Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HRMC destroyed a guy's Custom Order Fender

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4154
edited November 2013 in Guitar

Comments

• Ouch

seems a bit fishy to me though somehow. Why no pictures?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Hmmm - I'd be keen to see pics too. I've imported *a lot* of guitars from the US over the past 10 years or so and whilst some of the duty charges have verged on anal rapage, I've never seen or heard of anything like that before. Plus they do have X-Ray machines... so why would they need to chop it up?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Ouch!

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    FUCK DA HACKNEY MARSH RAPE CREW!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Ouch

Have to agree. Customs guys are busy people and are more likely to scan/X-ray something they think is suspicious. It would have quickly proven the guitar was solid. There was also full export documentation from a well known US company.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • arseholes
    How very rock and roll
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    edited November 2013
    I've heard about other stuff like that too. There was even a TV documentary which showed them drilling holes in someone's property (I think it was a carved statuette or something - something solid, anyway) because they thought there were drugs concealed inside. They're either wilfully stupid or intentionally destructive, I can't decide which. And you have *no rights* over it.

I have personally seen an acoustic guitar which was imported that had a hole in the guitar which looked like it had been bashed into the corner of a table or something - a 'pyramid'-shaped hole - and there was no corresponding hole in the case. Unless for some unknown reason the seller decided to do that before packing it up, someone had the guitar out in transit and at best was very careless with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    can't see why you'd go through a shop for that kinda thing...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    I nearly had that with my Callaghan guitar at Joburg - they thought it was a firearm or bomb or something and took it off to be destroyed, all the time I was waiting in the baggage hall; eventually I said where is it, they said, it's been taken off to be destroyed in a controlled explosion; I pleaded with them, they brought it back, it had no baggage control sticker on it, and I had to prove it was mine (it has my name on the headstock ;) ) - I think they were just trying to nick it. Why wouldn't they x-ray it first?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • frankus said:
    You can put custom Fender orders through places like Coda.  I'd probably just use MJT or similar myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    congratulations to Octatonic for winning the pickups !
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:

Ouch

Have to agree. Customs guys are busy people and are more likely to scan/X-ray something they think is suspicious. It would have quickly proven the guitar was solid. There was also full export documentation from a well known US company.

+1.

Sorry, I don't believe it.

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    edited November 2013
    It lost credibility with me when he said "Fender offered to make another for me but i would be looking after Christmas now"

I ordered a one off from Fender CS in Feb and they haven't even started work on it yet :D
    frankus said:
    I think it's the only way to order from Fender CS mate, you can't contact them direct, you have to go through an authorised dealer
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    1nten5e said:
    It lost credibility with me when he said "Fender offered to make another for me but i would be looking after Christmas now"

I ordered a one off from Fender CS in Feb and they haven't even started work on it yet :D
    For all you know he had been waiting since last year, and due to the damage they offered to bump a new guitar up the queue - only right in my opinion. Why are people so quick to not believe this guy?? Have you never seen an episode of Airport?? Those customs people are fucking soulless robots!!
    Well I know for a fact that if that happened to me I would have got as many photo's as I could and tried for compensation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e said:
    Well I know for a fact that if that happened to me I would have got as many photo's as I could and tried for compensation

this

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587

Ouch

this,  franky I dont believe it
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:

Ouch

this,  franky I dont believe it
    Exactly - the first thing I'd have done is take high-res photos for evidence. In fact, that should also have been the shop's first action on receiving it.
    <space for hire>
  • As there's a fair bit of doubt, I read some of the guy's other posts, he talks about ordering it here...

Apparently, he only ordered it on 18th October!