Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My new guitar has been "stolen"/"lost"

What's Hot

Comments

• The police wouldn't advise not reporting it.

Ask him to go get a crime reference number. If he refuses, tell him you'll go get one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My CS 57 LP Jnr that I used to have, I got well cheap on Evilbay.

Messaged the buyer at the time to discuss, bloke was as up front as I'd have been.

"That's what you won it at mate, all yours."

If I don't set a reserve I accept what an item goes for.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Costs a load to set a reserve on a high-ish value item on eBay.
    Ends up not being worth it on top of the final value fee and (potentially) PayPal fees too.

Buy It Now all the way for me... only one that ensures I get exactly what I want if it sells (after factoring in the FVF, of course).
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 395
    Ive had the classic, my wife sold it to her mate this afternoon.... Then the same item appeared again under a different account an hour later in the same town, same photos. I couldnt be arsed to complain as i hadnt paid but annoying none the less.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770
    jd0272 said:

Messaged the buyer at the time to discuss, bloke was as up front as I'd have been.

Had this yesterday with me as a seller, the guitar didn't go for as much as I wanted, someone's got a bargain. At the end of the day that's the rules and they can have the guitar for that price. Sure I'd have preferred more money but that's the gamble with an auction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewligan;808295" said:
    Costs a load to set a reserve on a high-ish value item on eBay.Ends up not being worth it on top of the final value fee and (potentially) PayPal fees too.

Buy It Now all the way for me... only one that ensures I get exactly what I want if it sells (after factoring in the FVF, of course).
    I just set my start price to whatever my "reserve" is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    I've missed the story somewhere - what happened?

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    jd0272 said:

Likewise with my Carvin bitsa 'supercaster'. I actually gave him an extra £20 over the sale price as the ad said if it made £100 he'd throw in a Fender hardcase,

I've got a pair of shoes on evil-bay (via my mums account as I am weak) that the first owner spent £600 on, they are currently on a no reserve auction and if they sell for 99p then it'll be honoured. It just seems quite straight forward to me.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    edited October 2015
    Not a stolen guitar, but when I was a teenager I recall sitting on my bedroom window sill one Saturday afternoon and watching the people over the road setting off for a party/wedding/do/etc. Whoever was the front passenger placed a cake on the roof of the car while the car door was unlocked, after which they got in and the car drove off.

I had no chance of stopping them and sadly the road curved round fairly gently and out my sight before its ending at a T Junction, so I never got to see what happened when in all likelihood the cake left its place on the roof.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited February 2016
    robwright said:

Sorry, I win guitar, guitar gets mislaid/stolen the day after apparently and sale is cancelled. Actually, when I say win, I mean win at great price (for me). If anyone sees this go up for sale please let me know.
  • robwright said:
    The guitar went for a low price. The seller made up some story about the guitar being stolen to avoid having to complete the sale at a price he wasn't happy with.
    They either say that or that they've broken it.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    edited October 2015
    Get it! I think the idea of reporting the stolen guitar to the police is a great way to call this fuckers bluff!

Do it I say!

Been through that way and he REALLY doesn't want the police involved. I wonder why....

The refund was automatic though which is a good thing, I suppose.  
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Deijavoo said:
    Been through that way and he REALLY doesn't want the police involved. I wonder why....

The refund was automatic though which is a good thing, I suppose.  

and the devil in me would have pressed the issue just to get him to fess up......
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    We sent about 15 messages back and forth each on Wednesday. I did push and mention the police in each message and that I was willing to drive there to help sort it all out. He really didn't want to get involved.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As annoying as it is, your better off just chalking it up to experience and moving on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
    edited October 2015
    I'm sorry to hear that you have been messed about.
    As annoying as it may be there's nothing really you can do if you have got a refund.
    Ebay Won't do anything if you have got ur money back.
    At the end of the day it's not right if he is lieing but you haven't lost any money so there's not a lot you can do other than forget it n move on.
    Yeah it's done with now really. I'm looking at other options now to spend this birthday dosh.

I did a NGD a couple of Christmases ago on here where I bought the guitar and basically invoiced my family, worked well, just not this time. Gone right off the idea of this guitar now though, I'm taking it as some sort of omen. :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Presume negative feedback was left..?

That's one way you can give the lying bastard a little kick in the balls.

He can only leave positive for you, so no risk of "retaliatory feedback".
    And if he leaves negative comments on a positive feedback, you can have it removed and he gets another slap on the wrist for breaking eBay rules - double whammy!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's a point! Can I leave feedback if it's been cancelled?