Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MJW Amps Update --- Feline Guitars Orders #200 (and #199, #201)!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11729
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Liking the optical illusion that the Purple amp is so much smaller than the others

Ah.

You mean you didn't want the 'Tapered Cab Tower' option? :(

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    Liking the optical illusion that the Purple amp is so much smaller than the others

Ah.

You mean you didn't want the 'Tapered Cab Tower' option? :(

It seems kind of appropriate since todays date (9/11) will be burnt into my memory as the day of the tapered Tower

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• @FelineGuitars

Have you tried different power valves in the amp which has a bias switch?  I think I might get one for my GS. 
    tFB Trader
    @FelineGuitars

Have you tried different power valves in the amp which has a bias switch?  I think I might get one for my GS. 
    Said amp is still at MJW's workshop , so the answer is no with this amp, but on a previous one I have tried an EL34, a 6L6, a 5881 and a 6CA7.
    Small differences , however I had a NOS Mullard EL34 for that amp which is killer and suits my ears 100% so that stayed

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @FelineGuitars

Said amp is still at MJW's workshop , so the answer is no with this amp, but on a previous one I have tried an EL34, a 6L6, a 5881 and a 6CA7.
    Small differences , however I had a NOS Mullard EL34 for that amp which is killer and suits my ears 100% so that stayed
    Cheers for the info, it's very useful.  Yep, can't go wrong with a NOS Mullard EL34.  
    tFB Trader
    Also even though these amps are only 10w they get to be quite loud at home (which is where I use them) if you turn it up too much . Then the character of the power tube would show more , but also the nature of a single ended class A design too ...which will sound different to a push/pull design

Some people get surprised that these fairly substantial well featured amps are only 10w - well maybe not so much now that lunchbox style amps are more commonplace, but still to a degree.
    I don't know why it's taken so darn long for amp makers to make well featured amps in lower power ratings , but I'm glad that they finally have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    A big thank-you to Martin for bringing the tower of amps down to my place today 
    Great to have a catch up with a like minded guitar and amp fan
    A wee bit of tweak-age on the Fender style amp and the stereo power amp has done the trick and am loving them 
    The blonde Fender style amp is a great pedal platform and covers a great range from pur blackface chime to smooth Bassman/Bluesbreaker roar.

The purple beast is something else though!
    Even though it looks a little complex it's easy to dial in 

It's like a JTM era Marshall meets a JMP one (hence the rock/blues switch) but with a switchable tube boost in there that hot-rods either channel to be hotter than a JCM 800 series.
    The big appeal is that there are two gain controls that can be blended to get the right dark/bright mix to match whichever guitar you put in, which is something that you don't often get in a higher gain amp.

Add a subtle digital reverb and a great FX loop...
    The power section is only 10 Watts with a single ended design that can run either a EL34 or a 6L6

I love the JTM channel with pedals too - my ThorpyFX , Friedman and Mad Professor pedals will all be getting a workout for some time.

Edited to correct  JTM to JMPSaveSave

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Great to have a catch up with a like minded guitar and amp fan...

Thanks Jonathan, great to see you again too and see some of your work in progress, and hear some of your new toys! :)

FelineGuitars said:

It's like a JTM era Marshall meets a JTM one (hence the rock/blues switch)...

I think that should be JTM meets JMP :)

tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    Great to have a catch up with a like minded guitar and amp fan...

Thanks Jonathan, great to see you again too and see some of your work in progress, and hear some of your new toys! :)

FelineGuitars said:

It's like a JTM era Marshall meets a JTM one (hence the rock/blues switch)...

I think that should be JTM meets JMP :)

Ah yes - I'll correct that

tFB Trader
    So the last of the 3 is a great little mp with a Marshall flavour
    Here is a shot of her...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Looking gorgeous! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    None more purple!