Yet another one I've taken on Ibanez vintage les Paul bass

What's Hot

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited November 2015
    Well I'm open to trades as it stands or offers @paulnb57 :D The back and sides are mostly stripped though lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3094
    edited November 2015
    I would srip it anyway....

Not sure I have much to trade, or what its worth....are you looking for something specific?

I'm deffo interested

What do you consider a fair price?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited November 2015
    I love teles and strats, not really tried any other fender type guitars but guess I'd like them too. Don't care for les Paul type guitars have 2 that I never play, that probably applies to anything else with humbuckers too. I have seen them sell for around £600 + restored, it's not restored though so £200 seems like an alright price. I'm basing that on the fact I took the risk on what I paid that it was unrepairable. I now know it needs £50 of parts and refinishing so the buyer at least knows what they are getting. I paid less than £200 for it but would struggle to find another for anything near my asking price. If not swaps considered on guitar amp etc.
    Bit too much for me, not disputing the value, just had no idea, my plan was to fill the pickup routes etc, skim quarter inch off the top, cap it with something nice, refinish, one big pup, LP JR plate, turn up loud!
    @Sarge expressed an interest......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited November 2015
    That OK @paulnb57 it's hard to price something like this but I figure any fender or Gibson that was worth 600 with £50 of parts and refinishing would go for a lot more than £200 hence my price. As a matter of interest, I tried a neck from a DE Armond les Paul, it fits lol.
    Interesting regarding the neck, I've also found that an Epiphone EB-0 Bass neck fits the fender type neck route.....

• This looks a very interesting project indeed !
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919
    Did Suzi Q play one of those, back in the day??

I think I remember watching a documentary about her, with one of those on a stand in the corner.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Looking on Google images it looks a bit like Gibson on the headstock but I could be wrong.
  • Guitar and Bass did a piece on Suzi Q's bass a few months back [found the issue - March 2015]. Hers is a 1969 Les Paul Bass with all the low impedence gubbins/pickups. Looks VERY similar to the one you've got there (and not in much better condition).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015
    Spent the morning cleaning up the old Bridge, did the best I could without removing too much metal but there is some pitting. Polished it and lacquered it to protect it afterwards. Really need to find some saddles now, had some luck with @sarge suggestions with a twist. Filled a tub with penetrating fluid and put it in the freezer. Then heated saddles to glowing and dropped them in the cold fluid. Instant dry ice smoke lol. Got three out then typically last on snapped :( Also used t-cut on the pickups which came up lovely.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14aeqaa.jpg
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919
    Nice work @skodadad
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    Will p-bass saddles fit?
    edited November 2015
    Cheers @TTony, it's actually starting to look quite cool now. That's what I think they are @WezV but as ever if you know different I will take your word for it.
    edited November 2015
    Full guitar shot, t-cut brought the front up nice but not sure about the long lacquer cracks, I had no choice but to remove the back and sides but I'd be sad to remove the front. Not sure if I could ever match it though. Also did the frets last night, came up lovely with brasso.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2pqufqx.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's REALLY nice!
    edited November 2015
    Cheers @Andyjr1515 as ever I am guessing at lots and out of my depth a little but it's moving forward a bit by bit. I'm starting to become tempted to try and learn bass, even though I am still learning guitar and finding that hard enough.
    Looks fab!
    I doubt you are out of your depth, just be methodical and patient, oh and ask questions on here if not sure!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015
    My main concern is the finish right now, I've hit some stubborn bits on the side end grain that won't budge. I can't use heat or acetone next to the binding so am picking 1mm bits off with a scalpel. I just don't know where to go with the finish either, simple would be a dark stain and oil but them it's obviously far from original. I don't even know what the original finish is, it's opaque and coloured so I'm guessing a shellac with dye?
    Oh and it came with 250k pots, should I stick with them or would 500s be OK?