What did I buy?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5006
Yesterday in a dark charity shop I selected a few CDs, one of which I took to be a Megadeath disk.  When I got home I discovered that it was not a Megadeath CD but Meshuggah.  Never heard of Meshuggah so rather than Google for info and play the CD, I thought I would share my story here.

It was the typeface that confused me and it was slightly dark in the shop.  Anyone know anything about Meshuggah?  Type of music or background.  I suspect the disk will be returning to the charity shop as a donation.

This mistake must be worth a few dozen Facepalms.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24712
    If you can't spell Megadeth correctly then I'm not surprised!

Meshuggah:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Not my cuppa tea, I have to say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23323
    If you can't spell Megadeth correctly then I'm not surprised!

>:D<

If you like any kind of modern-ish metal you shouldn't find Meshuggah too scary, although they are a lot heavier than Megadeth.

I'm not a fan, but they are very highly regarded in certain circles.  Intense, technical, progressive stuff - and they allegedly invented the term djent.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Thanks @Philly_Q.  I will give the disk a few spins in the player.

@Fretmeister, apologies for the misspelling but there is a reason.  I learned touch typing close on 25 years ago (on a real typewriter) and certain words (the, death, when, which, who etc.) are stored in muscle memory.  I just think the word, my fingers act and it appears on screen.  Almost like magic.  The typeface on the CD is very stylized, so it is amusing that it was not what I thought it was.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I absolutely love Meshuggah.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh man I would have taken that back so fast haha! I always double check what I buy in dark stores :P hahaha.

That's just my opinion though. The heaviest music in my collection is probably Bullet for My Valentine, aperfectcircle, Hundred Reasons, InMe, Iron Maiden, Bring Me the Horizon and Dream Theater's back catalogue.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27404
    I actually listened to the whole video Fret posted. Didn't find anything remotely like "music" until the synth sound that started at 4:21. Very odd.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I have never heard this band but every time I see the name I am reminded that it's similar to a very strong yiddish insult referenced in a Howard Jacobson novel.

Is the band named after a yiddish or hebrew profanity does anyone know?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I'd say that was a stroke of luck TBH, not that I like Meshuggah, but listening to Dave Mustaine trying to sing is just pure torture.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Skarloey said:
    I have never heard this band but every time I see the name I am reminded that it's similar to a very strong yiddish insult referenced in a Howard Jacobson novel.

Is the band named after a yiddish or hebrew profanity does anyone know?
    It's yiddish for crazy according to their wiki.

I can't understand why you wouldn't at least give a CD a quick spin before decided to get rid.

Which album is it? The last few are very well produced so at least you'll enjoy that side of it....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72796
    I buy a lot of completely random music in charity shops on purpose! OK, I do usually go by the cover to a degree, and the band name to an extent - I think I'd be able to spot a Meshuggah album as some variety of very heavy/dark/metal, and I already know it's not my thing, the heaviest/darkest/metallest I go is HIM - but I actually have a very high success rate and I probably only end up taking back about 1 in 20. I've discovered a huge number of new artists that way, who I'd never head or in many cases never even heard of before - that covers all genres from mainstream pop to hip-hop to alt-rock to jazz to all sorts of other stuff too.

Give it a listen, at least the first few tracks. You'll know by then whether it's your thing or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Oh I will give the CD a listen.  These days the Rugby is eating into my listening and playing time.  No idea why chrispy108 would think I would dispose of the disk without giving it a spin in the player.

I only wrote about this experience to show how I misread the CD jewel case.  I did get new glasses recently, my sight problem is distance and the glasses help in that area.  I remove them to read a newspaper or work on my iPad or computer.  But I was wearing them when I picked up the disk from the shelf.  Items close to me are blurred and indistinct when wearing glasses.  I thought this experience was amusing, it seems that others do not share my sense of humour.

I pick up lots of disks from the charity shop, most or all are by bands I never heard of.  Some are OK, others so so but most find their way back.......

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Well worth giving it a spin, you prob wont like it but everyone should at elast experience it once :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited October 2015
    I think Meshuggah are fantastic, which many might find surprising given the sort of stuff I actually play myself.

I'll have the CD if you don't want it
    Nowt wrong with the band - it's the vocals I can't stand.
  • @fretmeister. Thanks for the tip re. vocals. I fast-forwarded to some singing (or shouty growling noises - as I prefer to call them). Managed to decide it's not my thing.. within 3 seconds (so you saved me 5 minutes of life).

No amount of musical loveliness could make me listen to a band with a singer of that type.

YMMV... and it's probably just because I am exceedingly old!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33868
    Amazing band- probably my favourite metal band of the last 20 years other than Strapping.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love the vocals!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I love Destroy Erase Improve but ever since they introduced the eight string geetars I've gone off them quite a bit (and the whole tech-metal genre as a whole). Although there were some cracking tunes off of Nothing.
  • Drew_fx said:
    I love the vocals!
    Awww come on... you're just trawling for LOLs.
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom