Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was your religion?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Since my Rapid Eye Movement episode I seem to be losing my religion
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    octatonic said:
    Kebabkid said:
    I've met a few Lesbatarians. We seemed to have a bit in common.
    Big hips?
    Got it in one :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    My mum went to a catholic convent school and those places produce the best atheists :D

My dad I think is sort of vaguely CofE, but I don't know of him ever having been to church, or ever having mentioned religion.

I was raised with no faith at all (it just wasn't mentioned) and haven't ever been to church except for weddings.

I'm probably best described as naturalistic and skeptical in my outlook so I have no real opinion on god. If pushed Secular Humanism is probably the closest thing to my outlook though I do see a certain appeal in deism. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited November 2013
    randomhandclaps;88643" said:

Does that mean if you were locked in a box, wearing a straight jacket and then the box was dropped in to a tank of water then you could get out before you drowned?
    Sadly no that might have been fun, but they did have me in a straight jacket and room with mattresses on the wall. ;)

Bellycaster;88666" said:
    johnnyurq said:

Episcopalian

I'd love to see a Pissed Up Alien :-D

Damn you have found me out, time for a different planet. Oh no I forgot that is when I am pissed I think I am an Alien. Doh!
    :)

When I was young I thought it had something to do with fish, I was partly right because religion to me is a bit fishy.
    octatonic;88645" said:
    Kebabkid said:

Big hips?
    For me it is the love of the female form and chocolate, oh plus checked shirts, dungarees and big boots (only kidding Myranda don't hurt me, please).

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    I do keep meaning to do something about re-engaging with Buddhism again and the Eric Jr's have some interest. MrsTheweary is of the opinion that it was good for me and practicing meditation again would be good for my mental health.

I do seem to quite enjoy religion although I have never had any actual belief in any kind of all powerful old man sitting on a cloud type of thing.
    Meditation is getting there I think.  It's still got a bit of the "weirdos in saffron robes" about it in the public mind but there's also a growing understanding that it isn't just weirdos in saffron robes.  Even people who don't know the first thing about it are no longer suspicious when you say it's something you do.  It's interesting watching things change.  Once it was odd to want to go down a gym, or do yoga, or be a veg*n; now, it's not odd.  And meditation will get there too.  I got into meditation via Buddhism but I have no religious bones left now; still meditate though.  

I grew up Roman Catholic.  A couple of years ago I had a massive argument with my gf about Catholicism.  At that time I thought I was atheist but also managed to keep a bit of easy-going "what's the harm in going to Church, I like the rituals" tradition.  She hated Roman Catholicism and, have to say, she tore the last bit of faith which I didn't even know I had from me.  Very, very painful.  But now at least everything is consistent. 

Beliefs go deep, way below the level of conscious thought. 

Now, everything has gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123

RC, I tried practicing it as a child, but I couldn't get the hang of it (that's my normal reply when my religious relatives ask if I still go to church)

I've sent my kids to a state school, in contrast to the RC one I went to. I am wondering if that means they miss out on being inoculated against becoming born-again

I worked with a guy once who was a Mormon high-priest in the past, but the internet cured him in his 30s. btw the bible says we should all give 10%, I don't know how the pope let that opportunity pass by.

My issue with that was that I though the 10% God asked for was for the poor, rather than 10% for his "agent" to spend

• Baptised Methodist-Calvinist (I was always puzzled by the animosity towards other slightly different sects of the same cult, where different chapels in the same town or village were thought a bit strange). Anyway, I'd seen right through it by the age of 8. I still believed in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy then, but hey - evidence.

What irks me the most by now is the special treatment religions get in society. You're free to practice your religion, I'm free to mock it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    Kebabkid said:
    octatonic said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Big hips?
    and worshiping at the furry altar
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    My grandfather was a minister with the Church of Scotland however both my parents are atheists, so none really. 

However if you were to ask me if I was religious I would probably say yes. In a way that I couldn't explain in a  justifiable manor on here. 
    However the older I get, the more ferociously agnostic I become.
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    octatonic said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Big hips?
    Mmmmm hairy triangles that is all you think of all day long, hairy triangles. Or maybe landing strips. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    C of E but I go to the local Catholic church when I go.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    johnnyurq said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    octatonic said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Big hips?
    Mmmmm hairy triangles that is all you think of all day long, hairy triangles. Or maybe landing strips. 
    or Beetle's bonnets..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;89137" said:
    johnnyurq said:

Kebabkid said:

Kebabkid said:

octatonic said:

Kebabkid said:

Big hips?

or Beetle's bonnets..........
    or football stadiums in Qatar?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.