Jaguar Pickups?

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
edited November 2013 in Guitar
I've just acquired a very tidy Sunburst CIJ Jaguar minus pickups...

Decisions, decisions...

Any recommendations? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited November 2013
    Tricky one. Depends what you want out of the guitar.
    If you intend to use it live and loud, I'd go for something well-potted and probably without the claws. Often see hotrail-types being used in the bridge position.
    If it's for recording or you want 'proper' Jag noises, then get some Duncan Antiquities. Or even some Japanese ones- they're pretty cheap secondhand and they might be what you want, despite being generally derided by Offsetters. Even the 'Duncan Designed' ones on my Squier VM sound OK.
  • Thanks for that...

Further thoughts:

a. Budget is a constraining issue (at the moment)

b. I intend to use it for a mix of both live and studio work

c. Ideally, I'd like to get a mix of 'proper' Jag tones AND pokier stuff.

D. My next post will probably be "Has anyone got something for sale?" :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• @theguitarweasel

Perhaps he can help? I know nothing about jag pickups, but what ash doesn't know about pickups isn't worth knowing :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    edited November 2013
    If you want the proper Jag sound you do need the claws. They don't cause microphonics if they're properly bonded to the pickup. Probably the best way to get them is just to buy a set of the Japanese pickups and worry about changing the coils later if necessary, since most aftermarket pickups don't come with claws.

If you know you don't want that and do want something pokier but not a rails-type pickup or a mini humbucker, I'd ask TheGuitarWeasel for something like a fat Strat pickup for the neck and a Tele bridge pickup (on a Jag baseplate obviously) for the bridge - there should be the height and width to fit it if there's no claw.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    I've got two Jag (just like prescot). A CIJ, and a Squier VM. The squier's pickups sound better than the Japanese one to be honest. The CIJ pickups sound a bit Strat like, whereas the Duncan Designed ones from the Squier sound a lot more jangly, albeit a bit hotter.
    There are Duncan Hot Jag and Quarter Pounders for Jags too. I tried the Quarter Pound bridge pickup in my MIJ, but it didn't do it for me; not clear enough.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935

This guy has a good reputation on Offset Guitars, and his prices are supposed to be keen. Certainly a lot more affordable than The Creamery, or Lollar. Don't know if you can get teh full assembley from him though, the covers and claws.

http://www.jlguitars.com/jaguar-pickups

• They look great and as you say very reasonably priced at €70 a set.
    Ah yes, he has had a couple of good reviews on the Offset Forum. These occasionally come up on Ebay too. I've often been tempted to get some for my MIJ.
  • Shame on you all for not mentioning Novak, mojo or even lollar.

Bkp can sell you the marr set too. Apparently they are not advertised but they can be requested. 

On a budget I would buy the VM squire Duncan design ones. They are not bad at all
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    edited November 2013
    Sorry Guzman, you did mention lollar

Lollars are 110 dollas for a set with claws. That's not all that bad
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I've got the Seymour Duncan set, think they are called sjag1 or something.

The Neck pup is sublime- I really love it.  The Bridge is pretty thin and middy and I don't really like it but I think that is the nature of the beast. A humbucker or a p90 would be good in the bridge (as in would make it more versatile) but I can't bring myself to do it!
    The Duncan Strat-type minihumbuckers fit a Jag without modification, if that helps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Lots of food for thought there - cheers! :)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11877
    edited November 2013 tFB Trader
    If anyone wants period correct 'claws' I can get them ... I also can custom wind Jag pickups (with or without claws) ... about a 2 and a half week wait at the moment. I'm also toying with the idea of tapped Jags,  a P90 in a Jag shell ... and a version of my HardMan hot Strat in a Jag package.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tapped Jag pickups would be great. There's even an extra switch on the Jag which could be pressed into service to tap them, since hardly anyone actually uses the bass cut. If you did the rewire for series switching as well that would make for a seriously versatile guitar, going from 'vintage' in parallel to 'hot' in series, as well as the individual pickups.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11877
    tFB Trader
    See I'm not even a pretty face .... er ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I'm GASSING, hard. I don't even want a jaguar.
  • But a tapped p90... Yum. Vintage output through to mega liquid lead p90 at the flick of a switch.

Could something similar work on a bucker? My build has master volume, tone and a blend pot, but a switch could be put in between the blend and the pickups to control a shunt - so it would have a vintage mode and a modern mode. Not sure if it would be possible on a humbucker, they're already stuffed with wire...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248

my Seymour Duncan set of 3! jag pickups are due to come out of a Schecter Hellcat VI this weekend

the model is Seymour Duncan SJAG-1 

If the replacements please me more, I might sell