SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PSA Gibson R9 £1800 in whitechapel

What's Hot
jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2476
edited September 2015 in Guitars £
This came up on Gumtree just now. No affiliation and might well be too good to be true but thought someone on here might be interested: 

www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-les-paul-1959-standard-reissue/1134027013
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• do you think its too good to be true? Looks ok, but I'm no expert

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattacjones;784017" said:
    do you think its too good to be true? Looks ok, but I'm no expert
    I think the guitar in the pics is genuine, yes. Just might be a 'send me a bank transfer and I'll post it to you from Romania' job!

• The guitar is indeed a genuine CS LP. It's a 2007 R9. 
    However, I think I have seen this particular guitar, with this particular number somewhere else before. I'm not quite sure, so don't quote on me on that. But I have a weird feeling about that Serial no. 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1340
    Always too good to be true, at that price.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Victor93 said:
    The guitar is indeed a genuine CS LP. It's a 2007 R9. 
    However, I think I have seen this particular guitar, with this particular number somewhere else before. I'm not quite sure, so don't quote on me on that. But I have a weird feeling about that Serial no. 
    Yep, I've seen it before as well. Looks like a classic Gumtree scam.
  • The images are hosted on ebay servers ... I can't find the corresponding auction though (open or closed). It might be a USA auction though. I'd be a little wary of it.

• All the Gumtree images are hosted on eBay servers.
  • Victor93 said:
    All the Gumtree images are hosted on eBay servers.
    Huh, the more you know ... :)

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Sellers name ... J Ripperoff
  • Gumtree = don't touch with a bargepole
  • I've got a lovely R7 up for £1750 & it's completely genuine :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1340
    I once saw an R7 sell for £1550, and it was also genuine.

Not an R9, though.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1985
    Victor93 said:
    All the Gumtree images are hosted on eBay servers.
    Huh, the more you know ... :)

Gumtree are owned by eBay..have been for some time.
  • 2007's would sell for even a bit more than most other years, as some LP enthusiasts would swear that 2007, 2013 and 2014 were some of the best years since the original Gibsons came out. (By that, meaning the late 50's/early 60's)
    Either the guy doesn't know what the guitar is worth, or it's a scam.. or really needs the money. Someone should ask him for a picture of the wiring, or the pickups or something very, very particular, such as the third fret, etc. 
    Not that the guitar isn't genuine, but if it's a scam he probably wouldn't have a picture of it. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5113
    edited September 2015
    Victor93 said:
    2007's would sell for even a bit more than most other years, as some LP enthusiasts would swear that 2007, 2013 and 2014 were some of the best years since the original Gibsons came out. (By that, meaning the late 50's/early 60's.)
    Why would 2007 guitars sell for more than 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 etc? There's no structural difference and I don't believe there's any evidence that they sell for any more than other years in the 2000s up to 2012. In theory the 2012 models should go for a bit less due to the laminate board, and 2013 and 2014 models for a bit more because of the improvements. That's all in theory of course and individual R9s can sell for more or less whatever the year, depending on the flame top, the condition/originality, the weight, the case (Lifton or not), COA present or not, etc. All IMHO of course.  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Can't see anything going wrong by being lured into Whitechapel.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Rox said:
    Can't see anything going wrong by being lured into Whitechapel.
    hahaha
  • Why would 2007 guitars sell for more than 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 etc?
    Because most people online agree that the Gibsons QC got a whole lot better in 2007 and the woods they started using were of better quality. 
    You see I did not make this up.There are loads of forum posts about this. Same thing as with the goodwood stuff. Is it worth more ? Nah, I wouldn't think so... but it'll sell for slightly more than a 2012 USA Std would sell for.All because of the stories people tell about them. 
    Also apparently and according to, what most people that owned several RI's said online, 2006 and 2007 were some of the most consistent years of the 00's in terms of quality. 
  • I so knew it ! Well done, Nikolas !