4 tailpipes and bonnet air intake baffle
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The very best vehicle we have ever had was a VW Sharan 1.9 tdi auto. Drove like a car, decently fast, handled well, good on fuel.

Carried four adults and lots of luggage in supreme comfort, seven people wasn't a squeeze, take out the third row of seats and you can get two big mastiffs in there, take out all of the seats and it is almost a van.

Would have another in a heartbeat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thread bump from last August....new van based car heading our way! :)

On Saturday I'll be picking up our rather lovely Ford Tourneo Connect. 

Ex-demonstrator one with all the bells and whistles (well sat nav and heated seats).
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Since when did van drivers stick to speed limits?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Googles - I think what I've understood is that a car derived van ( eg an Astra van) is subject to car speed limits but a van derived car ( eg the Berlingo) is subject to van speed limits. So that's 10mph slower on some roads in a not particularly fast vehicle, not a deal breaker I wouldn't have thought.
    What I was told by a Police driving instructor is if its based on a car chassis then same speed limit as cars however if it has a van chassis then its 10 MPH less then the national speed limit. Only real way to know is either get nicked speeding in van based chassis or goto the manufacturer and ask them.
  • So the Tourneo Connect is a van based car and subject to van speed limits. Quite a big vehicle, Mrs not -the -dj must be starting a football team.
  • So the Tourneo Connect is a van based car and subject to van speed limits. Quite a big vehicle, Mrs not -the -dj must be starting a football team.
    Still not sure, but I'll ask them to confirm on Saturday (I'll ask them if they have a faster horse while I'm there)

On the test drive I did 70 on the A5, and it's surprisingly nippy round town.

It's only 88mm longer than the Nissan Qashqai we have now.

A bit wider but again not by much, it's actually quite deceptive, down to just being a big cube at the back.

The seven seater "grand" one is a fair bit longer, but the regular one not so much.

It will also be handy if I ever go to a fancy dress party as Slash, plenty of headroom upfront.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom