Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

jeff buckley hallelujah lyrics

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16005
what's the story here...Jeff's wonderful lyrics ( what's going on below....you never show that to me....) are somewhat different to LCs....what gives?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Leonard wrote it, Jeff changed some of them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Apparently Leonard Cohen originally wrote about 80 verses for it, and doesn't always use the same ones when he plays it.

The song seems to have taken on something of a life of its own now, but the definitive and best version will always be Cohen's… whichever one he chooses to sing.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that a lot of people refer to it as "Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah" or put it at the top of a list of "covers that are better than the original". It isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I quite like the Rufus Wainwright version.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
     It isn't.
    Yes it is. ;)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited September 2015
    I think Jeff Buckley was inspired to cover the song after hearing John Cale's 1991 version (which is really great).

The story goes that when Cale asked Leonard Cohen for the lyrics, Cohen faxed over many pages of verses, some of which he'd only done live occasionally, or not at all. 

Cale went through them all and, as he put it, "picked out the cheeky ones"...  :)

So the Buckley version uses Cale's lyric choices from three years earlier, pretty much word for word. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I fucking hate that song.
    Bucket said:
    ICBM said:
     It isn't.
    Yes it is. ;)
    No, it really isn't. See above for a partial explanation why… it's just a cover of someone else's version which misses the point of the original.

Not to mention that Buckley's voice grates.

This is how it's meant to be...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ive seen LC live several times. The man is a genius.     Even a good cover of a cover doesn't come close.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx;775183" said:
    I've never got it either. I seem to be in the minority though whenever I've expressed this opinion.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Iamnobody said:
    Drew_fx;775183" said:
    I've never got it either. I seem to be in the minority though whenever I've expressed this opinion.
    Lets be Hallelujah hatin' bumchums.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2015
    ICBM said:
    Bucket said:
    ICBM said:
     It isn't.
    Yes it is. ;)
    No, it really isn't. See above for a partial explanation why… it's just a cover of someone else's version which misses the point of the original.

Not to mention that Buckley's voice grates.

This is how it's meant to be...

I love Cohen's vocals on that, but the band and backing singers just make it sound really cheesy to me.

So sorry, but I'm with @Bucket on this one as I'd much rather listen to the Buckley cover of a cover.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Yup, I'm with @bucket too - respect the LC version, but JB betters it.
    It's that horrible wailing he does, especially at the end, that totally ruins it. I never liked his voice anyway but he ruins a great song with it here.

The whole point of the song is that it's meant to be downbeat and resigned, not forced.

Each to their own I suppose, but I can totally understand Drew's point of view if all you know is any of the covers. (Including the Cale one, sorry.)

• Bucket said:
    ICBM said:
     It isn't.
    Yes it is. ;)

What drives me mad is people talk about what a beautiful take jeffs is, but it's about 19 takes spliced together
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

Well this has turned out to be a nice positive thread hasn't it

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:

Well this has turned out to be a nice positive thread hasn't it

:)
    Well apart from Drew we all like the song, just different versions!

No one's right, no one's wrong.

• Best version is Jonathan Kreisbergs solo guitar.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    It's that horrible wailing he does, especially at the end, that totally ruins it. I never liked his voice anyway but he ruins a great song with it here.

The whole point of the song is that it's meant to be downbeat and resigned, not forced.
    I don't think it sounds forced at all. It's not the best track on the album though (Grace as a whole is a masterpiece).

As you so rightly say, each to their own - we're not going to agree, are we? :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16005
    KKJale said:
    I think Jeff Buckley was inspired to cover the song after hearing John Cale's 1991 version (which is really great).

The story goes that when Cale asked Leonard Cohen for the lyrics, Cohen faxed over many pages of verses, some of which he'd only done live occasionally, or not at all. 

Cale went through them all and, as he put it, "picked out the cheeky ones"...  :)

So the Buckley version uses Cale's lyric choices from three years earlier, pretty much word for word. 
    ah so the saucy extra lyrics are actually LCs....? cooool
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16005
    thanks guys :)
    tae be or not tae be