Fitting a Bigsby to a Les Paul

What's Hot

My friday afternoon boredom has lead my brain to think about fitting a Bigsby to one of my guitars.

But...I don't want any drilling, so what's the shopping list for that sort of thing then?

Not sure which guitar I want it on (and it's just a friday afternoon idea) possibly my Les Paul Smartwood Exotic (carved top) or my old The Paul (flat top)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Just go for the Vibramate and either the B7 for the carved top or a B5 for the flat 'un...easy peasie :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't spoil a perfectly good Gibbo
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    Just go for the Vibramate and either the B7 for the carved top or a B5 for the flat 'un...easy peasie :)

This thing: http://www.rock-gear.de/en/Guitar/Spareparts/Tremolos-bridges-tailpieces/Vibramate-V7-LP-Mount-Kit.html

Ouch, that's a bit pricey for two plates...

• I really should have googled prices before images...on for the back burner I think
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, they cost a bit..

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74388

Ouch, that's a bit pricey for two plates…

Not compared to the loss of value by drilling the guitar, or paying someone to fit the Bigsby if you don't fancy doing it yourself. (It's not quite as easy as it looks, to do it really right.)

But it's always puzzled me why Bigsby have never made a dedicated Les Paul model with the correct fittings just to slot onto the existing tailpiece studs and under the strap button screw. The position of the tailpiece relative to the end of the guitar is absolutely standard on LPs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    edited November 2013 tFB Trader
    This has jumped the gun on my article ... but voila
    To my mind the best Gibson 'Trem unit' ... as fitted to my V. No routing ... no extra screw holes ... complete reversibility. A light delicate action combined with a third up and an octave down.
    Stetsbar ... by the way.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @TheGuitarWeasel is that mounted over the pickguard? If so were you able to get the action low enough? I fitted one to an Epi LP and the bridge ended up on the stops with the action just about acceptable. 
    That's mounted over the pickguard and it's bottomed out on the down adjustment ... however that's a very low action. It's the Stetsbar's/Epiphone combination Achilles heel ... but a fairly minor one. I'm going to be replacing the plate with a custom one made for me shortly ... in red perspex (out of respect or Wilko :) ), so I will incorporate a cut out for the Stetsbar ... and keep the old Epi plate to return stuff to normal if I sell. I think the same problem would exist on some SGs.

I honestly feel that the action and feel of the Stetsbar is worth making a few changes/compromises for. I'm now using the trem so much I have gone to a graphite nut ... and will have to look at Trem reinforced strings ... as my D'Addarios loose their balls (oooooer) with over use.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    don't mind me, I'm just here to collect the tears of traditionalists...

are you going to relic it?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Considering that Bigsby > No Bigsby, I say do it :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • @theguitarweasel, that looks cracking, congrats on taking the plunge!
  • Lixarto said:
    Considering that Bigsby > No Bigsby, I say do it :)
    Oh I'm certainly in the pro-bigsby camp, just the first time I've thought about actually adding one to one of my existing guitars....but the price has put me off a bit :-(

Maybe for my 'next' purchase (which won't be for a while I'm sure). 
    @theguitarweasel, that looks cracking, congrats on taking the plunge!
    Well the V now has a V2 Venom 17k alnico 5 bridge pickup ... and a Scrapyard Dog Plus neck one ... and I have to say, feels superb and plays beautifully. I trashed the tone knob (who the hell uses one of those things anyway) and made my usual 'spin a split' progressive tap for the Venom. Now it does somewhere between Tele and Rickenbacker HiGain wound all the way off ... and bluesy/heavy rock bellow full out. Combine a versatile pickup layout that allows mega Tele style cut for rhythm with a light and readily usable Trem ... then throw in the pose-ability of a black V ... soon to have a blood red scratchplate ... and I'm somewhere close to heaven :)

Will be fitting the 'Luthiers Love' locking tuners from Axesrus instead of the standard Grovers though. The trem makes you want to use it to the full ... and non locking tuners don't really 'mutt the custard' for stability.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    The answer to "Should I put a Bigsby on it?" is always "yes".
  • paulk said:
    The answer to "Should I put a Bigsby on it?" is always "no".
    Fixed that for you!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    Oh ye of little taste ;)
  • @theguitarweasel, that looks cracking, congrats on taking the plunge!
    Well the V now has a V2 Venom 17k alnico 5 bridge pickup ... and a Scrapyard Dog Plus neck one ... and I have to say, feels superb and plays beautifully. I trashed the tone knob (who the hell uses one of those things anyway) and made my usual 'spin a split' progressive tap for the Venom. Now it does somewhere between Tele and Rickenbacker HiGain wound all the way off ... and bluesy/heavy rock bellow full out. Combine a versatile pickup layout that allows mega Tele style cut for rhythm with a light and readily usable Trem ... then throw in the pose-ability of a black V ... soon to have a blood red scratchplate ... and I'm somewhere close to heaven :)

Will be fitting the 'Luthiers Love' locking tuners from Axesrus instead of the standard Grovers though. The trem makes you want to use it to the full ... and non locking tuners don't really 'mutt the custard' for stability.
    Don't want to come across as uncool, but I'm well looking forward to buying your pickups again. :)

I have a volume, tone and blend pot loom and I look forward to using it, but wouldn't mind some kind of tapping thing as it's probably (like your V) going to have some pretty hard rockin' pickups in.  Either a tap or a split.  I wouldn't want an extra knob though, so it'll be a switch (hopefully a mini switch but...er...big). 
    tFB Trader
    I love me dial-able split :)  But back to the LP/trem thing ... to me this is the ideal. I can chose my guitar ... based on feel and ... yes, looks then have a trem system on that doesn't mean me having to carry allen keys ... or cut my balls off ( ... er) or have the Grand Canyon routed in ... and a set of bedsprings attached to a combine harvester stuffed in the arse end of my instrument :)

• I got a bigsby b7 from the states off eBay, way cheaper than here and got through customs for nowt.