Gordon Smith and Richard's Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• I love a fancy flame top.

I also love a pretty red tele, black strat of yellow lp jnr, a pastel coloured offset.

Actually, there are very, very few guitars I don't like. I think prs guitars suit a posh top, but I find Les Paul guitars really suit a plain top or solid colours, especially black. But I wouldn't say I don't like a yawn-burst finish on a quilted top on a lp. Nor would I hate the blue sparkle strat.

Just donate any unwanted guitars my way, basically. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm 41 and am remain wholly averse to quilted tops etc. 

I'm not saying guitars should be like violins - pretty much one look and that's that - but I suspect most people prefer a quirky or 'authentic' aesthetic over the luxury look. Relics (hence the parenthesis on authentic), offsets, that kind of thing.

Seems odd that a budding company would market towards the flame madagascan monkeywood crowd, unless you've identified a price point that tallies with luxury goods. I dunno. 
    I hate fancy-pants guitars - I very much prefer oiled and stained finishes which let the underlying wood show through naturally.

I honestly can't see that ever changing because fancy-finished guitars (in my opinion) tend to look worse when they've been gigged and battered around for a few years, whereas oiled/stained guitars actually get more awesome with war wounds.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    I like superstrats :(

I like most guitars

I don't play world of warcraft (I play plenty of other computer games, though)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    Since I was 19, I have always preferred guitars with wood showing, preferably pretty wood
    Recently I've been able to buy prettier ones, sometimes so cheaply when used that I wonder if people are ignoring these and paying extra for the plainer painted ones that frequently look like car paint colours to me

I have no understanding why would anyone prefer plain flat colours to seeing the actual wood, whether stained, oiled, or sunbursted
  • I like chips without the crust.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    digitalscream;111171" said:
    fancy-finished guitars (in my opinion) tend to look worse when they've been gigged and battered around for a few years, whereas oiled/stained guitars actually get more awesome with war wounds.
    This - have a wisdom
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I like superstrats :(

I like most guitars

I don't play world of warcraft (I play plenty of other computer games, though)
    There's nothing wrong with them!

Just, you know, don't really capture the imagination, and I think that's what would help a new UK manufacturer make a breakthrough.

Or maybe not, maybe superstrats and straight copies of gibsons is the only way. 
    I dunno :)) I know I like them but I'm also well aware I'm probably strange :))
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I would have a so cal in blue if it weren't for the floyd rose. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Since I was 19, I have always preferred guitars with wood showing, preferably pretty wood
    Recently I've been able to buy prettier ones, sometimes so cheaply when used that I wonder if people are ignoring these and paying extra for the plainer painted ones that frequently look like car paint colours to me

I have no understanding why would anyone prefer plain flat colours to seeing the actual wood, whether stained, oiled, or sunbursted
    Agreed.  I have this cynical nature that makes me think a flat colour guitar is there to cover up some nasty wood - otherwise they'd show it off, right?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    edited December 2013
    Agreed.  I like to see the wood, and always wonder what evils are hidden below flat finishes
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Dave_Mc said:
    I would have a so cal in blue if it weren't for the floyd rose. 
    Haha I like floyds. I also like wilkinsons and the like, too.

Really I hardly ever use them in my own playing, I just kinda miss them if they're not there (on a superstrat).
  • Those of you who are interested in UK built instruments should check out ACG. I think he mainly concentrates on basses these days but he makes some beautiful instruments (although probably not to everyone's taste) which are actually very reasonably priced.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    (In case Richard's keeping an eye on this thread - IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE, man! This day will always hold extra special memories for alumni of the regentguitars forum. Thanks for that. :) Have a great Christmas!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Those of you who are interested in UK built instruments should check out ACG. I think he mainly concentrates on basses these days but he makes some beautiful instruments (although probably not to everyone's taste) which are actually very reasonably priced.

They do seem pretty nice and good value, thanks for the heads up. I think I saw wez posted in another thread saying he was a good guy, too.
  • EdGrip;113607" said:
    (In case Richard's keeping an eye on this thread - IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE, man! This day will always hold extra special memories for alumni of the regentguitars forum. Thanks for that. :) Have a great Christmas!)
    I think you'll find that's Christams...!!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • timmysoft said:
    I've not read the whole thread, just the initial post and the link it refers to.

I've owned 5 Gordon Smith guitars, they've all been decent (aside from the horrible stock pickups). I've always looked at them as a stripped down, basic guitar, i'm not into fancy flames and quilts, so i only ever owned GS1s, GS1.5's and GS2's. All i can say is the basic models have always been very good, solid workhorses. 
    I've seen the pictures and yes, that guitar looks like it has a truly horrible finish, but a dealer and a supplier should have a far better relationship and be able to work through the issues to get things sorted. Richard doesnt have an exactly golden record himself, so i bet there is a lot more to the story than has been said.
    Ah ha!!! I trawled through to find the cynic!! Oh I am sorry... so my style.  I always know the law of averages will kick in over 8 pages!

Indeed, you would think the dealer and builder could work through such problems - thats why I have stuck with them for SO long!

I LOVE the guitars - You are missing the point.  I LOVE the guitars and who knows what the future will bring but the reality is the brand NEEDS to sell direct.  To provide themself with the margin they need to maintain quality.

If you were them and you had to build a guitar for a dealer, reducing your margin dramatically - and you made a mistake - you simply couldn't afford to remedy the problem.  It is that simple!  Pure economics.

I don't hold any grudges - of course I don't like the way they treated me but I am a big boy and I can handle that - Sure I would have liked them to appreciate me but again plenty of counciling over the years has taught me that you cannot go looking for appreciation - you cannot change people, you can only change yourself and do the right thing by yourself.  If you are can sleep easy at night thats the best you can do.  Whether other people appreciate that is out of your hands.

Approximately 4 years ago I had a Gordon-Smith Guitar stripped and hand painted in a Star Wars design by Tom at Inky Hollow...

http://www.inkyhollow.co.uk/guitars/item/104-star-wars-guitar

Why did I choose this guitar?  Because the finish on it was utterly APPAULING.  Me and Tom chatted about the idea of painting a guitar and I said to him "well this black GS is unsellable and it would be great to join my 2 loves of my life - GS and Star Wars" - thats how it all started.

I KEPT the guitar and am staring at it right now in my lounge.

So that was about 4 years ago.

2 years ago I threw my dummy out the pram because I received repeated problem guitars with wood shavings falling out of jack sockets!!  I CLOSED my account.

However... rather than be beaten I contacted John, reminded him of my love of the product and said I wanted to give it another go.  I travelled to his workshop and spent a day with him and his wife and took a professional photographer with me too.  We got some great pics.

Things seemed to significantly improve from then and I thought we had an understanding but over the past year or so its just got worse again.  Very long delays to orders, no schedules so never knowing what is going to turn up when and then arguements over payments because I am not able to sell a guitar that I feel is defective.  I won't pull the wool over the eyes of my customers - for anyone and that is what I was being asked to do by GS - and regrettably I did actually do this on a couple of occasions.  It made me feel bad and I think possibly the 3rd time I did it the customer returned the guitars - for me that was the end of the line.

Following this "drama" over a Gemini that I still have in my shop (shown in the pics) GS said they would only send guitars to me if I paid up front - to avoid the issues of getting their money.

I said no way - I offered 7 days - enough to give me a chance to QC the guitars and set them up for our customers.

They said no.

End of story.

Hope that helps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Apologies - that story was trying to demontsrate that indeed I did all I could to keep working with GS on the basis that I do love the concept of quirky British built guitars - I have championed them for about 15 years and when I re-opened as Richards Guitars all I wanted to do was sell their guitars.

I would do anything to continue working with them even though economically it would always be a labor of love (well, love hate!)

• monofin said:
    A bit late to the party but I do wonder about Richard's motivation. It's one thing announcing that he's no longer selling GS guitars but there's a lot of potentially damaging bad mouthing in that announcement. I too would like to hear GS's side of the story and wonder what their solicitor makes of the announcement.
    My motivation was to clearly demonstrate using pictures why it is impossible for me to maintain my personal high standards in quality control if the manufacturer want payment in advance (as they do insist of course when selling to an end user).

The whole point of my business is total transparency and heart felt comments - warts and all. 

Perhaps if you looked at some of these blogs it would help you understand my motives on a daily basis...

http://www.rguitars.co.uk/blogs/customer-saves

http://www.rguitars.co.uk/blogs/the-mindful-guitarist

This ethos and attention to detail results in these testimonials...

http://www.rguitars.co.uk/pages/richards-guitars-review

As for solicitors - give me a break!  Are you suggesting I photoshopped the pics?!  lol  They KNOW what they stand for and nothing I have said actually changes anything.  They know their place in the market and its a warts and all approach.  They are designed to be great value but as a retailer I have to balance MY customers expectation (which yes, do tend to be more discerning than some) with what GS want to produce and what is acceptable to them.    It isn't a legal matter and nobody is "bad mouthing" anyone.
  • EdGrip;113607" said:

EdGrip;113607" said:

Ahh those were the days!

Its sad but I LOVED Father Christmas visiting the forum but I remember one year specifically there was some real negativity over the presents.  For the life of me I cannot remember what it was really about now.  Maybe people moaning that they hadn't got anything or the game wan't fair or something but I remember feeling really deflated - typically me being oversensitive as always.

It was a great era and have many fond memories of many aspects of my life in the guitar world - the forum being one of them.
This discussion has been closed.