clean boost recommendations

nickpnickp Frets: 183
just after a little boostage to finish off phase 1 of the pedal board (it's missing drive pedals!).  I'm thinking of a boost for the loop but also maybe getting a second one to use at the front of the signal chain to level out the volume between the strat and the LP.

not looking for any significant colouring of the sound and not looking to pay daft money and its always second hand with me coz i'm a skinflint (or rather my wife is!!)

@stickyfiddle - don't you like a handbuilt one that you got somewhere???

ta

Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    TC Spark Booster, set clean it gives lots of extra oomph and fidelity and also has fat and mid boost options if you want to drive the amp a bit more.

I might have a spare one.........
  • I quite fancy the Spark mini booster for something similar although I doubt if you would find one second hand. Richard's Spark would be more versatile as well - built in flexibility if you needed it in the future.

There was a Rothwell F1 on the classifieds here as well which seemed a good price for a pedal of that quality.

There are a couple of boosts in the Mooer range but long term it sounds like the Mooers aren't wearing well.Super duper when you could get them for £25 from China but not at shop prices. 

The Boo clean boost has a nice functional look, £46 inc p+p off their website or you could look at their eBay shop and you might get one cheaper.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • nickp;6449" said:

@stickyfiddle - don't you like a handbuilt one that you got somewhere???

ta

Nick
    I do indeed! It's the "blaster" from pedalparts.co.uk - clone of an Alembic Stratoblaster. It's got a slight mid hump and works particularly well with Strats. Absolutely my favourite 1-knob boost, and I've tried a few!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I like an MXR Micro amp in the loop.

There's a slight mid-range hump but not too bad. To my ear the hump is more noticable in front of the amp (Ceratinly Marshall)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• danodano Frets: 1647
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    xotic rc every time

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    lot to be said for the M-Amp. in the bang for buck arena.................  even more to be said for an RC for performance....... 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Another shout for the MXR MicroAmp.  I had an early one pot version, works great in valve amps.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • I prefer the Spark Booster over the Micro Amp (the one knob version, not that limited edition 'custom shop' new one).

The Spark Booster gives you bass and treble controls, as well as the clean/mid/fat toggle. Very versitile, plus it's got a gain knob so you can add a bit of grit if you like, it actually works really well as a very light OD pedal. Sometimes wish I hadn't sold mine!

• @not_the_dj

I'm glad you did !!!
  • @not_the_dj

I'm glad you did !!!

I think I'll be buying another in Jan (so long as Xmas isn't too costly!).
    @not_the_dj

I'm glad you did !!!

Ahem... Let me know if you are hurtin' for one.
    @not_the_dj

I'm glad you did !!!

Ahem... Let me know if you are hurtin' for one.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    thanks guys

nice to see the TC guys getting "the love"

@Richardj - pm sent!

@stickyfiddle - thanks for that I'll check out their website.  I
  • vizviz Frets: 11025
    Why don't people opt for a volume pedal like a Little Alligator in the loop? To my mind it's perfect because on full treadle the sound is opened up completely for your solos, and as you heel it it's like turning down the master volume (so it's an attenuator not a boost). There's no loss in tone when in the loop, and it's rugged as an outside toilet.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Why don't people opt for a volume pedal like a Little Alligator in the loop? To my mind it's perfect because on full treadle the sound is opened up completely for your solos, and as you heel it it's like turning down the master volume (so it's an attenuator not a boost). There's no loss in tone when in the loop, and it's rugged as an outside toilet.

I used to do just that, but with the Morley Pro Volume Plus. Cheaper than the Little Alligator but with a footswitch on the side to toggle between regular volume pedal and having the heal down set by the pot. It is a great solution, only issue for me was the size of the thing!

Before that I did a similar thing with a Napalm pedals volume switch, one of those "volume pots in a box" sat in my FX loop.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411

The discontunued Catalinbread Serrano Picoso (mini one) is very good for purely giving a volume hike with no colouration (keep the one knob control around 12 o'clock as it's not an attractive sound when dirtied up).

On the cheap, the Behringer PB-100 Preamp Booster does the job!

PM'd you back.
  • vizviz Frets: 11025
    viz said:

I used to do just that, but with the Morley Pro Volume Plus. Cheaper than the Little Alligator but with a footswitch on the side to toggle between regular volume pedal and having the heal down set by the pot. It is a great solution, only issue for me was the size of the thing!

Before that I did a similar thing with a Napalm pedals volume switch, one of those "volume pots in a box" sat in my FX loop.

yep, looks like a good pedal. I like the size - I don't have great balance on stage!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    viz said:

I've been using the volume control on my Boss GT-8 for the same reason. But I'm getting rid of the GT-8 and going for proper pedals.

However I've found myself fecking about too much with little volume adjustments wheareas I'm really only after a slight boost running through the loop to bring the guitar to the fore in the mix - say for stuff like won't be fooled again by the who where some of the guitar lines need to stand out but not have a full on in your face solo lift - if you get my drift.  The amp has a full on volume boost when I'm soloing for a face melting volume hike :) 

I had originally bought a volume pedal to do the same but have flogged it again on the evilbay coz of a horrible tone suck so I'm thinking of trying a simpler approch to stop me fiddling with the volume too much!!!!