Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

November means...Black Friday!

What's Hot

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    Can anyone comment about an actual deal they got last year? I've not seen much to suggest that black friday is all that.
    I got an Xbox One and Alien Isolation with 12 months free Xbox live for £229. That was on an Amazon Lightning deal though and sold out in 10 seconds. They still aren't that cheap one year on! 

I would never dare go in to a shopping centre on Black Friday though, nor would I be sucked in by the shitty products they normally have for sale but Amazon is another matter entirely, especially with Prime next day delivery! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    But you have to be careful with what Amazon state the discount to be as in the week or two before a lot of their prices seem to mysteriously creep up ready to be discounted. That's not to say that there aren't some great deals on there, just that they pad the, out with deals which aren't really deals.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    BigMonka said:
    But you have to be careful with what Amazon state the discount to be as in the week or two before a lot of their prices seem to mysteriously creep up ready to be discounted. That's not to say that there aren't some great deals on there, just that they pad the, out with deals which aren't really deals.
    www.camelcamelcamel.com

They can't hide.  A graph showing historical pricing data.  I do it for every purchase, not just for Black Friday.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Just makes things you don't need seem irresistible and driving you deeper into debt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Most sales now are just a nonsense in my opinion. Very few bargains to be had.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    Most sales now are just a nonsense in my opinion. Very few bargains to be had.

I called Peach about an amp a week before last years Black Friday deals and they offered me £50 off a £1250 amp...during Black Friday the amp was £1000, so there are some genuine discounts.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    I particularly like camelcamelcamel allowing you to set a target price, and then emailing when it hits that price.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Adamski said:
    Can anyone comment about an actual deal they got last year? I've not seen much to suggest that black friday is all that.
    I got an Xbox One and Alien Isolation with 12 months free Xbox live for £229. That was on an Amazon Lightning deal though and sold out in 10 seconds. They still aren't that cheap one year on! 

I would never dare go in to a shopping centre on Black Friday though, nor would I be sucked in by the shitty products they normally have for sale but Amazon is another matter entirely, especially with Prime next day delivery! 
    I bought 2 decent 60 inch LG plasmas (HD freeview - not the crap in the scrums) for £600 each, mind you, one was 2 weeks later, so there should have been no rush really
    TTony said:
    I particularly like camelcamelcamel allowing you to set a target price, and then emailing when it hits that price.
    This is particularly useful for items that you want but don't need or something that you always will need but don't have a sell by date so when its cheap you buy in bulk.

For example, my Braun electric razor's replacement blade is £20 but every now and again the price plummets for a few hours.  It fell to £5 once and I got a few. 

I also picked up a Wii U for £170, about £60 less than RRP.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    capo4th said:
    I find the entire concept a little racist to be honest.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I'll probably be dropping down to Wembley Drum Centre and see if I can get a deal on a DW snare.
    Otherwise nowt.
  • Black Friday means a week or so of complete and utter chaos for anyone in the courier/delivery business. A massive flood of deliveries that will no doubt crush the system again.
    Can't say as I'm looking forward to it much
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    BigMonka said:
    www.camelcamelcamel.com

excellent, thanks for that
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Another retail experience invented by the Americans to part folks from cash.

It's bollocks.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    capo4th said:
    I find the entire concept a little racist to be honest.
    Amazing :D
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    impmann said:
    Another retail experience invented by the Americans to part folks from cash.

It's bollocks.
    Wise words.

Unfortunately every stupid American idea ends up here eventually.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    When Amazon first started doing it there were some really good bargains on things like Blu-ray and DVD box sets.  But there was nothing at all last year, it felt like they were either trying to shift old stock or convince us that something was a "mega deal" at pretty much its normal price.

I don't even remember the guitar shops doing Black Friday deals last year so there can't have been much of interest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Black Friday means a week or so of complete and utter chaos for anyone in the courier/delivery business. A massive flood of deliveries that will no doubt crush the system again.
    Can't say as I'm looking forward to it much
    The retailers I work with hate it as well, but it's catch 22 for them as they have to be seen to take part and not get left behind by their competitors. 

There's money being spent in the distribution centers just to get through this single event and the massive peak it gives, it's like no other sale period in the year and a right headache for the whole supply chain.
    It's a major excuse for them to get rid of stock but there are gems to be had if you only get what you want. Say you want a new hard drive, there's always a couple SSD on sale, and they are normally 20% less than normal and elsewhere. The 90% off stuff don't really happen.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    photo 630B1D66-A1C0-4162-A850-9149F72B5B02.jpg
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom