Fitting a Bigsby to a Les Paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I got a bigsby b7 from the states off eBay, way cheaper than here and got through customs for nowt.
    Good point - I've had a few from this guy on ebay and never got copped by customs either..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Sorry, meant to say, "I know a bloke who...."
    /:)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    I got a bigsby b7 from the states off eBay, way cheaper than here and got through customs for nowt.
    Good point - I've had a few from this guy on ebay and never got copped by customs either..

He he, I like his photos of 'previous happy customers'.
  • My friday afternoon boredom has lead my brain to think about fitting a Bigsby to one of my guitars.

But...I don't want any drilling, so what's the shopping list for that sort of thing then?

Not sure which guitar I want it on (and it's just a friday afternoon idea) possibly my Les Paul Smartwood Exotic (carved top) or my old The Paul (flat top)

hit yourself in the face with a hammer
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10007
    'Nuff said:

See also: Neil Young, Johnny Marr, Alan Sparhawk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2013

Well I can't shift this idea, but I might have problems with both of the two guitars I was thinking of Bigsbying.

My Smartwood is a thin body and the end plate for the Vibramate will be taller then the actual guitar. Looks like it'll work but I don't think it'll look right.

So how about my 'The Paul'....oh poo, look where the pick-up selector switch is....grrr.

So do I dare add a Bigsby to my newish Trad Pro 2? Hmmm. That's my main gigging guitar these days and I wasn't planning on having a Bigsby on that.

So what do I do?......I know save up and get some sort of classy ESXXX in a year or so, that's what ;-)

• not_the_dj;80615" said:
    Well I can't shift this idea, but I might have problems with both of the two guitars I was thinking of Bigsbying.

My Smartwood is a thin body and the end plate for the Vibramate will be taller then the actual guitar. Looks like it'll work but I don't think it'll look right.

So how about my 'The Paul'....oh poo, look where the pick-up selector switch is....grrr.

So do I dare add a Bigsby to my newish Trad Pro 2? Hmmm. That's my main gigging guitar these days and I wasn't planning on having a Bigsby on that.

So what do I do?......I know save up and get some sort of classy ESXXX in a year or so, that's what ;-)
    Gas justification syndrome.

Truly inspirational.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bear in mind that bigsbies get in the way of the knobs on most Gibsons, but not so much on Teles. You'll therefore need a regular ES335 and another Tele to put the bigsby on.

It's the only way...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Gas justification syndrome.

Truly inspirational.
    Oh I can justify it to myself easily, it's wife that'll need convincing ;-)