Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The demise of the tie

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
Or at least, the shops that sold them.

I sort-of liked them in the 1980s, but that's because I was a New Romantic (and at school, mostly :) ). I haven't worn one other than to weddings and funerals since around the mid 90s as far as I can remember… the last time I had a job where I wasn't my own boss.

Would anyone miss them?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    I won't.
    I haven't worn a tie once since I left school in 1989.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Nah suits and ties are for the birds man.
    ;)

Can't abide ties and only wear monkey suits for certain events, and no I don't mean for court appearances...much.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I've stopped wearing ties for weddings et al, and only wear one if one needs to present at a court of law. And only then, if it's a Crown court. That's for work, not misplaced 'leisure'.

Or if Mrs jd0272 tells me to.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I once got a job based on my promise during the interview that I could get one of the department to wear a tie - I didn't really care and didn't try... so long as he was good at the job I didn't care what he wore.

I'm so used to wearing one that it would take a bit of reprogramming to change the habit but I would be one less thing to think about on a morning while I'm trying to wake up.
  • I don't possess one and never liked wearing them. The last time I did so was for a job interview 20 years ago. The previous occasion must have been for the interview for the job I had before that one. Anyone who doesn't like me not wearing a tie, dislikes it a lot less than I dislike wearing one.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I have a few, black one for funerals and a couple to match my suits, when I am shooting a wedding I will wear one for the ceremony and take it off for the rest of the shoot.
  • I wear one for work, don't have to but I think a suit without a tie looks twatish. Weddings and funerals also. Never,ever, ever wear one on my own time, or shirts for that matter.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5045
    I like wearing a jacket and tie.  An open shirt never really 'works', it needs a tie to finish the look. Somewhat like guitars, the less the bling, the better the look.  And it needs to be properly tied.  The wider side should just touch the top of your belt, the thinner side is tucked into the little loop at the back of the wider side [look at a tie and you will see what  I mean]
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I dress to suit the occasion. Short and tie for work but I generally look like shite at home, T-shirts, jeans, etc.

• Went for a job interviews today... Put the tie on outside the interview room.. Took it off when I left. They are not cool... Did you know that your best chance of getting upgraded to first class on an airline is to be mid 30's (that's me gone), wear an open necked smart shirt with a pair of smart jeans or chinos put the tie on and you just look desperate
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    Rocker said:
    I like wearing a jacket and tie.  An open shirt never really 'works', it needs a tie to finish the look. Somewhat like guitars, the less the bling, the better the look.  And it needs to be properly tied.  The wider side should just touch the top of your belt, the thinner side is tucked into the little loop at the back of the wider side [look at a tie and you will see what  I mean]
    Agreed about the length, but I always put the thin end inside the shirt, through between the top two buttons - keeps it hidden. I started doing it when (this was the 80s, so bear with me ;) ) the fashion was for thin ties, and school ties were hideous wide 1970s kipper jobs, so I wore them the other way round with the *wide* end inside, out of sight.

I also used to like the 1950s USAF look (with chinos of course, and shirt folded neatly to the elbows) with the main part of the tie tucked in about two buttons down.

I don't mind an open shirt and no tie, even with a suit, but the look I can't abide is the tie-pulled-down which you see on every American police/office drama - if you wear a tie, wear it properly. If not, take it off. Although my daughter's school uniform specifies the tie 'worn loose', for girls! Apparently they got fed up of trying to enforce it done up properly. Boys still have to though…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    taking away the "dress down friday"    there's certainly a relaxation in "office wear"   -  where the was a requirement to wear a tie 5 days a week............... in our co. certainly...has gone. Ties are only required for formal and/or customer facing meetings.  Normal 'acceptable'  wear is suit without tie,  or trousers/shirt  no tie. 

I do like to put on a tie with a suit, and I do like a nice tie................I guess I wear a tie about half a dozen times a year now.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • We haven't had to wear shirt'n'tie in the office for many years but I wear them all the time anyway. I have a tie on right now (and a hoodie cos it's cold). I'm rebelling against rebellion.

I usually do the sloppy, asymmetrical knot (4 in hand?) but sometimes I'll do a (half?) Windsor if I'm wearing one of my less manky, faded shirts.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    edited November 2013
    Wear one for work cos I have to. Wouldn't otherwise. Ties must be the most useless piece of clothing ever invented. Don't keep you warm, don't preserve your modesty, don't do anything remotely useful. It's one of those things like chopsticks - you wonder what the inventor must have been thinking when he up with the idea, and what the populace were thinking to actually buy into it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013
    You don't really hear much of the Columbian Necktie anymore.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I brought a home-made lunch in to work as well with...you guessed it...chopsticks. It's a sort of vege soy sauce donburi with an edamame side in my pretentious bento box.

• I once worked for a bloke who was a good engineer, and a good man manager. He always wore "smart" stuff. I was sat there once in the height of summer, wearing a T shirt and shorts, barefoot with my sandals under the desk. He came up and asked me what I thought of a "dress-down Friday", and I said I couldn't agree with it. He was a bit surprised and asked why not, so I said I don't actually mind the dress down Friday, but I reject the notion that I'm going to dress up the rest of the week. He nodded sagely and said Ah yes I see where you're coming from.

The chap I work for now hates suits & ties, but he will wear stuff like that if he has to see the bank manager. Otherwise he prefers the ever so slightly scruffy side of casual.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    one thing that still irks,  is the inability for a male to be dressed "according to acceptable office standards"  (ie smart trousers/formal shirt no tie)  BUT sill cope when we get the rare days of summer heat............ ladies can of course alter skirt lengths accordingly and even t-shirts and still be classed as 'office smart'   -   but no shorts allowed for men types..............

/sexist rant

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    I like wearing ties to work 

Having spent a decade with the sports jacket & no tie, I actually like the "Shock & Awe" dress code - double cuff shirt, and a (non Tie Rack) silk tie (full windsor knot of course).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I detest wearing a tie. In any case, the necktie serves no practical purpose whatsoever. Why do they even exist?!