Relic'ed LP Jr maker (Poss EU)?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chrisj1602 said:   Here's a '59 with issues for £2999
    If it's the one I looked at, the finish is a dull brick red-ish solid colour masking god knows what, the black on the back of the neck means issues too.  I didn't play it as one look said -nah- to me.  (all IMO)
    Chuffola said:   On Gumtree in NI. No idea if its genuine...
    That's lovely, a bit faded but lovely.  I do wonder what it sounds like.  Looks genuine to me from the pics.
    (Down, down bad GAS monster)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    Yup, the NI one is the one to follow up (take cash and haggle). Aging and colour under the pickguard looks genuine enough to be worth the visit. A well-done neck repair is the least worrisome repair.

The dealer one - hacked and bodged refin - is laughably priced (not the first time that's ever been said of vintage US guitars in the UK).
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Yip, a good repair should be no issue at all if you're looking for a player.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17458
    here is my refin of a refin.   the photo's don't quite show how luminous the yellow refin was.  it was terrible so we took it back to its original colour and refretted so it played like a new guitar

with filler in the obligatory neck break

i went slightly against modern trends as I didn't want to relic this.  I would much rather have an honest shiny new refin than fake age on a genuinely old guitar.  essentially we took it back to a new condition to withstand another 50 years of use
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That sir, is beautiful, good call  :)

Yeah that's nice. Mines a relic finish but I like shiny too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    GSPBASSES said:

DrBob said:
    Ooh really ? I'd assumed that DC Jr's were 4k plus (He says like he's got 2k in his back pocket !) so where would you go looking for such a beast ?

jd0272 said:
    There's a distinct difference being on this side of the Pond. Often see Jnrs on les paul forums going for $3-4k, but they've got the supply. We don't. Find me a genuine 1958/9 LP DC TV Jnr, in the UK, for £2k.

Easy enough to go down the route if shipping one in but you'd be obv adding costs. If I recall there'd be minimal duty to pay if its a genuine vintage unstrument.

Or you could go to some one like Eternal Guitars in the UK and have one made. 

If your into a bit of Jazz/Fusion have a look at a video of Jess Lewis playing "Get it Like That" (she was only 16 when the video was made) on the link below.

Okay mate, PM incoming !
  • Cor blimey wez, that's lovely...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17458
    jd0272 said:
    yeah, I like relics too.   I do relic finishes on new guitars.   I will also relic new parts to go onto old guitars, or relic small sections of old guitars to tie in a new repair.    But if its a full refin on an old guitar I much prefer to go new. not always full gloss like the one above, but certainly no fake wear
    WezV said:
    jd0272 said:
    yeah, I like relics too.   I do relic finishes on new guitars.   I will also relic new parts to go onto old guitars, or relic small sections of old guitars to tie in a new repair.    But if its a full refin on an old guitar I much prefer to go new. not always full gloss like the one above, but certainly no fake wear
    Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. I like nothing better than to see a genuine piece of guitar heritage that's been cruelly abused returned to its former loveliness.

But mine was made this year so that don't count   ;)

The pain is, at least over here ie UK, if I'd put another coupla thou into the pot, I could have a REAL 1958 DC Jnr TV yellow, but they just aren't bloody well available. Over in the States, no bother, here, no chance. Islands. I tell ya.