Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which high end acoustic with slim neck- budget of £3000 (new)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4375

buckfast said:
    Now looking for a Dread to complement the Collings OM. Perhaps a D-28?
    Don't overlook the D-18 (or non-Martins patterned after it). Give me a mahogany bodied dread any day, especially with an Adirondack top...that's a guitar you can play anything on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im finding this especially difficult. I am still thinking of Santa Cruz Pre-War Dread (perhaps a custom order with a slimmer neck) or a Martin D-35 or, up another level to a Martin D-28 Authentic 1941 !!!!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4375
    buckfast;870038" said:
    Im finding this especially difficult. I am still thinking of Santa Cruz Pre-War Dread (perhaps a custom order with a slimmer neck) or a Martin D-35 or, up another level to a Martin D-28 Authentic 1941 !!!!
    Maybe throw the HD35 into the mix too, if you liked the D35 but felt something was lacking. That model adds scalloping to the already-lighter 1/4" bracing making it even more responsive, especially in the bass.

Don't the Martin Authentics all have chunky necks?
  • Lewy said:
    buckfast;870038" said:
    Im finding this especially difficult. I am still thinking of Santa Cruz Pre-War Dread (perhaps a custom order with a slimmer neck) or a Martin D-35 or, up another level to a Martin D-28 Authentic 1941 !!!!
    Maybe throw the HD35 into the mix too, if you liked the D35 but felt something was lacking. That model adds scalloping to the already-lighter 1/4" bracing making it even more responsive, especially in the bass.

Don't the Martin Authentics all have chunky necks?
    Yes, your are correct all the Authentics do have the chunky necks as far as I know. I had read somebody post a comment about a Authentic "1937" model having a narrow neck, but many other comments outweigh this view. A shame, as although the prices are stratospheric, they appear to be as close as possible to being a guaranteed gem (to the extent that's possible with guitars..). 

• buckfast;808653" said:
    I have heard many (mostly our friends from the USA) rave about Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois. Any opinions on these?
    I've played a lot of Collings and two Santa Cruz.

Both build guitars which are patterned after classic Martins (000/OMs and Dreadnoughts).

The Collings sounded very 'tight' (they were all brand new and would no doubt open up with playing). In their 'new' state, none bowled me over tonally. Their set-ups were definitely optimised for volume, rather than playability - in other words, very hard work for an electric player.

The SCs were easier to play and sounded 'looser'. The Dreadnought was probably the best I've ever played. Their OM was very good too - though the best guitar I've played of that type is a neighbour's sunburst 00028 (not strictly an OM but the same body size).

Given your stated requirements, I'd start with Taylor - not a brand which is universally loved among 'serious' acoustic players - but superb if you get on with their sound.

A perfect post and wisdom awarded ! These recommendations are a great place to start
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    If you are looking for an exceptional dread take a look at The White Rice from Alistair Atkin. A seriously great guitar.

http://atkinguitars.com/item/the-white-rice/
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 201
    edited December 2015
    Another vote for the Martin M36 a great all round guitar.Some say it's Martins best kept secret.
  • buckfastbuckfast Frets: 5
    edited December 2015
    Sorry, I didn't get back to update you. I've ended up with a new Collings OM2H and a second hand D2H!!! However, and quite embarrassingly, my wife has found out the price of these guitars and I must sell one to free up cash. I have decided to move one the OM2H, but would like to get a lesser value OM (with short scale, 1 11/16" nut) + a nice chunk of cash in exchange, if anybody is interested. Only problem is that i am in Ireland so guitars would need to be shipped. 
  • Apart from agreeing about Atkin guitars, i've got a Martin OMJM (11/16" nut) going on eBay atm - excellent condition

Details are on the Forum

eBay