Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    AK99 said:
    Haych said:

I’m not for or against wankle engines, in principle they are a marvellous idea, they’ve never really caught on though.  
    I don't know exactly why Haych - but that somehow contrives to sound even slightly worse than Wankel engines..

(Just dawned on me btw why 'Rotary engine' is the preferred term from manufacturers these days)

Ah you and your grammatically correct terminology!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1652
    You can say that again..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2990
    tFB Trader
    Love this weather, had some ace trips out lately.
    Also -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1402
    The sun was out yesterday so I had a lovely pootle over to Caffeine and the Machine for a coffee. It’s a country boozer that has reinvented itself as a destination for petrolheads. https://caffeineandmachine.com/

Well worth a pit stop if you are in the area
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    I fell off yesterday !
    Really weird......pulled up on the drive after long ride home .....took my foot off the peg to put it down and instantly got a spasm of intense pain from huge cramp in the back of my Thigh muscle ......contorted muscle with a lump the size of a small melon.
    Pain was instantly intense.....my leg turned to jelly,could hold up the bike and over I went at 0 miles per hour !
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31936
    Dominic said:
    I fell off yesterday !
    Really weird......pulled up on the drive after long ride home .....took my foot off the peg to put it down and instantly got a spasm of intense pain from huge cramp in the back of my Thigh muscle ......contorted muscle with a lump the size of a small melon.
    Pain was instantly intense.....my leg turned to jelly,could hold up the bike and over I went at 0 miles per hour !
    Ouch! Never mind your leg, how many people were watching? ;)

We've all done similar things though, in fact a mate of mine stopped at traffic light 50 miles into a ride without realising he'd slid the leg of his waterproofs over his kickstart when he'd set off an hour earlier - he toppled over and rammed his elbow into his ribs, breaking three of them.
    It wasn't even slightly funny at all, oh no. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2665
    edited June 2023
    Dominic said:
    I fell off yesterday !
    Thankfully it was at 0 mph, I’ve done it myself a few times. I’m 5’9” but only have a 29” inseam and with heavy bikes it’s a proper hindrance sometimes.
    edited June 2023
    I’ve done similar, stopped on a hill and realised too late that the floor is much further away than it normally is. 

The point of no return is a strange feeling. One part of your brain has accepted that in the next second you’ll be on the floor, the other part of your brain is still thinking, “ it’s ok, I’ve got this”.

^ I did that on a Cagiva Elefant years ago.........stupid high Desert Sled thing a friend owned ( and did genuinely take through the Sahara )
    I'm 6'1 with long legs but I stopped at a junction ,put my foot down without really concentrating and the ground just wasn't there. I was too far back on the seat .
    Over I went .
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19372
    edited June 2023
    Me too...
    Years ago rode my trusty CX500 down to Sheffield where my girlfriend was studying.
    Found the place (pre sat nav days) stopped outside, kicked down the side stand & leant the bike over, only to find the road had a very steep camber & was about 6 inches below where it 'should' have been & sloping away.
    Heavy things to lift, those Hondas...
    ^  To be fair now, dropping it was probably one of the very few options available to improve the aesthetics on the damn things :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    AK99 said:
    Haych said:

I’m not for or against wankle engines, in principle they are a marvellous idea, they’ve never really caught on though.  
    I don't know exactly why Haych - but that somehow contrives to sound even slightly worse than Wankel engines..

(Just dawned on me btw why 'Rotary engine' is the preferred term from manufacturers these days)

Ah you and your grammatically correct terminology!
    Ahem, onomatologically correct terminology in this case .. young man :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ended up at probably the most well know farm shop in the country this afternoon.

Was hoping do render a 3D map of the ride home but Rever has spat its dummy!  Oh well.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:
    ^  To be fair now, dropping it was probably one of the very few options available to improve the aesthetics on the damn things :)
    Cheeky young puppy :)  It might not have been a beauty queen, but was an affordable, comfortable, totally solid reliable bike which was exactly what I needed at the time.
    Not unlike this one. Mine was stolen  :'(
    Now favourites for customising in Shoreditch apparently :lol: 
    Honda CX500 Barn Find 1982 Dry Stored since 1997 30000 miles 2
    They were horrid ....although that looks better than I remember them
    they were called the Plastic Maggot......courier favourite and v reliable
    Silver Wing was the worst Incarnation

edited June 2023
    Dominic said:
    They were horrid ....although that looks better than I remember them
    they were called the Plastic Maggot......courier favourite and v reliable
    Silver Wing was the worst Incarnation

The 'Plastic Maggot' was hilarious as there was no more plastic than on any other bike apart from the instrument nacelle/binnacle.
    As for looks, who ever bought a C50 or C90 for looks? Reliability was key, these weren't objects of desire to impress mates & women, they were what bikes were for, going from A to B & having a laugh on the way.
    I agree about the Silver Wing thing though. US cruiser styled mini GoldWing bloatware made bike 
    I actually think a C90 looks very cool these days........they make new retro versions as a 125
    I used to tease anybody who had a 'step-through' when I was ultra laddish at 16 on my FS1E
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Honda CX500 Barn Find 1982 Dry Stored since 1997 30000 miles 2
    My eyes..jzzzzz my eyes man - you shoulda posted a warning..

(:)) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    Ended up at probably the most well know farm shop in the country this afternoon.

Was hoping do render a 3D map of the ride home but Rever has spat its dummy!  Oh well.

Bike looks well Haych.

I didn't realise they had the telelever(?) thingummybob up front.Never got to ride anything that hadn't got the trad front forks setup yet.

Probably not a straightforward question to answer - but d'ye think they're much different than the std forks setup ?
    AK99 said:
    Haych said:

Bike looks well Haych.

I didn't realise they had the telelever(?) thingummybob up front.Never got to ride anything that hadn't got the trad front forks setup yet.

Probably not a straightforward question to answer - but d'ye think they're much different than the std forks setup ?
    Thanks man. 

Well, that’s the £1m question you’ve posed. I’m probably not in the best position to answer since the only other bike apart from this that I have any experience with is a Suzuki SV650. 

That said, I like it, even with a fairly tired front shock (new shocks have been ordered) and I think if I’d been on any other bike I would have crashed a lot more that I have. 

The main advantage, as far as I see it, is that you can panic grab a fistful of front brake in an emergency and the bike does the rest. The front doesn’t dive like it would with a lot of traditional forks and it’s very well behaved under hard braking. 

Purists don’t like the telelever setup because they say the front feels vague, but I’m hardly the kind of rider that’s likely to push it to the limit so it makes no odds to me. I’ve seen a good number of GS riders who can get a knee down in a corner so it can’t be all that bad. 

On the later models BMW ditched the telelever in favour of electronically controlled forks, so you get all the benefits of the telelever by electronic wizardry. 

I still think they use it on the GS and I’m not sure about the RT, they might or might not - it’s not a bike that’s ever interested me so never bothered to look very hard. 

The other downside is that with the stock shock there’s absolutely no adjustability at all up front. Most aftermarket shocks have some kind of adjustment depending on how much you’re willing to spend. 

On that topic, why in the halibut are motorcycle shocks SO expensive?  I mean, for a decent Nitron rear shock intended for road use it’s about £1000!!!

Even Hyperpro, which as I understand it are on the cheaper end, are a good £1200 for a pair of front and rear shocks!  If you want all the adjustability up front as well as at the rear add a few hundred extra quid to that easily. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom