Laminate floor problem,DIY'ers opinions needed on my possible fix.

What's Hot
Ive laid a laminate floor in our new extension, 44m2 to be exact, a fucker of a job but went down easy once I got going. Anyway my problem is this - In the old section of the house the concrete floor was a bit lumpy and bumpy so i got a couple of sack of self leveling compound and sorted it - Or so I thought :(

It has become apparent that there are a couple of low spots causing the laminate to dip probably up to about 4mm in the worst spot. This is causing flexing along the join which may eventually give out. That would be disastrous. Anyway I cant take it up now as I have just installed a kitchen. 

So getting to the point my idea is this - Drill a small holes through the floaty bits and inject silicon sealant into the holes which should spread out beneath the floor board and the srface of the damp proof membrane, thereby allowing the floor still to float as it wont be adhered to a solid base. After which the area will be left for 24hrs before allowing foot traffic. What do you lot think???
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• These people aren't very optimistic, I'm afraid.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    BAH!! bloody pessimists!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I think you should have used Emp Fab's approach (was it him?). Anyway whoever it was, you wouldn't have that problem now.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    What approach was that then?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The open the package and let the dog piss on it approach

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I thought it was the procrastinate approach
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Just put a cusion or a small table there, then it'll be fine.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I cant put a table in front of the bloody cooker! Honestly, you come on a guitar forum for DIY advice..sheesh.... 8-|
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I certainly wouldn't be looking for a DIY'ers advice on this :-)

Not quite my trade, but was working in a house this year ,where the flooring guys used a strong glue to fix it to the concrete, and it looked like they just used more in the parts where it was dipping...
    Set rock solid too, and they were always using new trowels, as they were a bastard to clean

May be difficult ,depending on the size of the boards and where the offending area is, but rather than have holes in your flooring, i'd try and cut out the area, and use the flooring glue to stick down new boards.
    May mean having to trim off the tongue of the board to allow new ones in, but the glue will hold it in place anyway.

Though again dependant on whether you can still get the flooring or not.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013

Nothing that doesn't involve taking some of the floor up is ideal. 

Regarding your silicone idea - Depending on the depth and diameter of the holes it is highly unlikely to work.  It's not to say the principle of the idea is flawed, it's just silicone isn't what you are after.  Silicone is fairly viscose and will not spread as you are probably imagining it may.  It's far more likely to form a plug in the centre of the hole and due to it's compression qualities and the space surrounding it will have virtually no (if any effect).  You may be able to achieve the effect you are after with a self-levelling epoxy.

If you have a circular saw, or even a chisel if you want to go guerrilla-style, your best solution is to remove the board over the worst holes so you can see what you are filling.  Removing it will obviously destroy the individual board and you will need a new one to go in it's place.  You just remove the bottom half of the groove to get it to fit in.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    There is no nice answer I think.

The easy option IF there is room under the door/units etc is to lay another laminate floor across the one you have already, preferably at right angles. The combined strength will all but remove the squishy feeling under foot.

The downside is that you have to remove and refit the skirting or have that plastic beading around the edge so the floor can expand/contract under it. Also if this floor mates with that in another room you will have an annoying step or have to do the next room too.

As far as i can see it's going to look bodged somewhere, you just have to decide. On a positive note, the laminate I've put down is quite strong and hard wearing, you might get several years use out of what you have now before the cracks appear.

• I had a similar dilemma and decided to just leave it albeit mine is in the living room with less traffic.. how bad is it? how long you looking at keeping the floor? laminate for me even the commercial grade stuff I have laid is never a permanent thing couple of years usually before I get bored and want a different style.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Hmm... it's wood.. we're (mostly) guitarists...

Only one answer - nitrocellulose laquer... keep applying a layer at a time until the floor is perfectly level... maybe add a burst finish? 
  • I'd wait 6 months, by which time you will have at least 5 other problems that are more on your radar than this and you won't think about it any more. If the lip does break, you can use that opportunity to apply some kind of fix.

I have never been happy with any DIY job I have ever done and they all annoy me as I walk past them / turn them on and off / walk over them. My house is so full of these things now that I basically don't want to go home. I may have to move. Now I just pay for people to do stuff - I am never happy with what they do either but at least it's not my fault. Money well spent, in my opinion.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    If a bit pops up, sand it down and do something to make it look less obvious.
    My V key is broken
  • Like maybe a rug or a coffee table.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I still think you should give it a cherry burst finish

Aah screw you guys
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    pour and inch of cement over it... then put laminate flooring on top
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    What do you lot think???
    I know what I think,  and you wont like it
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.