Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Films that are better than the books they are made from?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34008
    edited November 2013
    octatonic said:
    I'm a huge fan of BEE so maybe I am biased but American Psycho is as close to a perfect novel as I can think of.
    I thought it was very clever for the first few pages then it just keeps repeating the same scenes over and over again.
    It is quite postmodern- and a criticism of contemporary culture.
    IMHO the repetition of scenes is a way to describe how monotonous and dull contemporary culture can be.
    'Things change but it is just the same old shit' etc.

Clarky's new band uses a phrase from the book as their album title: "This is not an exit".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    American Psycho?

Easy - they're both a pile of shit.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    edited November 2013
    Lixarto said:
    American Psycho?

Easy - they're both a pile of shit.
    Massively disagree.
    You don't strike me as a fan of post-modernism though. ;)
  • octatonic said:
    Thanks belly, it came to mind reading the movies thread.

Interestingly Stephen King said he hated the film of The Shining- said it was 'cold', which he didn't write the book to be.

@octatonic

Yep, I have heard he didn't like it too much. I'll never know what I would have thought of it had I read the book first and in a way I'm glad I didn't, which may sound strange, but I think it is a piece of Cinematic Genius. It may be more down to the visual aspects of how Kubrick portrayed the Hotel, the Scenery etc.

It may just appeal to me on a visceral level or perhaps it's a mixture of many things.

There's something about Kubrick's films that fill me with awe. Especially 2001: A Space Odyssey

Back to The Shining, I doubt it will change my mind about the film if I read the book, so I'm going to have to put that on the list of stuff to do.

I suppose it just has to be done

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    I thought it was very clever for the first few pages then it just keeps repeating the same scenes over and over again.
    IMHO the repetition of scenes is a way to describe how monotonous and dull contemporary culture can be.

Clarky's new band uses a phrase from the book as their album title: "This is not an exit".
    That's one interpretation. 

The other is that he had enough material for a novella, but spun it out over more pages because it's hard to sell something that isn't novel length.
    edited November 2013
    octatonic said:

That's one interpretation. 

The other is that he had enough material for a novella, but spun it out over more pages because it's hard to sell something that isn't novel length.
    That is a bit cynical.
    Have you read Less Than Zero, Glamorama, Rules of Attraction, The Informers or any of his other novels?
    It isn't really a fair criticism.

You're entitled to make it of course. ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    That is a bit cynical.
    Have you read Less Than Zero, Glamorama, Rules of Attraction, The Informers or any of his other novels?
    Nope, only thing of his I've read as I didn't think much of American Psycho.
    It might be unfair, but it was my genuine thought whilst reading it. 
    What would you recommend as a better example?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    Logan's Run, for definite. They completely changed the plot and made it at least vaguely credible, which the book isn't.

I haven't actually read The Shining either - not really a Stephen King fan - but I had a look at the synopsis, and there's no way the book can be better than the film - the plot in the film is much better, even if it's stripped back - but the point is more about the imagery, I think. On the other hand I am a Kubrick fan so I may be biased.

I could easily believe the Godfather is better than the book. The book would have to be one of the all-time classics of literature to be better than the film.

I'd also agree that Blade Runner is better than Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

2001, not sure - they were written in parallel, although there are slight plot differences. I think on balance the film is better, but it's a close call.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

octatonic said:
    That is a bit cynical.
    Nope, only thing of his I've read as I didn't think much of American Psycho.
    It might be unfair, but it was my genuine thought whilst reading it. 
    What would you recommend as a better example?
    I'm not sure my recommendation would count for much because I'd suggest re-reading American Psycho. ;-)

The Informers is a collection of short stories- maybe start with that?
    Lunar Park is brilliant- quite autobiographical (B.E.E is a character) but different to the rest of his novels.
    Maybe the Rules of Attraction- it is different to American Psycho- more like Less than Zero (which is great too)- less psychotic, more structured narrative.

Take your pick, I love them all.
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Totally disagree.  In the book the falling food is far less literal.  It is a metaphor for hope and to a lesser extent peace.  When hope rains down on the community it breeds an apathy and lack of any ambition to work harder for a better world.  It eventually causes a breakdown in social structure which leads to the apes taking over.  The film massively bails out at the ending, where the book ends with Flint's Dad killing himself in an auto-erotic hanging and we I left to decide for ourselves whether it was intentional.  Also in the book Samantha Sparks is a complete dog, but is up for anything.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • The Life of Brian

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    ICBM said:
    Logan's Run, for definite. They completely changed the plot and made it at least vaguely credible, which the book isn't.
    Good call! I loved that film as a teen (jenny agutter!). I bought the book and it went very naff and confusing by the end. The film was much better.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Much as I like Phillip K Dick - the man is so much of a legend there's only once that one of his novels has been made into a film - all the other attempts are on short stories - where people (often wrongly suppose they) can't fuck it up.

Do Androids Dream is a different book to Blade Runner the film - both are good in different ways.
    We can remember it for you wholesale is a less of a roller coaster ride than Total Recall (the original).

Also The Harry Potter films - Around the time Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was written, she either fired her editor or he told her to start writing movie scripts. So all the subsequent films are better than her scripts.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Do androids dream of electric sheep, and Blade Runner are essentially two different stories, same with most of Phillip K. Dick's stories that have been translated into film. They tend to cut out a lot of the more cerebral parts to make a slicker film, except for 'A Scanner Darkly' which is almost exactly like the book. @frankus BTW A Scanner Darkly is an adapted novel.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Debbie Does Dallas
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Lord of the Rings

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I forgot Scanner, I've watched it a few times and I liked it... great cast.

Screamers... hmmm mmm they still tinkered with it too much
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I have only read about 5 books so a difficult one but Hannibal. IIRC the plot in the film made more sense than the book.

MrsTheweary has also said Blade Runner. I haven't read the book.

DaVinci Code is a difficult one as both book and film were pretty awful.

[ hmm, if I've only read 5 books and they included Hannibal and DaVinci this probably isn't saying much about me 8-} ]

And although not a film the tv series Dexter significantly upped the game from the original novel.

[ the other two books were really, really intellectual, honest :ar! ]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bertie said:
    Debbie Does Dallas

You obviously didn't have the pop-up version.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom