Anyone wonna buy a strat bridge?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    Did it work?!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    grungebob said:
    Did it work?!
    If so i can see a lot more of those Cyclones popping up around here, they are cool as f**k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    DrBob;931944" said:
    grungebob said:

Did it work?!

If so i can see a lot more of those Cyclones popping up around here, they are cool as f**k
    I'd be very interested in buying one, never got on with strats but I love my duo sonic.

• ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited January 2016
    :P Yeah it worked!

Intonates fine, even coming off too flat at times so there's more than enough travel. Intonation is finicky but I always hated how the saddles vibrated themsellves loose so it cures that problem for me too.

There's loads of fret buzz up the neck so I'm gonna take it to get the frets, truss rod and nut looked at. Needs a new nut to space the strings properly anyway.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    Well shit! Now I need to buy a cyclone again. How much was the bridge if you don't line me asking?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Ché said:
    :P Yeah it worked!

Intonates fine, even coming off too flat at times so there's more than enough travel.
    Excellent! I can breathe again now :).

Nice to see that as I expected it has helped very slightly with the string alignment too - I thought it might since only the low E pivot screw is a round hole, the others are intentionally oval to allow for different screw spacing, and with it replacing a Mexican bridge it's pulled the spacing just a touch towards the bass side. A new nut will fix the rest.

grungebob said:
    Well shit! Now I need to buy a cyclone again. How much was the bridge if you don't line me asking?
    More than the guitar? :-O ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Haha, not far off bro! Definitely an investment, worth it though given it's fixed a guitar I really like and if I ever build something or need it for another guitar I can utilise it.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    Well done Shaun. Could have one seriously cool guitar on your hands there
    edited January 2016
    It's also nice to see that you're as OCD as I am about setting the polepiece screws exactly at right-angles to the strings. I'm only surprised it took me that long to notice :D.

I spy another possible problem too… is the bridge touching the pickguard? If so it will cause tuning trouble when you use the trem since the bridge will bind on it. You'll need to file back the pickguard slightly to clear it. (This is of course also because the bridge was fitted too far forwards originally.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Now for the pickups!!!
    ICBM said:
    It's also nice to see that you're as OCD as I am about setting the polepiece screws exactly at right-angles to the strings. I'm only surprised it took me that long to notice :D.

I spy another possible problem too… is the bridge touching the pickguard? If so it will cause tuning trouble when you use the trem since the bridge will bind on it. You'll need to file back the pickguard slightly to clear it. (This is of course also because the bridge was fitted too far forwards originally.)
    You sir, are a genius. I wondered why it was going out with whammy action, it's sticking under it quite a bit. Guess I'll just file it with a.. file... might just leave my tech to do it when it goes over it.

Wonna say huge respect for advicing on the bridge btw, saved me a ton of hassle!

blueskunk said:
    Well done Shaun. Could have one seriously cool guitar on your hands there

Yeah quite excited about it. Hope there's no major problem with the neck. Frets will probably need some attention, they always do to some degree.
    edited January 2016
    So my techs busy till next week so I'm gonna start looking at pickups.

I'm pretty much settled on the Seymour Duncan SSL-1 for the neck given Frusciante favours them.

As for the bridge I'm looking for a Santana style humbucker. From what I've read Alnico II magnets are what I'd need to be looking at for that tone.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers again guys!
    Shaun
    So GAK are out of stock of the Seymour Duncan APH-1b even though it doesn't say so on their site... happening too many times this. They need to get on ball with their stock updates.

In light of this I'm looking at other options. I have a recording session Friday and would like to pick something up (no pun intended) relatively quickly.

SD Seth Lover Birdge or Antiquity Humbucker Bridge are options. What d'you reckon would get me closest to a Santana-esque tone?
    Sticking with Alnico II magnets.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    Have a looky at mojo or oilcity Shaun. :)
    I like Duncans and I've used them happily for more than 25 years, but the new British pickup makers are just as good if not better, and more responsive. I would particularly recommend our very own TheGuitarWeasel (Oil City pickups) for quality and service. Unless it's an unusual Duncan like a P-Rails which there is no standard equivalent to he can make you essentially the same spec pickup.

Hey dudes,

Got my self a Duncan SSL-1 and Alnico Pro II Trembucker. Need to look at pots now so I have all components for my tech to wire it.

The dual con pots I find can be rated for 250k/500k or 500k/500k. Anyone care to shed light on the pros and cons of the values?

I'm thinking 250k/500k for the Single Coiil and 500k/500k for the Trembucker circuit. Would also like a treble bleed cap on the humbucker circuit. Might need to measure the body to see if I can fit stacked CTS pots in there first!
    Anyone know where I can get stacked CTS pots?

All Parts are out of stock.