RIP Dexter the cat

What's Hot
johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
edited December 2013 in Tributes
Our youngest cat (aged 2) went missing yesterday and sadly we found him after being hit by a car, we are all gutted because he was a lovely natured wee cat and awesome fun for us and our grandson who were firms friends.

We got him when he arrived at our door mewing like a mewy thing and far too young to be away from his mother, after taking him to the SSPCA and putting flyers up (we were concerned a kiddie or kiddies would be missing their kitty).

No one claimed him and the SSPCA were threatening to put him down so we couldn't let that happen so he joined our family and the other 2 cats.

Poor wee Dexter, sadly missed.

Doing what he likes best.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/Dexter2_zpsf931fcc3.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/Dexter4_zpsaecca2a1.jpg

With Leo his proxy big bro.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/DSCF1222_zps03380b2d.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sorry to hear that Johnny.  Wishing you a much, much better 2014.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited December 2013
    Thanks @randomhandclaps we are hoping it does improve next year as we have had enough of 2013 now, although we are awaiting my wife's mum to pass away imminently (end stage Emphysema @ 68) weeks or even days the docs reckon.

2013 is officially ours and many others shittiest year ever.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5028
    edited December 2013
    :(

Such a cute little fellow, sorry to hear it.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Sorry to hear this.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15619
    :( really sorry to hear that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Sorry to hear it, Johnny, may the best of 2013 be the worst of 2014.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Oooff! The awful grief is the reason I no longer have any more cats. I just can't take the pain when this kind of thing happens. I'm sorry to hear about Dexter, and hope the New Year is a bit kinder to you.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Sorry to hear that fella.

And has been said already, hoping that 2014 is kinder to you.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• my sincerest sympathies Johnny. Its happened to me too. May next year be a much better one.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Thanks guys it never ceases to amaze me that hairy arsed guitarists and even bikers can be blubbering emotional wrecks when a much loved pet dies.

But the little buggers get us every time. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yeah I hear you fella. You've had 'more than most' to go through in this one. 

That's the thing with cats tho isn't it? The dogs I was always OTT with, but the cat, well, it's the cat. It goes oot. You've just got to hope it comes back. They're not really happy being 'house pets'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Gutted for you :(
    My V key is broken
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    I'm dreading the day when my little canine buddy eventually goes to the big park in the sky.  I've never experienced the grief of losing a pet and I love him to bits.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    I used to be mainly a dog and hamster kinda dude but her indoors lobed cats and in short order so did I. Although she used to keep rats too and they were fun as well, it is fair to say I love cats as much as dogs since about 30 years now.

I have had dogs all my life and it is always a hard and shitty thing losing them, you never get used to it. All part of the deal for pet lovers. Unless of course you keep giant turtles/tortoises, Effelumps and maybe monitor lizards.

Boy I wish I still took a bevvy!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    So sorry to hear this :(

Cute little fellow.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cute looking cat .. so sad!

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Emp_Fab;95726" said:
    I'm dreading the day when my little canine buddy eventually goes to the big park in the sky.  I've never experienced the grief of losing a pet and I love him to bits.

Its fucking awful. My last buddy was great. But had to stay at my parents for 6 months due to work.

Dad phoned, dog not well, not urinating. Vet had no answers. Dog soldiered on. Dog became v unwell and wouldn't get up.

I took time off work (told boss "look I'm off ok....") and went up. Dog got up and limped over. Dad told me first time dog had moved in days (thus one filled up). Took him to vet.

Vet phoned some hours later "It's nerve damage, spinal, he's on the table, I can't fix it. I can stitch him up but he'll be in constant pain, or, well, I can...."

I had to take two weeks off work. Was me mate. 5am walks every day. Caught people shagging in bushes in the snow on the rugby field (in snow at daft o'clock!) and all sorts. Sorely missed.

He's in a box in my bedside unit. Fucking crackin mate he was.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    shit, sad news.  :(
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    That's really bad news, very sorry to hear that! :-<

I was in pretty much the same situation at the start of the year - we got two kittens last April, sisters. One went out on 1st Jan and didn't come back before we went to bed. I woke up suddenly at about 4:30am the next morning knowing she wasn't in the house, went outside looking and found her down the street - obviously hit by a car, but somebody had wrapped her in some newspaper and put her on a wall. That definitely ranks as the single worst moment of my life - not just finding her, I'd steeled myself for that possibility, but having to bring her back and wake my partner up to deliver the bad news. The worst part was actually the look on our other cat's face when she saw me carrying her sister into the house - total shock, then tentatively stepping forward to sniff and confirm the worst.

Even though we'd only had her 10 months I was absolutely gutted - she was almost 18 months and growing into such a cool cat. I'll always miss her. Her ashes are in a box in our bedroom, when it feels right we'll put them in the garden.

We only waited a month before going to the cat rescue center and picking up a 6 month old kitten - our surviving cat was staying in the house, being very clingy with us and spending lots of time looking out the window like she used to do when waiting for her sis. Getting another was definitely the best thing we could have done, because it gave us more positive stuff to be worried about - integrating a new cat into the house and making sure she got on with the incumbent cat. It took a few weeks but they quickly became good friends. And though she's totally different to the cat that we lost, she's fucking hilarious and after a wobbly start is obviously so happy to have a home and loving family that I can't imagine life if we hadn't got her.

Do what's right for you, but if you can face it I'd recommend looking for another cat when the time feels right. If there is space in your home for a cat that needs a family you'll be doing some good, even though you'll never replace Dexter.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    So sorry to hear your news @johnnyurg.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum