Yet another one I've taken on Ibanez vintage les Paul bass

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
edited November 2015 in Making & Modding
I know nothing about bass guitars but thought I'd have a stab at this. Bit disappointing so far, looks like it's been stored in a shed or attic and rust has taken its toll on just about every screw in the body. It's a copy of a Gibson triumph. No idea if electrics are OK but neck is sound. Such a shame as the varnish on the body and neck is cracking, it may be beyond saving. I'll have a go though.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2501ok2.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/6iv8xv.jpg
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3094
    edited November 2015
    Lucky bugger! I like that, it has potential.....if it proves to be beyond help, or if you decide to replace it, could I blag the bridge please?...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited November 2015
    I don't even play bass lol, when offered it I was hoping it would be easier work and would get me a classic vibe Tele in exchange. It may need all the electrics replacing before then and refinishing. Probably a big job but I have nothing else to do. Now have all the screws out and the pickups are working wired directly to cable so that's a start. The bridge is some fancy affair with a movable pad I guess is for muting or something but it's very rusty.
    edited November 2015
    If you chiose to replace the bridge with a modern one I'd like the old one for a project please...

Out of interest whats the scale length?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Using the neck it's roughly 30.4" I wouldn't change the bridge sorry, even if I did I'd always keep the original.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    if you can get all the screws out, and the pickups still work - that will be a really nice project.  what's the fretwork like
    edited November 2015
    All screws are out now @Wezv, only snapped 2 which were the rear control cavity cover, luckily one left a stub which mini mole grips got. The neck has a slight back bow but working truss rod. The frets are great just need a Polish. Pickups definitely work just trying to source some decent saddles as the grub screws are rusted solid and the Allen hole has gone. Might need to get a bridge plate made up as that's a rusty mess too bit it looks reasonably simple for a friend of mine who is a fabricator.

http://i67.tinypic.com/b4b8z9.jpg
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Register me interested should you bail on the restoration, even afterwards I'd be interested.
    Good luck with this one matey.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    For the rusted grub screws try heating with a soldering iron first, failing that soak overnight in a penetrative oil then try again, sometimes a combination of the two is the only way.
    edited November 2015
    I may have to send this one out at some point @sarge I can sort out the electrics and replace a few bits but I think the finish may need an expert. The lacquer is coming off in sheets 1cm wide in places and it's going to need to be colour matched. I don't want to change it from stock as they seem to attract pretty high prices in working condition. I need to source 3 full size vintage style 250k pots now. Looking at the Internet this sliding bridge with muting is not original to the guitar either, it's guts are attached to the body by something but I can't work out what yet.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    the lacquer peeling like that is normally a clear sign of damp damage.  just get it all off and see what you are left with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The hard case it was in was totally rotted away and mouldy inside @wezv so it was definitely damp caused the issue. Just hoping the wood beneath is good. Any tips for removing it? I am guessing a heat gun or acetone are no go due to the binding?
    edited November 2015
    OK that was pretty easy, taped the edge of a Stanley blade to give me a shallow blade angle and it came off in 1cm sheets from the rear. Bad news is the bottom corner seems to have been soaked next to the control cavity which explains the snapped very bottom screw. It is however solid and dry so I presume it was a long time ago. The back is a sheet of veneer around 2mm thick and the body seems to be 2 pieces of wood in pancake. My next bit of advice required is that I can strip the sides up to the binding easy enough, but should I do the front too? It's a bit aged and cracked in places but not that bad it's ugly. The back and sides it was falling off. It's a dark brown transparent finish that I think may be shellac. I'm guessing even if I could match the front, the staining in the bottom corner means it may need either the veneer replacing or an solid colour finish.

http://i66.tinypic.com/33l2tg6.jpg

Don't suppose anyone knows how to get this off? I suspect with the 3 screws removed it may just be stuck on by corrosion but am reluctant to tug at it without a better idea.

http://i65.tinypic.com/10fs22r.jpg
    I can't imagine it's held on by more than the screws, a gentle pry while protecting the top will probably free it

I thought so but figured I best check :) I've taped up around it will try tapping a Stanley blade under it.
    Yes... It's off, pretty much fell off lol
    What makes you think the bridge is not original to the bass?

edited November 2015
    I've seen a few photos and it has a different bridge in them

Actually scratch that I found one where it did have it, guess it was some kind of upgrade. This will need replating at the very least though. Now have the bridge posts out so that's the worrying stuff over with. Better get busy with the wire brush and dremel now... Fun times :/
    I did a quick google images search and the bridge looks right, it appears there were different bridges available, perhaps different specs?
    Nice project that, I've alway fancied a Les Paul stylee Bass, just found that Epiphone did one, which of course, is  now discontinued now that I'm gassing for one, just my luck!

It will be for sale or trade when done @paulnb57 ;)
    I like to mod my own, but thanks for the heads up, just a thought, could be utter bollocks but, back in the day when the bass was built, manufacturers blatantly copied existing guitar parts, the Iby bridge looks very similar to the Gibson 2 post bridge, a bit of research may show that a used Gibson bridge could save a lot of faff cleaning, polishing and rechroming.....like I say just a thought....