Laminate floor problem,DIY'ers opinions needed on my possible fix.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    I'd wait 6 months, by which time you will have at least 5 other problems that are more on your radar than this and you won't think about it any more,
    then sell the house.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Get it up Johnny. You have no other option.

When you re-level it this time, use a long spirit level (I use a 4 metre one) to check for dips. Don't put anything down until you know it's flat. And make sure you buy enough levelling compound this time!

Failing that, ignore it.
    ...one more thing. Did you put a damp proof membrane over the concrete/compound? If you didn't and decide to pull the floor up make sure you do this time around. Laminates and wood don't like bare concrete!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    Yes I put the damp proof membrane down. I genuinely cant take it up now. Im going to try the injection method will try to get some low viscosity stuff that dries fairly quickly. It isnt a massive dip. Will fix the hole with a repair kit. Got nothing to lose really. Ive got a full pack extra if I need to remove a single board
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm just waiting for the maestro of laminate flooring to come along and trump all you lot!

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I know what you did wrong!

You need a pug to pee on them then leave them for a few years to get used to the room before laying it... you just rushed in, and probably didn't even use real dog piss... school boy error my friend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right. I couldn't remove a single board with either of the two I've laid in my gaff, so you're lucky.

If you've made your mind up good luck with it, in theory it'll work. I understand you can't lift the floor, it'd probably give you a mental breakdown anyway after all your hard graft. I'd inject it slowly, a bit at a time, until there's no more flex in the joint (but you know that anyway). Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
  • Deadman said:
    I'd inject it slowly, a bit at a time, until there's no more flex in the joint (but you know that anyway). Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Apologies for contradicting but do not inject it a bit at a time or press on it.  A pouring epoxy in your best bet if you are going to try this method.  As the epoxy will flow (which is good for filling) however if you press on it it will tell you nothing about how full it is but will squeeze epoxy under the level floor worsening your problems.  Also if you fill it bit by bit without a steady flow there is every chance the epoxy will start to seal the hole leaving unable to do any more.

If you do end up removing the board, mark a line down the centre of the length.  Cut through the board to within about 3'' of either end.  Then from the end on that line cut diagonally towards the 4 corners as close as you can get with damaging the neighbouring boards.  There will then be enough movement to snap the board out.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Ok. Layman's terms. Squeeze a bit in. Leave to dry. Check for flex. Repeat if necessary.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24728
    The big mistake you made squire was laying the stuff.  Mine is perfectly flat and in tip-top condition (bar the pissy corner of a couple of planks) and nicely stacked under the kitchen table.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Just leave it. that kind of flooring molds itself to the shape of the floor . You'll end up ripping it up in a year or 2 anyway It never lasts. shit flooring innit ! I prefer vinyl to that stuff , I put laminate down from the front door all the way through to the kitchen , baby was sick over it and her vomit ate through the top layer ,now permanently stained . You would have been better off laying down tongue and groove foor boards .
    Flown the nest .