Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone got a Van derived Car? (Kangoo, Berlingo, Tourneo etc) - Update NCD Soon!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• May have been the grand one I'd seen before then. I might have said it earlier in the discussion but I remember camping next to people who kept their parrot in theirs (Kangoo I think) when they were in the tent. So, room enough for a parrot, go as Long John Silver if you forget your Slash hat.

We are hiring another motor home this summer so having my head around the different speed limits is useful. I much prefer driving a van based vehicle on the whole (motor homes sometimes having weird sticking out bits and not coping with the wind excepted) to driving a standard car. Although last summer after two weeks in an ancient Hymer my 1.2 Seat felt like a rocket car!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    @not_the_dj ; how the power on that? I've got a Galaxy 1.9tDi 140hp and its great but its the old model and I've had it nearly 10 years. For the last two MOT's I've been pondering what to do if it failed bigtime and had to go for scrap, and I've looked at the Grand Tourneo Connect and the Merceded Citan but settled on a VW Caddy Maxi Life for the simple reason that it has ISOfix seats easily (if a bit weighty) removable.

I do  know the back row of the Grand Tourneo can be unbolted but I dont think the middle row come out very easily. The reason I like the old Galaxy is that all the rear seats are currently out and I have a huge space for gear and work stuff and camping if I need to. Everything else I've looked at is compromised in theat regard except the VW.

I had hoped the s/h cost of the Caddy Maxi Life would have dropped due to the emissions shenanigins but it appears not. They are horrendous money compared with the Ford. At least £5k more like for like. But you can get a 140hp engine in the VW which you can't in the Ford. Hence my initial question.
    Richardj said:
    The very best vehicle we have ever had was a VW Sharan 1.9 tdi auto. Drove like a car, decently fast, handled well, good on fuel.

Carried four adults and lots of luggage in supreme comfort, seven people wasn't a squeeze, take out the third row of seats and you can get two big mastiffs in there, take out all of the seats and it is almost a van.

Would have another in a heartbeat.
    Except the newer versions have all the seats fold flat inside, Not removeable and you lose about 8" of headroom, plus there are loads of nooks and crannies for dirt and dust to get into if you do use it like a van (which I do ,'03 Galaxy Ghia).
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2016
    hywelg said:
    @not_the_dj ; how the power on that? I've got a Galaxy 1.9tDi 140hp and its great but its the old model and I've had it nearly 10 years. For the last two MOT's I've been pondering what to do if it failed bigtime and had to go for scrap, and I've looked at the Grand Tourneo Connect and the Merceded Citan but settled on a VW Caddy Maxi Life for the simple reason that it has ISOfix seats easily (if a bit weighty) removable.

I do  know the back row of the Grand Tourneo can be unbolted but I dont think the middle row come out very easily. The reason I like the old Galaxy is that all the rear seats are currently out and I have a huge space for gear and work stuff and camping if I need to. Everything else I've looked at is compromised in theat regard except the VW.

I had hoped the s/h cost of the Caddy Maxi Life would have dropped due to the emissions shenanigins but it appears not. They are horrendous money compared with the Ford. At least £5k more like for like. But you can get a 140hp engine in the VW which you can't in the Ford. Hence my initial question.
    @hywelg It's the 1.6 Diesel, 113 bhp. We've been out in it with 3 adults and two kids with heavy car seats, but not fully loaded for a camping holiday. 

We did consider the VW early on in this search but they're just way too long for our driveway.

The rear seats are removable, they're split 1/3 & 2/3 but the 2/3 one is most certainly a two man job.
  • Ive used mazda 5s for a long time - like a truck go like stink and indestructible and tardis like in terms of kit (the premacy before was even better - but avoid low pro wheels and tyres - kerb it with loads of kit in and the sidewalls die..) and ubiquitous ...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Since when did van drivers stick to speed limits?
    True, I can't even reach them in the Transit.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The rear seats are removable, they're split 1/3 & 2/3 but the 2/3 one is most certainly a two man job.
    @not_the_dj how easy are they to remove? Are they bolted or with some quick release mechanism? When I went to the dealers they couldn't tell me any of this stuff.

I am guessing the floor isn't flat when the seats are out?
  • I'll let you know after Saturday when we get it. I've seen online demos and photos and pretty sure it ends up flat.
    I'll let you know after Saturday when we get it. I've seen online demos and photos and pretty sure it ends up flat.
    Found this which shows the second row seats and how to remove them (right at the end) trying to find how to do the third row of the Grand Tourneo.

I'll let you know after Saturday when we get it. I've seen online demos and photos and pretty sure it ends up flat.
    Hmmm, the Grand does not have removable seats.  WTF...???
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3450
    @not_the_dj wondering how you're getting on with the Tourneo as we're considering one at the moment...
    @not_the_dj wondering how you're getting on with the Tourneo as we're considering one at the moment...

It's great @Moe_Zambeek. Only issue is the boot needs quite a space behind it to open as it's so massive so no reversing into a space at the supermarket. t's great for days out with the kids. We've even folded up the seats and sat in the back having a picnic (during a downpour). Drives fine and it's comfy, all the tech works great (titanium spec).
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3450
    edited June 2016
    Sounds good. Top of the list right now...:)
    The Grand Tourneo Connect has non-removable seats, they all fold flat, and of course you do lose some load height. For me the biggest downside is the number of nooks and crannies for dirt and dust to get lodged around the flaps that form the load Bay when all folded flat.

The 5 seat Tourneo is much better in that the 3 rear seats come out very easily and they're not that heavy (I've tried). When out you have a much better load height but of course it's quite a bit shorter. The rear floor is not flat though, there is a well for the rear passengers feet which makes using it as a camping vehicle difficult.

It's such a shame Ford use this system in all their MPV's now. My older style Galaxy was much better with its individually removable seats and a flat load bay, much more versatile and easier to clean.

I'm still in two minds about what to get as my next vehicle. I was hoping the VW Caddy Maxi Life would have dropped in price by now, but VW prices are holding up well following the emissions scandal.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Does the boot have a lip?
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew;1120968" said:
    Does the boot have a lip?
    Not in the mine. The shipping drops right out onto the road everything I open the boot.