Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• manicguitaristmanicguitarist Frets: 435
    Haych said:
    Out of interest, if it just bolts to the calliper, what's to stop a thief unscrewing the clamp and removing it?

I'm assuming there is a way, it's just not obvious from the pictures.
    I thought that too, so I cheated (got smart?) & looked it up this time  ;)  It stays locked even with the clamp bolts removed...
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/roadlok-review-motorcycle-disc-lock
    Just posting to say it's awesome to see my colleague's work being linked here. I work in the IT team for Bennetts but I know John pretty well as it's only a little company. He loves testing security kit.
    One of my bikes is insured with Bennetts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1165
    Haych said:
    Out of interest, if it just bolts to the calliper, what's to stop a thief unscrewing the clamp and removing it?

I thought that too, so I cheated (got smart?) & looked it up this time  ;)  It stays locked even with the clamp bolts removed...
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/roadlok-review-motorcycle-disc-lock
    Just posting to say it's awesome to see my colleague's work being linked here. I work in the IT team for Bennetts but I know John pretty well as it's only a little company. He loves testing security kit.
    One of my bikes is insured with Bennetts.
    Nice. Mine isn't! Probably will be next time around.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    Haych said:

Anyone that that publishes unvarnished opinions about such things is OK in my book, Say hi to John & tell him to keep it up :+1:   :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 22
    That's genuinely one of the best reviews that I've read. Street ahead of the usual bike-mag platitudes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 17
    Fitted it last night. Went trivially easy.

Step one, get the workshop stand out

Fit the stand

Up she goes. Did this so I could (easily) see through the lock and ensure that the holes in the disk line up perfectly with the lock - adding spacers if need be.

Remove original caliper bolts

Put some copper slip on the new bolt

Torque up to spec  and mark up with paint marker

Unlocked with cover in place

And the locking thing even fits in the tail of the Ducati.
    Happy daze.

Really easy to use - just put the locking part in place and lock it - then rotate the wheel a few degrees and it clicks into place.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1774
    This looks interesting - not seen one before. Can I ask if there's any visual element to this to deter a thief?

If not I'd worry about a casual opportunist thinking "ooh unlocked bike" trying to move it then dropping it leaving a sad looking Ducati lying on the floor with some broken panels.

Referring to the a previous post I passed my test on a Suzuki Van Van - bloomin wicked little bike loved riding it. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1697
    edited July 17
    I like the thinking behind the new-fangled disk lock..but as a purist, I'd be loath to add the extra unsprung weight, and risk upsetting the precision-tuned balance and handling of my Harley..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2750

Took the Panzer out today for a good walloping. Is summer finally here to stay? I hope so.

Off to Europe at the weekend, keeping my plans loose but generally heading for the Alps.
    gubble said:
    This looks interesting - not seen one before. Can I ask if there's any visual element to this to deter a thief?

If not I'd worry about a casual opportunist thinking "ooh unlocked bike" trying to move it then dropping it leaving a sad looking Ducati lying on the floor with some broken panels.

Referring to the a previous post I passed my test on a Suzuki Van Van - bloomin wicked little bike loved riding it. 
    It does come with a big yellow tag to fasten to the locking part- making it very obvious that it is there.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    ^ As I'm sure everyone is aware, there are loads of cheap effective hi-viz lock reminders out there.
    Like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Security-Reminder-Scooter-Motorbike/dp/B09GZBT883
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16339
    Looks extremely effective at preventing casual theft
    Unfortunately a lot of theft is one of 2 ways ;
    Lifting a bike up into a refrigerated van ( alarm is hard to hear due to insulation ) or .....being swarmed by 3 or 4 chavs on scooters who sneak up,push you over at a junction/traffic light and ride off on the bike
    Another method that used to be used in London is this:

Two blokes in a van pull up next to the desired bike which is locked up. Blokes jump out, one in overalls and the other in leathers, carrying a helmet. Guy in overalls gets to work disabling security (alarm/chains) while guy in leathers stands watching but also being a lookout. Bike is pushed into the van with bloke in leathers smiling and nodding throughout. 

Looks a breakdown/recovery which nobody thinks is odd.  Haven’t heard of it happening for a long time.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5880
    The other thing that is now happening is if thieves can't steal the bike in whole, they are harvesting parts.  Some of the newer BMWs in particular are targeted for the TFT dash displays.

Bits aren't difficult to remove from a bike using just a basic tool kit and assuming the scrotes have a getaway vehicle close by they can remove and carry a lot of parts.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited July 19
    Some scrotes showing the usual MO in Dublin these days:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8mb1tr

What the video doesn't show is the way they move the bike, which is usually one sitting on it with his foot hooked under a rear footrest of the scooter, towing the bike a few streets away into a rougher area where they store it in a lockup until the alarm stops, then leave it for a couple of days to make sure there's no tracker on it.

AFAIK the standard payment here for delivering a bike for breaking to the pro-gangs for breaking or despatch overseas like that is c.100 euros a time.
    cruxiform said:

Took the Panzer out today for a good walloping. Is summer finally here to stay? I hope so.

Off to Europe at the weekend, keeping my plans loose but generally heading for the Alps.
    That sounds like the best kind of bike holiday :)

I'd say your Panzer would be pretty well suited for that kind of break - a mix long stretches and mountain passes. As the say here - keep her between the hedges!
    Headed out on the little bike (RVF400) with my laptop to a biker's cafe about 80miles away. Currently working there and consuming bacon.
    Happy daze!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Managed to get the VanVan home. 2 1/2 hours riding from one side of the country here to the other - soaked to the bollocks in p1ssing rain after the first 10 miles - but got here iii the end,

Managed to get an hour or two going over it and undoing most of the abuse inflicted on it by my brother's son riding it round the fields. 

Changed the fluids, adjusted the clutch lever and back brake position and free-play, and took the rear indicators off in preparation for the preliminary wheelie-trial shakedown. 

The only way to get it to somewhere even close to lifting the front is to rev it somewhere close to valve-bounce - and then drop the clutch. Then everything happens slightly too quickly :(

May be time for a rethink..
    edited July 23
    Bit the bullet this evening and made a real effort to sort out bike #3’s brakes. 

Think I found the issue. 

Calliper removed and split. 
    All cleaned out. New seals arriving tomorrow. 
    edited July 26
    On my 5th day of my bike week away. Contrary to my original plan of going to the Alps I have stayed in the Eifel area of Germany. It’s an area I adore and when I got here on Monday I just wanted to stay. So the mountains can wait. Weather has been a bit hit and miss but when the sun has shone it has been glorious.

A few pics:

Raining today so will start heading back towards Calais. Nice little break overall!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    cruxiform said:
    On my 5th day of my bike week away. Contrary to my original plan of going to the Alps I have stayed in the Eifel area of Germany. It’s an area I adore and when I got here on Monday I just wanted to stay. So the mountains can wait. Weather has been a bit hit and miss but when the sun has shone it has been glorious.

A few pics:

Raining today so will start heading back towards Calais. Nice little break overall!
    Oh man, that looks glorious!