Wah recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Kebabkid said:
    Can anyone recommend one that sounds good on BOTH cleans (funky/quacky) and dirty sounds (Thin Lizzy/ Slash/ Hendrix). I've never found one that excelled at both.
    Weeping Demon, and adjust the settings to taste

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    Thanks guys and I've been through a bunch of wahs that just don't do it for me.
    Re:The Envelope Filter, good suggestion and that's why I mention the vintage MXR one so much as that's something that's on my wish list. Tried quite a few of those too and apart from the Guyatone Wah Rocker, I can't get the smooth quack that the MXR has -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid;105164" said:
    Thanks guys and I've been through a bunch of wahs that just don't do it for me.

Re:The Envelope Filter, good suggestion and that's why I mention the vintage MXR one so much as that's something that's on my wish list. Tried quite a few of those too and apart from the Guyatone Wah Rocker, I can't get the smooth quack that the MXR has -

I have an ehx qtron which I could be persuaded to part with as my style is more rawk than it was. If you're interested, pm me. Otherwise, they're fantastic and, in my opinion, the best of the envelope filters I've tried, with some awesome settings.

You can get some weird underwater synth sounds from it, if you pile on gain and run the envelope backwards on lo pass... Very cool.
    Thanks TPD but not for me - I've tried a lot of them, most recently the Carl Martin Optical Envelop Filter, and the MXR is the one. It's just a case of waiting for one to come up in the UK (loads in the US, but overpriced).
    Ta,
    KK
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited December 2013
    yeah yeah eee heee yeaaaahhh     

auto wah/env filter always reminds me of the solo on   Edie Brickell "what I am"  -   but it just isnt wah, it isnt "right"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Kebabkid;105363" said:
    Thanks TPD but not for me - I've tried a lot of them, most recently the Carl Martin Optical Envelop Filter, and the MXR is the one. It's just a case of waiting for one to come up in the UK (loads in the US, but overpriced).

Ta,

KK
    Dass cool. I never tried that one!

Hope you find one, I didn't realise it existed until today...
    Love the sound on Edie Brickell's "What I am" and also on Odyssey's "Back to my roots"
  • I have 2 on my board.
    A Vox (does not have a buffer) at the beginning of the chain and a cry baby (with buffer) at the end.
    The Vox I modified a little changing the Q and thegain to give it a more vocal like quality.
    Sometimes you need wah before your gain structure sometimes afterwards.
  • Well, Santa's been and left me a Custom Audio Electronics MC404 and I have to say I'm completely blown away by the quality of the sound straight out of the box. Not even tried chaning the inductor or boost or the stuff  inside yet. Better than any wah I've used in the past. Going to have some fun with this one. Thanks for all the information/help. 
  • Nice one /\ I love mine (hence I recommend it to anyone who asks "what wah?"

Enjoy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom