Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show your Bicycles.....

What's Hot

Comments

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Cycle to work also has a £1k limit....

i did did see the 720 on the website but it's not in any offers...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    It's in store only, not online, so might be worth checking out your local one
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Eastway Emitter R3 @ wiggle. Shimano 105. 7.8kg. 

£935
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    Niallmo said:
    It does but can you add the difference yourself to buy anything beyond that. 
    Benson said:
    Niallmo said:
    Really? I did not know that. Oh dear....

still ive found an 8.65 kg Cube Atain SL with full 105 for £799.
    edited September 2016
    Niallmo said:
    Benson said:
    Niallmo said:
    I've used the scheme twice and both times spent slightly over the limit, the companies selling the bikes were ambivalent to it, I suspect there is something in the small print that says it's naughty. I like being naughty though :D
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Anyone got any selling advice price wise for second hand bikes?

Is it half plus a bit? Obviously it's what someone's gonna be willing to pay, but I don't wanna get ripped off or advertise way off budget.

Im looking to get rid of mine-it's done less than 30 miles, probably less than 20.

I can't see any prices for my particular model on eBay or gumtree, it's a one speed Brompton.

Ta.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• @lloyd there won't be a set rule on prices, it'll depend on how good the bike really is. Some bikes upward of £1000 will probably only lose about 20-30% of their value if kept in great condition. Whereas a £500 bike is likely to lose 50% of its value.

Best thing to do is find a local cycling group on Facebook and ask a few people there what it's worth. Then post it on Bike Radar or Pink Bike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @lloyd Bromptons are really their own thing and are quite fashionable. I think they're about£800 new, if it's literally as good as new you might get £550-600 for it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Cheers guys, yeah it's £800 new-I've looked on some other forums and the consensus is that cheap second hand don't come up that often as they're good bikes.

The bike has literally taken me to work (about a mile) for a couple weeks and rehearsals in good weather.

Ive just stopped riding it because I've moved house-not further from work but would be a pain in the arse road wise and they drive like mentalists here.

Ill give it a wipe down and take some pics and mooch on FB.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Niallmo said:
    Benson said:
    Niallmo said:

still ive found an 8.65 kg Cube Atain SL with full 105 for £799.
    The Cube is nice bike, and the 105 groupset is great, good value and works well.
    Is it 10 speed or 11?

I had what is likely to be my last outing for the year on the Canyon. The roads were very muddy and the bike (and me) needed a good clean when i got home. I've it all cleaned and oiled now so that's it in storage for the winter.

The B'Twin has mudguards fitted so I should still be able to get out a fair bit.
    I wish it had a double rather than a triple crankset though, the triple is annoying but I can't be bothered with the expense of changing it.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5064
    edited July 2017
    Image may contain bicycle and outdoor

Image may contain outdoor

Image may contain plant and outdoor

Got 105 brakeset on now, and SL SPD's. Hoping for Aksium wheels for Christmas! Ha, fat chance

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    I've found something really good but it's just over the limit. Cube attain GTC race. Carbon, Ultegra, Mavic Aksium Elite wheels. 8.03kg! 
    I am thinking about a Cyclocross/adventure bike at around 10kg but I'm thinking more of putting widest tyres I can get on my Carrera instead.

my commute is going down from 15 miles to 9 miles but it's a bit hillier. May be able to do it more often though. I'm thinking that fast and light is good as it's all road.
    All of the newer 105 stuff is 11-speed. General consensus is that it's not much different to Ultegra these days and a significant step up from say 5 years ago. 

I will I'll be getting carbon 105 SPD-SL.
    This is my latest acquisition. Circa 1976 Triumph Trafficmaster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/D53FFBF6-8708-4D2A-A6DF-C1761CC43171_zpsheir1p2l.jpg

I have some some new white walls for it. I might get to actually ride it one day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/645427DD-B567-4655-AAFF-1C8D0A356C73_zpsuybt3lxl.jpg

Pic makes it look a bit bit worse than it is...

its basically a rebadged Raleigh Twenty Stowaway. 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub. It fits in my boot.
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Niallmo said:
    I've found something really good but it's just over the limit. Cube attain GTC race. Carbon, Ultegra, Mavic Aksium Elite wheels. 8.03kg! 

Cube are nice but just be aware that they generally size up small compared to other brands.

For what my opinion's worth I wouldn't get too hung up on weight. I'd much rather get something slightly heavier that has a more appropriate geo for you. You can normally save a whole bunch of weight by replacing the wheels and tyres once you've bought your bike anyway....
    edited October 2016
    Agreed, it always makes me chuckle to hear people in my cycling club getting hot under the collar about bike and component weights when the easiest, and cheapest, gains to be made (or lost) are around their midrift D
    I'm near optimum in weight, not a lot left to lose. As long as it's under about 9 kg I'm pretty easy but it's finding a carbon one with 105 rather than Tiagra. Some light alloy ones out there too. 105 tends to have it 8.5-ish. I'd love an opportunity to get to a big bike shop and try a few out but time is against me. I think a 53/54 cm is correct for most and a 56 for Cube. 

It it has to be a decent upgrade over my Carrera which is 10.5-11kg with upgraded 105 rear derailleur. I did think about just going all 105 on it but it'd cost £100 just for second hand Brifters so I could use a 10/11speed cassette.  
    edited October 2016
    Still a few 2015 bikes around with the older 10 speed fitted.

You'll struggle to get a bike under 8kg with 105 fitted.

The Attain GTC race sounds good although 8kg isn't featherweight for Ultegra.

I'm in a similar position where I've got close to an ideal weight (certainly wouldn't want to lose more than another 5 lbs). My winter bike is around 12-13kg compared to 7 for my summer one.

I did chuckle at what Boardman are suggesting as a winter training bike: carbon frame, full Ultegra Di2, £2500! The last thing I'd want to be riding on a cold, potentially icy, winter's day is two and a half grand of carbon!