Help - make my squier affinity pretty!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    LOL - now try one that's in focus and a closer shot of the bridge.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol - there it is -still not very clear - would you like a closer one of the bridge?
    Lol - there it is -still not very clear - would you like a closer one of the bridge?
    Can you confirm how the strings ball ends anchor in there? Are they through the body or under the saddle? 

If you don't have any holes in the back of the guitar like this........

It's under the saddle.
  • No the strings go into the back of the bridge then underneath and through the saddle 

As soon as I've got the kids to bed I'll get you a picture
    No the strings go into the back of the bridge then underneath and through the saddle 

As soon as I've got the kids to bed I'll get you a picture
    Cool.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Alnico said:
    @ICBM zoom in and it looks like it's NOT a string through...........

You can see the ball ends just below the saddle and the spec says it's a toploader bridge.
    It looks like the same anchor method that the old 'Kahler Flyer' tremolo used to use - twist to fit and twist back to anchor.

I could still be wrong but have a closer look.
    How bizarre. As if there weren't already enough non-compatible variations of Tele bridges…!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2016
    I have wondered for a while if the Different fittings and body thickness etc of the Affinity series is partly to separate it from the others, sort of on purpose.

I can't stop looking at that blue one above - £159 !!!

I also can't afford it but with a set up and pickups...............

That's a great looking guitar to start with and if it's done by a proper tech, that could easily be epic for sub mexican money.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 275
    I've got an Affinity Tele that i've modded quite a bit. Biggest change was putting in some Nocaster pickups and better pots/switch. I got the pickups for a bargain price otherwise i don't think i would have bothered, but i'm glad i did. 

Then i got some brass compensated barrels and just drilled the standard bridge plate to accomodate them. It did improve the tone but i couldn't intonate it properly because the threads on the bolts weren't long enough. So then i pickud up a Wilkinson bridge and fitted that, look's much better, it's intonated  now and it's a really nice playing and sounding guitar. 

Yes, i could have just bought a Classic Vibe but this owes me next to nothing and it's been fun. Plus it sound's great and i play it more than any of my others. 
  • I brought a Baja today for £375. Just need to set it up. 

Now working on the affinity is less of a priority - but also I can take my time and take a risk or two as the Baja, Danelectro and Gretsch are all in front of it....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done man.

Get the frets done it will transform it and even off the shelf they are not level, mine was 'S' shaped along the neck's length.