Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The demise of the tie

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ties are a phallic symbol.

I don't know where I'm going with that now but there you go.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I detest wearing a tie. In any case, the necktie serves no practical purpose whatsoever. Why do they even exist?!
    Good question. My mum is a fashion expert ie she studied fashion history at art school and worked as a dress designer for manufacturers who sold to the high street shops. She says that ever since the Elizabethan ruff went out of fashion in the early 1600s it was the done thing for men to wear something tied around the neck. Look at old paintings. They had lace collars but it wasn't long before they were wearing cravats or something like it. The notion that a well dressed gentleman had something round his neck has been around for quite a while. I don't agree with that notion, but that is the history. Unfortunately the corporate world has turned it into some kind of immutable uniform without which it is almost impossible to do business. I'm told they're not so silly about it in Europe: business IS possible without a suit & tie!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    edited November 2013
    I detest wearing a tie. In any case, the necktie serves no practical purpose whatsoever. Why do they even exist?!
    to prevent a "collared" shirt looking spazzy when the top button is done up.  Nothing more geeky

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I stopped wearing one after nearly being killed by a Laserjet 2200. :D
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I wear a tie with my suit for the daily office fracas. I have got so used to it that it doesn't bother me except that as my middle age neck gets fatter I keep needing larger sizes of collar to remain comfortable and I notice that different brands of shirts feel tight or loose with the same alleged collar size. I have an impressive inventory of ties (about 30) aquired over a prolonged period of years, many of them silk bought for about a fiver each, it can brighten the day and develop pleasant conversation with wimmins.
    Summer it is a pain watching those same wimmins in sleeveless low neck tops and lightweight skirts being all cool that then complain in winter that they are cold.
    Sexual equality? Nah!

I stopped wearing one after nearly being killed by a Laserjet 2200. :D
    should have been around in the days of daisy-wheel or large band printers.............thank fuck for   tie clips 
  • I wonder if ties ever did become disestablished, what the corporate world would think of next, to become de-rigeur and without which business will not be possible? Red braces? lace-up shoes? 666 tattoo on the forehead?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    its preposterous what the late 80s/90s did for the image braces,  for they really are the best method of keeping "suit" trousers up, while maintaining a good  "fit and fall' for the legs
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I like wearing a suit and tie, makes me feel good. I have trouble finding a balance between a good knot size and tie length. I wonder if there are longer ties for tall pople?
    My V key is broken
    edited November 2013
    well I certainly have ties of quite differing lengths.........
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    Only for weddings and funerals, suits look a bit odd without a tie IMO.

Rest of the time I look like a tramp. 
    Neil said:

Rest of the time I look like a tramp. 
    smell like one too
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_Pip;86908" said:
    I wonder if ties ever did become disestablished, what the corporate world would think of next, to become de-rigeur and without which business will not be possible? Red braces? lace-up shoes? 666 tattoo on the forehead?
    I work in a corporate environment famous for people in suits yet i can wear whatever i feel like to work. Obviously if I have a customer meeting it's expected to dress smartly but 95% of the time I'm jeans and t-shirt.

The sales guys are always fully suited and booted though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ