Aaaargh

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited March 2016
    OK here were the Adams + iso pads for comparison (Genelec pic below to show the stark difference in size)!!

IMG_20160227_205105
    IMG_0423

The Genelecs are small enough to go behind the screen when not in use so the cats are unlikely to knock them over. 

Best purchase in a long time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    Just one small point which may well make a significant difference - get those speakers up so the tweeters are at ear-level and a bit wider than either side of your monitor. It'll make a big difference.
    <space for hire>
    Might have to get a stand for them - I did read about that. Thanks!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Just put one on each hand and hold them out at arms length.  ;))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome, thanks for that! :)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Tom,

I had a toneport, get rid, they are a bit shit.

Get a Focusrite 212 or a Komplete Audio 6, you'll not look back
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4197
    If you use the headphone output on the Toneport ! Is one channel still louder than the other ?, and have you got the latest drivers
    @sweepy it's sorted now.
    Once the album's done I'll get a new interface and emulation software. Too involved now
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited March 2016
    Snap;998470" said:
    Tom,

I had a toneport, get rid, they are a bit shit.

Get a Focusrite 212 or a Komplete Audio 6, you'll not look back
    Get a 2i4 - no pads on the 2i2. You need a pad to track a hot instrument DI on the Focusrite Scarletts, there isn't enough headroom without IME. I've got a 2i4 and and 18i20. The 2i4 has a little less headroom than the 18i20 but it seems about enough with the pad.

An external DI box would sound nicer though. I've got a couple, the Orchid electronics one is nice for the price.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Budget restrictions are always a bit of a bugger, we'd all like top end interfaces, monitors and control surfaces, you are doing it the right way. It's better to learn your software and get good results from basic gear, then you can actually work out what does work and what doesn't . This time next year you'll be on the slippery slope with multiple input interface, more Mics than you remember and enough cabling to ring the M25 ;)
    Trying not to go overboard like I did with my guitars :)
    Good luck with that ;)
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2188
    octatonic;997312" said:
    thomasross20 said:

FYI I thought the Adams A3X were great in the shop but stuffed into my room corner they were no good. Very boomy.

The Genelecs are sounding great. I'm not sure if they have some circuitry to adapt to the room. The switches are good enough - I put a 4dB bass cut in which really stopped the mud (not that there was much). 

They do not have circuitry like this.Speaker choice is highly individual and yes different speakers work in different rooms.

That said, I wouldn't try too mix and album without any acoustic treatment and in a corner.You are making it much harder on yourself.I have 8 large acoustic panels in my 20x18 mix room, plus corner traps.Even then I am fighting with sub-optimal acoustics.

Mine do ;)

The Auto Cal system is great. As is GLM.

Again, and crucially, my mix room is also treated properly. I still want to get a soffit or two for the back corners but that's another £1000 down the line yet. I've got GIK stuff throughout. A mix of Monsters and 242(?)s

I recommend their stuff highly.

AutoCal takes an already good room and just adds that extra 10%. I mix with confidence nowadays. Always translates well. My corrective graphs are also pretty good in terms of how the room is measured by the system. The DSP isn't having to work too hard in my room.

Apparently it can work wonders on an untreated room.

The imaging is unbelievably good on my 8240a's as it also corrects for minor time domain placement issues, so it'll happily delay one side by milliseconds if it needs to to correct that kind of thing. What's cool is that you can A/B between the AutoCal response and the standard unoptimised response. It's not night and day for my situation, but it does definitely improve things. In my room it just makes a few adjustments in the lower mids, and just smoothes everything slightly. I definitely prefer the optimised setting.

I treated the room first. Then upgraded my monitors. I've used Genelecs pretty much throughout my career thus far. I enjoy their fast and hard nature. They sound very urgent to me, not lazy like some others can sound. Incredibly detailed and I actually don't suffer from fatigue with them. Basically if it sounds "right" on my Gennies, it'll sound good pretty much anywhere. Obviously working on them daily helps a lot too.

The ones in the OP look tiny (not being offensive)! Very cool! I might get a pair for general listening or plugging an iPod into or something rather than having some consumer grade dock nonsense that sounds pony.

Enjoy, man. But also, as has already been said, a corner is the worst place to place speakers. And room treatment, if you want to mix properly is more important than the monitors in it.

Cannot stress that enough. A good/treated room is absolutely crucial.

You can't mix what you can't hear...

:)
    Wow, pics of your room? :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7796
    thomasross20;998628" said:
    Stay blissfully unaware of mics as long as possible... and absolutely do not google the gear used on your favourite recordings. You are entering a world of pain when phrases like these enter your brain "tele251" 1073, "1176" & "U67"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2188
    Yeah. That. You thought guitars and amps were expensive... Welcome to the world where paying £10k upwards for a microphone is not uncommon...

Scary money involved.

Having said that, the SSL 4032 console I used to work on was bought for £19k. Sold for £26k.

So sometimes if you invest in the right pieces they appreciate quite often.

And to be fair £26k for a 4032 isn't too dear. It's less than £1k per channel strip. And you get the bus compressor.