Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19357
    Talking of boots...
    Cowboy's bought in Paris, Les Halles market, 1981, concho's my own addition.

Engineer's bought in New York 1990 (daily go-to for bike riding for years).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1645
    Dominic said:
    Just work on the Dirty Sanchez for now
    Had to google that. Depending on which definition you go with - and who's playing - that could be a lot worse than the Anchos :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Talking of boots...

Those look like exactly the sort of thing you'd want if you ever needed to deliver a truly righteous stomping. Proper gear :)

(And if that's a recent photo, zero visible wear on them 33 years down the line later into the bargain!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:
    Talking of boots...

Those look like exactly the sort of thing you'd want if you ever needed to deliver a truly righteous stomping. Proper gear :)

(And if that's a recent photo, zero visible wear on them 33 years down the line later into the bargain!)
    I'm not a stomper (romper or otherwise...) & the photo was taken today  ;)
    The soles are now worn so thin that I could braille read footrest rubbers while wearing the boots.
    Re-soles are not possible as apparently they would tear the uppers away.
    Carolina brand non steel toes too, for those that observe such things.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    great quality obviously
    You can re-sole them......they've told you a load of old cobblers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2023
    ^ I wish that were true, but if you check out the pic, there are tears/splits that run from the leather uppers downward.
    There is a lack of sound material to attach to & the flexing is problematic as the sole would rip the uppers.
    Anyway, it's all academic as I have some other 'Walker' brand USA Engineers (company now long defunct) if I need them.
    Sadly (actually, I mean really fucking annoyingly) rampant arthritis has curtailed my riding days...
    Fair play to all of you that still do 1 

PS  Once upon a time (roughly up to the millennium) 'Crafted with pride in America' meant something about high quality, not just a marketing 
    phrase.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    Surely you can just get a glue-on sole pad thingy.....doesn't have to be stitched .....wont be as proper but still works
    Yeah, but the new sole is less flexible, so the leather upper takes the strain... & can't.
  • ALRALR Frets: 134
    I've just been for a pleasant ride around the Peak District. I went to Cromford (just outside of Matlock) to get a photo at the station, which is where the cover for Oasis' Some Might Say single was taken. Then an ice cream at Tagg Lane dairy before over the Langley to see if the Hanging Gate pub is still open. It is!

Does anyone else get around this area?
    mhep mhep mhep!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5780
    ALR said:
    I've just been for a pleasant ride around the Peak District. I went to Cromford (just outside of Matlock) to get a photo at the station, which is where the cover for Oasis' Some Might Say single was taken. Then an ice cream at Tagg Lane dairy before over the Langley to see if the Hanging Gate pub is still open. It is!

Does anyone else get around this area?
    I have relatives that live not so far from the Peak District.  I last went there last August on the bike for a few days, had a blast.  Winnats Pass was mind-blowing, had to do that one a few times while I was there.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

An interesting watch (or possibly not depending on your opinions of Guy Martin &/or rotaries).

Skip to 12:50 for the post ride comments & sweary bits  ;)

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    An interesting watch (or possibly not depending on your opinions of Guy Martin &/or rotaries).

Skip to 12:50 for the post ride comments & sweary bits  ;)

Loved that. Fantastic engineering.

Bike wise, I still have my Triumph Sprint 1050 and it's giving me loads of smiles. Engine is a peach but electrical issues can be a problem with these bikes.So, I've fitted upgraded starter cables, a new battery (with a 230 CCA), Mosfet rectifier and a new stator. All hard wired together, eliminating the connectors than can melt and the rectifier is hard wired to the battery too. It's never let me down so far. I can't afford a newer bike so have to make the best of this one. It doesn't disappoint though.

Was going to the TT but changed plans so trips this year are Scotland, Ireland and the French Alps in September.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds wonderful (the bike, not Gazzer). Anyi dea what's going on with the air bypass thing into the exhaust ??

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    AK99 said:
    Sounds wonderful (the bike, not Gazzer). Anyi dea what's going on with the air bypass thing into the exhaust ??

Turbos work in a similar way don't they? Might explain the massive power. Happy to be corrected though.
    Cooling according to Crighton's site.
    https://www.crightonmotorcycles.com/the-machine
    I nearly had a trouser acceleration event after seeing that gear cluster...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2023
    Ah interesting stuff.

Looking at the cross sections with the rotor opened up, looks like it flows air through the inside of the rotor to cool the tip - you can see what looks like cooling fins on the inside below each tip. Not unlike the way some 4-stokes have jets of oil directed onto the underside of the pistons to cool them. That's clever.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5780
    It doesn’t sound particularly exciting to me, sounds more like the nitro engined model aircraft my dad used to make and fly. 

An interesting machine all the same though. 

Maybe this will be of interest to rotary enthusiasts:

https://youtu.be/-3HBAvkc4a0

Again, purely for interest, I’m not for or against wankle engines, in principle they are a marvellous idea, they’ve never really caught on though.  

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• JEMJEM Frets: 141
    Brian Crichton is an incredibly talented engineer and I have very fond memories of watching Spray and Nation racing the Norton rotaries at Mallory Park, not to mention Haslam on one at the Donington GP.

Having said that, while his dedication to the rotary is admirable I do think he's been going down a dead end for years. The advantages will never outweigh the downsides. Ultimately they're too delicate and inefficient to ever reach the mainstream. Even Mazda have finally given up on them.

And lets face it, internal combustion engines of all kinds are now on borrowed time.
    edited June 2023
    Haych said:

I’m not for or against wankle engines, in principle they are a marvellous idea, they’ve never really caught on though.  
    I don't know exactly why Haych - but that somehow contrives to sound even slightly worse than Wankel engines..

(Just dawned on me btw why 'Rotary engine' is the preferred term from manufacturers these days)

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Dominic said:

I look at these Gas-Gas modern trials bikes and they're so different......don't even bother with a seat and smaller than a decent electric pushbike.

The latest trials bikes are amazing, and what some of the riders can do with them is mind blowing! 
    Trials has changed a fair bit over the years as bike and rider have improved.