Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who knows about buying TVs?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Panasonic just announced they are stopping plasma now too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Nope. Nothing with a magnet. :/
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    Watch out for the sound quality on the ultra thin sets, they can be really crap. No room to get decent sized speakers in the casing. Not a problem if you're going down the separate amp and speakers route of course.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    brand -  panasonic
    store -  richer sounds  -  unbelievable customer service -  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    LED TVs use LCD technology, just lit with LEDs.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27867
    edited November 2013
    I have 2 Bravias, one straight LCD and one newer LED-lit one. Both are excellent. A bit more money than equivalent Samsungs and LGs but they look much nicer.

Personally I love surround sound, but much more for gaming than TV and films. 

Balls to 3D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have a 32 inch Sony LCD from around 2 years ago and this year sold my Samsung 43 inch plasma 3d and got a latest gen LG 42 inch LED smart tv and the LG is beautiful, the motion processing is superb when watching footie/rugger/f1 and the dedicated 'game' mode is the best I have known.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34007
    WYNIR0 said:
    ung
    octatonic said:
    Samsung screens are great when looking right in front but they don't have a huge viewing angle.
    Surely that depends very much on the panel the particular set uses? 

Best advice I could give would be to go and look at several models in the shop having read reviews 1st and check things such as viewing angle.

Yes but virtually every Samsung panel suffers from this.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I thought this thread was about cross-dressing when I first read the title.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I got a 47 inch LG LED about a year ago. Absolutely brilliant,  but I never use the 3D element now. 

I got mine from some website that was a wee bit cheaper but I'd totally recommend John Lewis for the free 5 year warranty.  
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I've had a 47" Philips for 6 years. It's been as reliable as a Blakeys seg.

If I was buying now I'd be looking at one of the Panasonic LED's and use Richer Sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    bertie said:
    brand -  panasonic
    store -  richer sounds  -  unbelievable customer service -  
    Just noticed that! I think there's a trend emerging here, Parker.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    edited November 2013
    My recommendation is to try a bunch in a a good HiFi/multi media store where they can demo all of the sources you are likely to use. It was a revalation for me as to how some tvs deal with terrestrial signals. Second do the colours look natural? And how does the tv menu system work? Depends on how 'fussy' or keen you are? When I last bought one, plasma was tough to beat in the large sizes >50" but that's probably changed since. I expect to go led next time. +1 for Panasonic

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    edited November 2013
    Panasonic.

Better picture and sound quality than Samsung and LG when I looked, at least as good feature set (the others might have caught up, it was a year or two ago), lower energy consumption, and only very marginally higher price. I've also heard bad things about Samsung and LG reliability compared to Panasonic and other longer established Japanese brands, which although probably the usual small percentage either way is something to think about given that this thread is about a dying Samsung.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Plasma : Panasonic
    LCD : Samsung

Simples :)

And 5.1 is great if you have a good set-up. ;)
    Thanks guys. Your recommendations seemed to unanimously guide me towards Panasonic, so have a nice 42" Smart Viera. Loving everything about it so far - particularly controlling it by my iPhone! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one. :)
    What model did you go for?
    TXL42E6B
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I thought this thread was about cross-dressing when I first read the title.
    You buy many cross dressers then? Or you just in the market and thought you'd see what the advice was ;)

Back on topic.

There is one reason to buy a 3D telly... some are capable of higher refresh rates making them better in 2D mode for fast moving motion. Because to look as good as a competitors telly running at 150hz while trying to show two images you need to be twice as fast to get the same look refresh wise... so some are pretty bloomin' ace at 2D performance.

Only worry about viewing angles if you have a very wide sofa and have lots of peeps round to watch films. If it's you and the otherhalf sat on a 2 seater pointed directly at the TV then you wont notice the poor viewing angles.

Then the only real advise is - pick a screen that's about the size you need for the size of your room and then go play with one at somewhere like Richer Sounds or Currys if you have to... See how it looks to your eyes not the eyes of a reviewer on WhatTV.com.net.org.uk. See how it handles fast moving images like in action films and how well it does colours (and as it's apparently a mystery to many... red bits on a screen aren't meant to bleed across half the screen like a red dress is somehow radioactive adjust the f***ing contrast!) check that the on screen menus give you the option to adjust stuff if you come to dislike a brightness or contrast or whatever level.

Then buy one, and watch it and enjoy