Help me mod my Fender Cyclone!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Yes - at the bridge end - annoyingly the 'off' string spacing is at the nut…!

But you haven't removed the saddle springs. You'll get at least another 2-3mm of adjustment range on any string if you do. The only problem you may run into is that you might have to shorten the intonation screws so they don't cover the string slot entirely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited January 2016
    Yeah the high e felt off when I played it as it would occasionally slip off the fretboard.

I tried that, was still a quater of a tone sharp with the staddle right back to the bridge as far as it would go.

Would I need a new nut? I'm guessing that's an all clear on the telecaster saddles swap?

Ones like these?

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/saddles-c110/graphtech-i-o-s-tele-barrel-6-pieces-p5461/s5503?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=graph-tech-graphtech-i-o-s-tele-barrel-6-pieces-ps-8166-00&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CP696tqrn8oCFRKeGwod0MgK6Q
    edited January 2016
    No - unfortunately because the string spacing is correct at the bridge end you can't really use saddles with an offset string groove. You will need to either use shortened Strat saddles if you can find any that fit, or to go the whole hog with the Tele 3-saddle conversion.

And a new nut too, since that's the only way to fix the string alignment. You can't make a right out of two wrongs by offsetting it at the bridge - that would only have worked if the issue had been at the bridge. (Actually the spacing is even very slightly the *other* way at the bridge, which makes it even more awkward.)

I now begin to see why these guitars had such a poor reputation - the one I set up wasn't this bad so it did puzzle me a bit, but sadly your one does need thoroughly sorting out :(.

Edit: having done a bit of thinking, this Wilkinson VSVG bridge might sort out the bridge problems with the minimum of work.

It looks like there's much more travel in the saddles. That would just leave fitting a new nut.

It is extremely expensive though…

The cheapest option is probably to get the 6-saddle Tele saddles and see if you can get them to line up right - I would reverse them so the string groove is on the treble side of the screw, since that should pull the string alignment slightly over that way, which is correct even though it will make the string slipping off the side problem worse until the nut is fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    I'd go the whole hog now Shaun as this could be cool as fook once sorted :)

I'd also get some mojo / oil city's in
    I guess either way ill have to buy it to try em out. If they don't work I don't suppose I'd be able to return them would I? The wilkinson bridge looks very good option.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2016
    You mentioned maybe a refinish? Why not move the bridge before hand and cover it up with a new paint job, if you were going to paint it anyway of course.
    edited January 2016
    Would plugging the original holes be enough to drill new holes? My experience is screws always find the weakest point to travel through regardless of how accurately you screw them. Seeing as we're talking millimeters would the bridge need to come back enough to clear the old screw holes?

Refinish wise I'm totally indecisive on colour!

I'm really suprised by this, I'd expect these kind of issues from a cheap knock off but how lax must your QC be to not even check the guitar intonates properly before manufacturing them?! Still if the Wilkinson bridge would work I think I'll opt for that, read good things about them and Wilkinson hardware adorns quite a few quality manufactured guitars, not to mention Andy TImmons' Ibanez.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2016
    Knowing the issues you and others have had I'd still buy one, it looks cool as hell and I'd take the attitude you have and just get it sorted and enjoy it.

With the right plugs and right glue I'm sure it can be done though I'm sure someone will be along to give you a definitive answer.
    Yeah, well I work in woodworking (CNC side with little to no joinery experience, I kinda fell into the job ha) but whenever I've had to re drill holes if you're too close to the original hole it'll end up going right back in there. I've no experience on this if holes have been filled or dowelled so I could be wrong. I like the idea of not having the drill anything and the VSVG looks damn cool.

Yeah, too many times I've bought guitars and perservered with their problems only to move them on before really getting them where I wanted them. LIke I said this guitar ticks a lot of boxes for me and has the scope to be a do it all for the band I'm in.

I have no experience with Oil City or Mojo but they get a lot of dicussion on this site. Any specific model pickups you had in mind?
    I'd maybe get a mojotron for the bridge and a custom made single coil/p90 for the neck.
    I was thinking of getting a really nice strat neck pick up and something like an alnico II in the bridge.

I don't mind P90s but not the tone in going for. I have an SG if I need those tones.
    Fair enough, strat pickup would be nice :)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    Ché said:

Basically I want a HSS Strat but dislike the look. Wanted something I could make a bit more unique to me. 

Just a thought but wasn't there that sig model for that Mexican guitarist that was kind of an HSS Strat but at the same time not ?
    Name escapes me at the mo'
    edited January 2016
    Sergio Vallin, that's the one

edited January 2016
    Saw that when it was first released. I'm really not fond of the looks!

Ordered the Wilkinson VSV-G. Fingers crossed.
    Ché said:
    Saw that when it was first released. I'm really not fond of the looks!

Ordered the Wilkinson VSV-G. Fingers crossed.
    The VSVG is a quality bit of kit, hope it sorts teh intonation issue !
    Me too, if not I've still got a sweet bridge to use when I move the bridge back.
    DrBob said:
    The VSVG is a quality bit of kit, hope it sorts teh intonation issue !
    So do I, having recommended it and at that price...

:)

It does look like there's a lot of adjustment range possible, the saddles can be moved right back so they overhang the plate at the back - their adjustment slots are open at the front end so as long as there's enough under the screw head to hold it, the saddle can move further than any other design I can think of.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Should arrive tomorrow. Will report ASAP!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    I'll await your findings