Wah recommendations

What's Hot
Hello. First post.
Looking for a new wah. Currently have a Morley Bad Horsie 2, and whilst the optical sensor was good, its so temperamental now that I can't rely on it for gigging. I've aslo grown to dislike the delay when I take my foot off the pedal and can't find a good setting for this delay to make it less annoying.

So, what's out there that I should check out? Although I had the bad horsie, I'm not really a fan of extreme wah sounds, so vintage style would probably be ok. 
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2013
    CAE MC404 is the perfect wah for me. True bypass, two inductors, in built and variable boost. It's the classic crybaby format so toe down to switch it on/off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want a vintage sound and don't want anything extreme my first recommendation is probably the standard crybaby. It won't break the bank and is pretty much *the* wah sound.

Do you have any features you require? True bypass, adjustable voicing, switching style etc?
  • If you want a vintage sound and don't want anything extreme my first recommendation is probably the standard crybaby. It won't break the bank and is pretty much *the* wah sound.

Do you have any features you require? True bypass, adjustable voicing, switching style etc?
    I've had a standard crybaby in the past, but never really got on with it - tone loss, as well as some other issues. 
    I would prefer something that was true bypass (not essential though), with some sort of adjustable voicing, but I think I'd like to stay away from automatic switcing systems like the Morley.

• CAE MC404 is the perfect wah for me. True bypass, two inductors, in built and variable boost. It's the classic crybaby format so toe down to switch it on/off.

Checked out a few videos. Liking what I'm hearing. True bypass, adjustable, and not overly complicated.
    Thanks.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Hello. First post.
    Looking for a new wah. Currently have a Morley Bad Horsie 2, and whilst the optical sensor was good, its so temperamental now that I can't rely on it for gigging. I've aslo grown to dislike the delay when I take my foot off the pedal and can't find a good setting for this delay to make it less annoying.

If you want to buy a new pedal that's fine. But why don't you:

a. Get the Bad Horsie fixed? Normally they're extremely reliable (certainly a lot more than the pot on a conventional wah) so it can't be much. Bit of fluff in the orifice maybe?

b. Adjust the 'off' delay. It goes from zero to a few hundred milliseconds, so surely there's something in there that suits? I have mine just off zero, so it doesn't go off when I momentarily hit it while wahing, but is off pretty quick once I lift my foot off the pedal. Less of an issue than a manual switch anyway.

• martinw said:
    Hello. First post.

If you want to buy a new pedal that's fine. But why don't you:

a. Get the Bad Horsie fixed? Normally they're extremely reliable (certainly a lot more than the pot on a conventional wah) so it can't be much. Bit of fluff in the orifice maybe?

b. Adjust the 'off' delay. It goes from zero to a few hundred milliseconds, so surely there's something in there that suits? I have mine just off zero, so it doesn't go off when I momentarily hit it while wahing, but is off pretty quick once I lift my foot off the pedal. Less of an issue than a manual switch anyway.

The problem with the Morley is one of the LEDs that is part of the sensor circuitry. I could replace it, but since the problem is intermittent, I'm guessing that there may be a problem somewhere else in the circuit causing the LED to fail. 

The delay problem is one that cant be resolved. I want a long delay so that the wah does not go off whilst I want it on, but want a short delay so it switches off instantly. I worked round it for a while, but it annoys me too much now.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Weeping Demon I loves mine.

A crybaby.Vox for "classic" tones, a WD for (to me) more modern tones. A bunch of variables on it too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• martinw;100035" said:
    JolietJake said:

Hello. First post.Looking for a new wah. Currently have a Morley Bad Horsie 2, and whilst the optical sensor was good, its so temperamental now that I can't rely on it for gigging. I've aslo grown to dislike the delay when I take my foot off the pedal and can't find a good setting for this delay to make it less annoying. 

If you want to buy a new pedal that's fine. But why don't you:a. Get the Bad Horsie fixed? Normally they're extremely reliable (certainly a lot more than the pot on a conventional wah) so it can't be much. Bit of fluff in the orifice maybe? b. Adjust the 'off' delay. It goes from zero to a few hundred milliseconds, so surely there's something in there that suits? I have mine just off zero, so it doesn't go off when I momentarily hit it while wahing, but is off pretty quick once I lift my foot off the pedal. Less of an issue than a manual switch anyway.
    I'm with this man. I've heard they're super reliable, and a fix is likely to be cheap and easy. Intermittent could mean (as Martin said) fluff, or just a slightly dodgy connection somewhere.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Wilson Tenspot II..........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    BBE Ben Wah
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    The Ernie Ball one is great in use (but not adjustable, but just sounds good)
    Red ones are better. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If you want a vintage sound and don't want anything extreme my first recommendation is probably the standard crybaby. It won't break the bank and is pretty much *the* wah sound.

I've had a standard crybaby in the past, but never really got on with it - tone loss, as well as some other issues. 
    I would prefer something that was true bypass (not essential though), with some sort of adjustable voicing, but I think I'd like to stay away from automatic switcing systems like the Morley.

The new Fret King Wah? They say it's true bypass and is based on a vintage Vox wah. No adjustable voice, just classic wah sounds. 

(BTW I've just bought a Vox V845, which is about as basic as you can get, but I only use wah once in a while, so it's okay for my needs). 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    I have a CAE. It is like a much improved Cry Baby. 

I have also in the past had a Weeping Demon and they are very good for rocky stuff. Get the Jr though as the regular one is stupidly massive.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2013
    How much you willing to spend? 

Or you can buy a G-Lab touchplate and stick it to any wah you want 

Advantage of this is you can get stuck wah solo sounds by just touching the plate not the wah.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    monquixote said:. I have also in the past had a Weeping Demon and they are very good for rocky stuff. Get the Jr though as the regular one is stupidly massive.
    I'd say it's the best rock/heavy rock/metal wah around. Very tweakable too for different sounds - I've had a decent Hammett and a decent Hendrix sound from mine.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    TimmyO said:
    This, brilliantly sturdy but simple & great sounding Wah, I feel confident loading my 100+Kg and size11 foot on to mine day in, day out..
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited December 2013
    TimmyO said:
    this, in buckets, I haz one. Its bomb proof too
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Despite me currently using a Clyde deluxe. which is fantastic and quite adjustable I miss the ease of the weepin Demon, never got the chance to use the junior  the only reason I sold mine was the size of it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    Can anyone recommend one that sounds good on BOTH cleans (funky/quacky) and dirty sounds (Thin Lizzy/ Slash/ Hendrix). I've never found one that excelled at both.
  • Kebabkid;104886" said:
    Can anyone recommend one that sounds good on BOTH cleans (funky/quacky) and dirty sounds (Thin Lizzy/ Slash/ Hendrix). I've never found one that excelled at both.
    The zakk Wylde one, or the ibanez weeping demon is good. The 535q is great, as is the original.

Avoid the Tremonti wah, as it doesn't sound great clean.

Or... For clean, use an envelope filter, like a ehx qtron, which sounds miles cooler ;)