Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Marc Bolan's Les Paul resurfaces on MLP forum

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    /\ so you lay on a Birthday parties for your guitars??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Doesn't everyone?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV;856255" said:
    Nah, still haven't got anything the right size for that.... But I could fake a Norlin pancake with the stock I have.

Unfortunately the thick stuff I have is only 4" wide
    If you ever do matey.. ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 216
    The original thread on the other forum reads like smoke & mirrors to me ! Given the names connected to it ,someone knows exactly what it is (or isn`t) !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited November 2015

Slightly off topic. But my mate's sister was married to, or in a relationship with Bill Legend (T-Rex Drummer) at the height of their success in the 70s. We'd  use him [Bill] to get all sorts of tat signed by Marc Bolan and then sell it to the girls at school.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    matone said:

The original thread on the other forum reads like smoke & mirrors to me ! Given the names connected to it ,someone knows exactly what it is (or isn`t) !
    Exactly - and if it really was Bolan's guitar they would be coming to an agreement with Bolan's estate in private and not hawking it around an Internet forum with hints (then partially withdrawn) about what it is in order to try to con someone into thinking they've unearthed the Holy Grail.

The wood grain is not remotely close enough anyway - take the AC/DC L6-S that was discovered recently... even in one low-res pic of the original the wood obviously matches exactly. With this one, you have to struggle to convince yourself it's not too different or impossible for it to be the same, in *any* photo of the original.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Something interesting... I was just watching one of those slightly contrived BBC music documentaries on iplayer, about 'Girls in Bands', and there was a girl band in the very late 60s-early 70s called Fanny - I'm really not making this up :) - whose guitarist played a faded sunburst Les Paul Standard. Given this was before the Standard was reintroduced and it was already quite beaten-up with Bigsby scars etc, it can only have been a '58-'59.

She was interviewed in the present day and still has it - now even more battered and with the binding missing on the treble side of the neck and what looks like more trem damage... I assume she knows what she's got!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    ICBM said:
    Something interesting... I was just watching one of those slightly contrived BBC music documentaries on iplayer, about 'Girls in Bands', and there was a girl band in the very late 60s-early 70s called Fanny - I'm really not making this up :) - whose guitarist played a faded sunburst Les Paul Standard. Given this was before the Standard was reintroduced and it was already quite beaten-up with Bigsby scars etc, it can only have been a '58-'59.

She was interviewed in the present day and still has it - now even more battered and with the binding missing on the treble side of the neck and what looks like more trem damage... I assume she knows what she's got!

Is that the title too? I'll look that up at work morra as IT system will be down thus minimal graft will be done.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Found it.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    A bit of research this morning seems to indicate it's a '56, so the sunburst and the humbuckers will be a conversion. Assuming Wikipedia is right of course.

• Fanny are great in that doc, I'd seen that OGWT clip before but didn't know anything else about them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM;857602" said:
    [quote=matone]
    Exactly - and if it really was Bolan's guitar they would be coming to an agreement with Bolan's estate in private and not hawking it around an Internet forum with hints (then partially withdrawn) about what it is in order to try to con someone into thinking they've unearthed the Holy Grail.

The wood grain is not remotely close enough anyway - take the AC/DC L6-S that was discovered recently... even in one low-res pic of the original the wood obviously matches exactly. With this one, you have to struggle to convince yourself it's not too different or impossible for it to be the same, in *any* photo of the original.[/quote]

Absolutely. Ive just been looking closely at the gif that overlays the two. If you look really closely you can see that the grains just don't look the same. What it looks like is a top that's been made to look like another. Some of the bigger marks are in similar locations but the grain isn't. If you look at the crack by the volume pot it goes in 2 slightly different directions in the 2 pictures. How anyone can claim beyond all doubt from those pictures that it is the same guitar is beyond me!