WHY, WHY, WHY????

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
edited August 2013 in Amps
Why?

Why after two years of flogging all my effects set up, and my amp, getting a custom amp built for me and putting together a much more meaty board am I now looking and thinking "I'm gonna flog all these and replace...."? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 182
    Been there done that many times. Its not big and its not clever ;-)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    it's the circle of GAS ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    It's painful to watch myself do it......AGAIN!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    Delilah ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aye, except I can hardly imagine the line "she stood there laughing" in my house if I go through with all this. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26797
    Totally with you. I spent a small fortune on my Eleven Rack rig - experimenting with cabs, FRFR, various power amps, spent months getting my patches just right...then one night my power amp packed up, so I took my Jet City amp to rehearsal instead - just guitar -> amp, and it sounded so much better (instantly) that I put the whole modelling rig up for sale the next day.

The wasted investment (in terms of time and money) in favour of an amp that had been sitting in the corner the whole time depresses me every time I think about it...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    At least it's fixed now right? Never want any more gear again yeah?

:-\"
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Ah the Gas is a cruel mistress! :)

I once flogged a CS Esquire in a moment of 'GAS Panic' only to buy it back 6 months later.....

.....then flogged it again!! Perhaps I should Face/Palm myself on this one?! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    I tried to do that to myself, wouldn't allow it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    Totally with you. I spent a small fortune on my Eleven Rack rig - experimenting with cabs, FRFR, various power amps, spent months getting my patches just right...then one night my power amp packed up, so I took my Jet City amp to rehearsal instead - just guitar -> amp, and it sounded so much better (instantly) that I put the whole modelling rig up for sale the next day.

The wasted investment (in terms of time and money) in favour of an amp that had been sitting in the corner the whole time depresses me every time I think about it...
    I feel the same way about most of the multi-FX and guitar synth stuff I've lost a fortune on over the years.

I had something similar happen ages ago - the footswitch cable for my carefully-programmed multi-FX setup broke before a Sunday afternoon gig when I couldn't go to the shops to buy another one or parts to fix it, so I did the gig with three Boss pedals. I haven't used a multi-FX live since...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I once bought a Digitech RP20 from Mannys in New York. I was 15 at the time and didn't see any issue in voltages, had a gig the next week and I absolutely had to have a 12 string effect.  

The Gibson Les Paul Standard at the same price would've been a better buy I reckon as I sold the effects unit for £80 two years later (it only ever made that one gig). 
  • I flogged my CS nocaster in a moment of madness and have never played anything near to its equal since. My pal I bought it from has a shop and he still maintains it was probably the best tele he's ever played/heard.
    I will track it down and buy it back though ;)  (Optimism)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Sold my mint 1971 Les Paul Deluxe goldtop in a pub car park for £250 cash in 1983. Bloke seemed keen. I was saving for a Strat at the time. Ended up buying a Jap one with a locking trem. 

I can laugh now. But it's taken 30 years.

• vizviz Frets: 10736
    frankus said:
    it's the circle of GAS ;)

A gas ring.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    JohnPerry said:
    Sold my mint 1971 Les Paul Deluxe goldtop in a pub car park for £250 cash in 1983. Bloke seemed keen. I was saving for a Strat at the time. Ended up buying a Jap one with a locking trem. 

I can laugh now. But it's taken 30 years.
    I can beat that. I sold a 1957 Les Paul Special (yes really, all-original except for repaired headstock crack) for £1250 in 1992 and used the money to buy some recording equipment, which less than ten years later was worth precisely nothing. I still can't laugh about it and I doubt I ever will, but I'll never do anything like that again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    I sold three early 60s Vox AC30s in 1999/2000 for £325 each. I don't know what I spent the money on tbh... It was a bloody stupid move.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    edited August 2013
    Been there done that. But rather than selling and buying now i'm just hoarding and building more amps  & pedals. Luckily i'm moving into a house that will have 3 spare rooms so there will be plenty of space for a guitar room/home studio & a workshop. I imagine the other room will be a wardrobe for the missus/spare bedroom.

What are you lusting after now Deijavoo?
    I'm not even lusting after anything in particular. I just spend too much time on the internet.

One minute a second hand Fender Twin, next a Diezel Herbert, then a second BLO on top of mine but totally different. 

Truth is, I have zero cash so sell = new, plus I was offered a mates rates deal on a Williams guitar, and I think I went overboard on my effects board, start looking at G System....

Then I think "too much internet". 
  • Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    Deijavoo said:
    I'm not even lusting after anything in particular. I just spend too much time on the internet.

One minute a second hand Fender Twin, next a Diezel Herbert, then a second BLO on top of mine but totally different. 

Truth is, I have zero cash so sell = new, plus I was offered a mates rates deal on a Williams guitar, and I think I went overboard on my effects board, start looking at G System....

Then I think "too much internet". 
    I got sick of pedals a good while back and went with the original G major and a nice simple 4 button midi footswitch, It's kinda great having it all set up and switching the amp channels and fx at once but i underuse it tbh and have though about selling it on a few times.

I do think you would make fantastic use of something like the G system though from recordings that you have sent me.

Once i've got moved i'll have the mkIIc+ built very quickly so you'll have to come give it a go next time you are down this way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Been there. Bought all the shit, and now I just plug the guitar into an amp. The only pedal I use on very few occasions is a chorus. Which may explain why I sound rubbish, but it's sooo much easier.