Classic Player Jazzmaster re-finish project

What's Hot
I'm thinking of re-finishing my CP JM in nitro as Christmas holiday project (wrong time of year to be re-spraying I know). Can't decide whether to remove the poly first or just over-spray? Also not sure of what colour to go for - always fancied a Sherwood Green JM, but also quite like the idea of Shoreline Gold, Pelham Blue or even Dakota Red. I've got two gold guitars already (Tokai Jazz bass and Rev Manta Ray), so Shoreline Gold would be like the JM joining the family, but then Pelham Blue would look something like the Lee Ranaldo JM which I like. And I'm considering Dakota Red, just because I don't have a red guitar... Choices, choices...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sherwood green for the win!

I would strip and refinish personally but it will add a lot of extra work
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited December 2015
    Ocean Turquoise is the answer
    http://oi52.tinypic.com/5xo7sx.jpg
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ^ smells a bit lake placid bluey
  • ewalewal Frets: 2649
    If I was going to go blue, I'm thinking something a bit darker than that.
    So North West Guitars courier won't ship nitro to Perth (?!), and Manchester Guitar Tech is out of Sherwood Green... Might have to go with another colour...
  • Rosewood or maple?
    Rosewood
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ewal said:
    So North West Guitars courier won't ship nitro to Perth (?!), and Manchester Guitar Tech is out of Sherwood Green... Might have to go with another colour...
    Perth australia?
    Gagaryn said:
    ewal said:
    Perth australia?
    If only... Perth, Scotland... Not too far up the motorway from North West Guitars really...
    Just checked and they actually ship to Dundee which is further away from them than Perth, but isn't classed in the courier's stupid system as the 'Highlands'...
    Gone for Ice Blue - hope I don't regret it... If I do I suppose I can always re-spray again!
  • or stick it in the sun and it will go green
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

So I've sanded down the body, the Ice Blue nitro has arrived, all set to go... The only problem being it's been raining constantly for the last 5 days, so can't get out to my 'spraying booth' (aka knackered greenhouse). Looking at the weather forecast, I might be able to make some progress round about March...

Managed to get started this morning - here's a fuzzy photo after a couple of colour coats on the headstock. Managed to get a run on the body, so leaving that to dry so I can sand it out.

edited January 2016
    Looks silver in this crappy light, however it's not. Note use of christmas tree stand to hold guitar while it dries.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/ewal_01/Mobile Uploads/14527047659231322364462.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Getting there mate. Looks good!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • that looks great!

Its exactly the same colour as my IBM AVRI Jag I had. 

Nice!