Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Feckin' Xmas

What's Hot
Just had to drop £900 on two XBox Ones for my sons for Xmas. To be fair they had saved £150 each towards them (14 yr old twins) but that £600.... That's two flights to Amsterdam + hotel or a nice new guitar and/or amp. FFS. It's a couple of Strymons and change!

Bah, and indeed, humbug.

I'll get some socks in return. Which, indirectly, I'll have paid for.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Could you not buy them each a photograph of an xbox one and then buy yourself a guitar and enough gin to seem like a drunk dad who accidentally  forgot Christmas - they're young, they'll forget
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • When I were a lad we never 'ad stuff like Xboxes. And I'm sure that if such things did exist, I'd have had to share it. One each is a bit much
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why not one console and two controllers? They're twins right? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    It seems clear to me that neither of you understand the way of the teenage world.

I totally agree - one between two would be more than generous. However, xboxes are their window on the world - that's how they talk to their mates, via the headsets and they have them in their rooms. 

I never got anything like that as a nipper but, to be fair, unlike their friends they don't have iPhones or hollister t shirts or Doctor Dre Beat headphones or Nike shoes.

They're generally not spoiled so, despite my ranting, a big pressie each at Xmas isn't that extravagant.

I like Myranda's idea of photo and gin, though. Have a wisdom.
    Tasty tasty gin!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    If you want to see their little faces light up, buy them a torch.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    If you want to see their little faces light up, buy them a torch.
    That's how my dad thought ... I got a few torches as presents .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    £900 on children's Christmas presents ?

You're either very, very rich - or insane.

My money's on the latter.

You could have sold them for medical experiments and made a profit.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I stay out of it frankly. Two of my kids got an iPad each last year and that was just for starters. Causes much unrest. They get way too much. But each year, come November, she goes berserk with the presents. There's a wii sitting in a cupboard somewhere they've never even looked at.

What will we get them this year she says? Well you fckd yourself last year love, says I, cause how do you top the iPads?

Harmony and cheer blah blah blah.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I haven't got to worry about kid's Chrimbo presies any more, my sons all grown up (still in hospital though). Instead I've been landed with £4,000 for his Uni fees.

• jd0272 said:
    What will we get them this year she says? Well you fckd yourself last year love, says I, cause how do you top the iPads?
    I don't really get this attitude, sounds very negative to your partners decisions, and why the need to 'top' the iPads.. I would imagine the kids would find it very easy to play you against each other... remember 'united we stand divided we fall'..
  • Christmas is just a drag.  

Best one I ever had was on my own (well with a few hundred strangers) in an ashram in India. No excess, warm balmy days, lots of singing and playing guitar (and other instruments) - it was fun.  No crappy retail advertising, shitty consumer durables, rubbish telly, sickening sentimentality or family tensions.  

If I had £900 spare I think it might be a fishing trip to the Azores...
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • BodBod Frets: 1354
    Most of our kids presents come from car boot sales.  Why spend full whack when you can have the stuff that other people paid full price for and the kids lost interest in by Boxing Day?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12539
    edited November 2013
    My kids are grown up too but we used to put a firm cap on their Xmas prez spending. Once they got to the age where they started wanting expensive, usually electronic, stuff they were also old enough to know how much it cost. If they wanted say a games console and it was above the spend limit they'd either have to contribute from their savings, ask a relative to put in as well or wait till a birthday and combine Xmas & birthday gifts. Kids already think you're made of money, there's no point giving them extra encouragement. :(
  • Bod said:
    Most of our kids presents come from car boot sales.  Why spend full whack when you can have the stuff that other people paid full price for and the kids lost interest in by Boxing Day?
    interestingly enough my 3 yr old who desperately wants a digger, this one..

will be getting this exact one..

as there was no way I was spending £150 on such an item, and the  one I got off eBay I cannot find anything on it that says its been used, we were so chuffed to have won it.. so I think in some cases 2nd hand can work for pressies.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    strumjoughlamps;85097" said:
    jd0272 said:

I don't really get this attitude, sounds very negative to your partners decisions, and why the need to 'top' the iPads.. I would imagine the kids would find it very easy to play you against each other... remember 'united we stand divided we fall'..
    Because she spoils them consistently giving the reward without the children 'earning' through consistent reasonable behaviour. Hence they're behavioural fucking lunatics.

And if the pressies aren't 'as good' as last year's then they're not happy.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    I guess it depends what they've been brought up to expect.  My kids don't bat an eyelid at second-hand, and are aware that they get more presents if they're second-hand than they would if we bought new.  I'm not saying that everything they get is second-hand, but the vast majority is.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Secondhand was de rigueur when I was a kid. If I didn't get secondhand, I got nothing.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    Agree - 2nd hand stiff is excellent and I've done that with bikes, drum kits, PCs.
    Chuffola said:
    Agree - 2nd hand stiff is excellent and I've done that with bikes, drum kits, PCs.
    I draw the line at secondhand stiffs.  I don't want social services involved.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom