Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gotta work till we're 68 now.

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited December 2013
    I think the problem is that as technology develops, there's less need for a large workforce and that's a problem when the global economy hangs on to this notion that you live off what you earn from working. It's a long term problem that started at the beginning of the industrial revolution and has carried on to this day - a new technological development means that thousands of people's jobs are replaced by ten people and a machine. What are those thousands of people to do? Go and find new jobs, which probably don't exist. The commercial world casts these people aside. Some may find new work. Maybe some will start a company or invent something. But not everyone is cut out for that.

If we take it to its logical extreme, what would happen if a machine was made that could provide humanity with everything it needed? Food, clothing, housing, energy, and goods - computers, cars, all the mass produced shite we love. There'd be no need for anyone to work. There would still be the arts - music, tv, etc, services like restaurants because it's nice to go out and have a meal and entertainment like tourism etc. But not everyone is cut out to be a chef, or musician, or philosopher, or to sit out their days idly enjoying a perfectly tended garden. It goes against our very nature.

I suspect that humans being who they are would wage a pointless war over the machine. Someone would win it and force people into slavery to serve them, the rightful rulers of the machine. They would be given goals to aspire to, things that felt like freedom - a house you could only afford by slaving for your whole life, a car so you could drive about and meet fellow slaves in your rest periods. People who served well might be granted a few years of retirement at the end of their life, a "kindness" from the benevolent ruler.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    Cirrus said:

I suspect that humans being who they are would wage a pointless war over the machine. Someone would win it and force people into slavery to serve them, the rightful rulers of the machine. They would be given goals to aspire to, things that felt like freedom - a house you could only afford by slaving for your whole life, a car so you could drive about and meet fellow slaves in your rest periods. People who served well might be granted a few years of retirement at the end of their life, a "kindness" from the benevolent ruler.

sorry, but this is just silly speculation. Nothing like that could ever come about, it's just so far fetched...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    The machine would invent other, better machines and human existence would change so radically, so quickly, it's impossible to predict how we will live or whether we will be better or worse off for it.

I don't actually know that for sure, I've just been reading The Singularity by Kurzweil
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:

that's kind of my point, we have to work. It's fundamental to us as a species, we can't just sit around drinking g&t on a beach

Yeah, I tried that when I was a stude and it really did get boring. It was in Italy and had a really nice German gf...

You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong? 
    You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done? 

"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • vizviz Frets: 11026

were you on a "sand"wich course, geddit?

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I suppose I should do some work then :ar!

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 4-year course, 1-year abroad, I made it 18 months by including both summer hols...

You may ask yourself, where is that large automobile? 
    You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful house 
    You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful wife 
  • vizviz Frets: 11026
    OK. By the way, have you noticed that you're putting talking head lyrics at the end of your messages?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Story of my life...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    octatonic said:
    I'm working on early retirement, never mind 68. If I live that long it'll be a miracle.
    I never want to 'retire' as such but I'm working on being able to do what I want, rather than what I have to do.
    I'm working on having enough cash to be able to do what I want when I stop full time employment. Which is kind of what you're saying. But as I don't currently do the lottery, it could be a longer job than I originally thought. If I had enough cash I'd be out of the door as soon as I'd got my coat on. Someone else can clear my desk.

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited December 2013
    Too close for comfort mate - have a LOL
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    You don't need cash to be able to do what you want. You just need to be able to stomach the result of not having cash, or at least having very little of it.

The whole "I'm working to be able to retire early and do what I want to do" path is fraught with delusion and heart attacks.

If you don't want to work, then don't. Simple. If you do want to work, but not in a shitty office, then don't. Simple. Get a 15-20 hour a week job at a McDonalds, and spend the rest of the time playing guitar. But realise once you do that; no family, limited social life, no feelings of accomplishment, etc.. etc..

It's not that you're trapped. It's that you don't want to give up the perks that working a 40hour week gives you. Dems the breaks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the perks being a roof and food?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A wisdom for that.  I find myself having an occasional twinge of discontent when I meet someone who is loafing about on a public sector inflation-proofed pension or a fat-cat final-salary job, but as my wife says, I have "had a life."  On the couple of occasions I looked at being an apparatchik or a corporate man I could not get out of there fast enough.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    You can get roof and food with very little money. All you need to do - even in London - is be willing to share a house with 6 or 7 other people, have a shared kitchen, lounge, and possibly share a bedroom with a girlfriend too. We did it at uni, probably 7 years ago now I guess. We were paying £216 per-month, per-person for ages - that was all bills, council tax, and rent. This is in London as well.

But most 30-something year olds aren't willing to live like that. So they need a job. It isn't rocket science. You have these desires and needs, and in order to get them, you sacrifice some of your energy and freedom.

The trick is to not have desires or needs! Not so easy when you're barraged by a culture that nigh on enforces a culture of conformity. If you get to 44 and you don't have kids, people think you're weird. If you get to 29 and don't have a steady relationship, people think you're weird.

And it's also not so easy when those desires and needs give you benefits of themselves. It's lovely to have a family, it's lovely to be in a committed relationship with someone you love. It's lovely to come home, and not have a messy kitchen because 6 other people haven't cleaned up their mess.

Again, it isn't rocket science. We know within a pretty narrow band, how people will react in certain situations. Communes don't work because not everyone puts in the same effort, so there are negatives that come from that. Living alone doesn't work because of the isolation, loneliness, and negativity that encroaches into your life. Living with a long term girlfriend or wife puts you in a mindset of thinking about "the future" all the time, and most women want kids, as a man this is something that scares the shit out of us. We generally don't want them, because then our quality of life is really fucked - work harder, pay more, have less for yourself. Rational self interest tells us that it is a dumb move for any one to make, yet we still do it.

We make our choices, and have to see them through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • See that Cort Guitars Video?

That's the U.K in 20 years that is!

Once more it's bend over and grease up time again.

People don't need to keep working in order to stay alive, there are other things in life like Walking, Fishing, Gardening and Bowls and lots more. That is possibly the weakest argument ever. If you are able bodied you can get out and do things for free or for cheap.

Some people choose to stay working for spare cash, fair enough, if that's what they want.

The perpetual rhetoric on "The Deficit" is BULLSHIT. A Country can never ever ever ever ever ever ever have zero National Debt as the entire basis of the Banking System is based on "Fucking Debt".

It's just a lame pretext to keep people under the boot, keep taxing you and then hope you pop off the mortal coil before they have to pay you any pension.

The idea of living in a Kibbutz or a Gulag never really appealed to me either. I don't think it's too much to ask for a man to live in his own preferred circumstances, lots of people, myself included, only want a simple, quiet life with enough to get by. Not everyone wants all the trapping and excesses, me included again.

But it seems even that is too much to ask. With my work my body will be fucked up by 65, let alone 68, if I live that long that is.

Rant Over.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Drew_fx said:
    You don't need cash to be able to do what you want. You just need to be able to stomach the result of not having cash, or at least having very little of it.

The whole "I'm working to be able to retire early and do what I want to do" path is fraught with delusion and heart attacks.

If you don't want to work, then don't. Simple. If you do want to work, but not in a shitty office, then don't. Simple. Get a 15-20 hour a week job at a McDonalds, and spend the rest of the time playing guitar. But realise once you do that; no family, limited social life, no feelings of accomplishment, etc.. etc..

It's not that you're trapped. It's that you don't want to give up the perks that working a 40hour week gives you. Dems the breaks.
    I tend to agree with this.

I have a very modest lifestyle when you come down to it.
    I don't spend money on much- but when I do I tend to make sure it is something that lasts or has a high residual so that I can sell it on and not lose much.

The main way to break free of the rat race is to get other people run the race for you.
    It is the old 'work smarter, not harder' argument.

• I am 68 still working because they keep sending me bills.  People who retired in previous times just got poorer and poorer or died of cold and neglect. Its never been that good for pensioners 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    tonyrath said:

I am 68 still working because they keep sending me bills.  People who retired in previous times just got poorer and poorer or died of cold and neglect. Its never been that good for pensioners 
    Most pensioners have never had it so good. The baby boomers stole all the wealth and pulled up the drawbridge. They had free education, affordable homes and index linked pensions and most live very well. They get free bus passes, TV licences, winter fuel allowances, prescriptions and so on. Yes there's poverty but that affects a great swathe of society.

I feel sorry for today's young people who've been royally shafted by the older generation.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom