Aaaargh

What's Hot
Finally got my Genelec 8010s which are GREAT....

However!! One speaker is louder than the other! 
But wait! 
If I swap the cables around on my Toneport, the other speaker is now louder! So it must be something to do with the Toneport.
See here:

If I bring the volume down very low, one speaker will still play but the other has nothing coming out. It's noticeable - very annoying! I'm just going to have to roll with it for a little while because I just dumped £400 on these (admittedly great - and so compact!) monitors and I'd rather not change my interface (doubles up as soundcard) and also have to buy new guitar emulation software. 

This really sucks!! :(

These little Genelecs are great, though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Right!!!!!

If I put the volume down on the application (YouTube, Tracktion, whatever) and then crank the volume pot on the device, things get MUCH better. I can definitely work with it now but that's annoying!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1273
    Are the preset switches on the back of the Genelecs both set the same?
    The switches are the same - it's a Toneport issue. But I've sort of got round it...

I tell you, this is money WELL SPENT. Already I can hear little mistakes I've made and how some sounds are a bit naff. 
    Some tunes were done yonks ago with the masters lost - a little too much chorus on some guitars (in fact I'd totally try and use a different emulator) but it's "good enough" and will do. At least I can tune everything else now. 

Man, I thought I could get by doing this on headphones but I was SO wrong.....
  • Yes I remember that issue on mine. The solution was as you've found - compensate elsewhere.

Good to hear you're liking your new monitors. Are you planning to do any acoustic treatment in the room?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    The problem with good monitoring is you can hear how crap your other gear is.
    I mean this generically- not just for you- when I got my Dynaudios I then had up upgrade my audio interface.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, I need a new interface. AFTER this album!

It's REALLY unfortunate that older tracks (whose master files I've lost... and I've a day-job and just want to get this out so no re-recording!) have too much chorus or whatever but it is what it is. It's just helped me notice some off-timing in drums, and how the kick sounds pants in one song. 

No room treatment. I've sinned - I'm in the corner of a room! It is what it is for now. The Genelecs have buttons to help compensate (desktop, bass cut etc). 

Check out my blog post:

Alternatively:

IMG_0423
    IMG_0422

I'm REALLY happy with the Genelecs. No need for iso pads (built-in), nice controls, small, light.... sure the bigger ones would sound better but for the room I have, these are perfect and sound GREAT!!
    Yes I remember that issue on mine. The solution was as you've found - compensate elsewhere.

Good to hear you're liking your new monitors. Are you planning to do any acoustic treatment in the room?
    Glad there was a solution !!!

Oh man, I'm going to have to go back to these bloody tracks and do big-time editing now. I'm happy and sad lol.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28940
    There's a lesson here.

Don't use chorus.

Ever.

No, really.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    :D 

It is what it is now. But this has been an eye-opener. Big-time. 

--> Bloody gutted though as some parts in older tunes (only a few!) are slightly off... I might have to cuts bits here and there - they're quite long, anyway!

I can't emphasise just how much I am LOVING these monitors and what they're showing up. It's unbelievable!! Honestly, some of the best money I've ever spent! At first I was worried as these aren't the famous 8030s which are a lot bigger but it's a small room so I think they're well-suited and honestly, the sound is fantastic. There's definitely enough bass! They're definitely a professional bit of kit (for ~£400 for the pair, you'd expect so!)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Dude...they look good !

Thats what I call a micro studio...;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • You really would gain a huge amount setting the room up, and doing basic room treatment.

I honestly think there's more mileage in the room setup and treatment than the interface, much as upgrading that too would help.
    You really would gain a huge amount setting the room up, and doing basic room treatment.

I honestly think there's more mileage in the room setup and treatment than the interface, much as upgrading that too would help.
    Hand on heart I totally agree with you but... I don't have a spare room. Short of buying a house with a spare room I'll have to make do for now. However I do completely agree with you! Honest!
    Now the only thing I'm wondering... will the cats knock these over!!
    FYI I thought the Adams A3X were great in the shop but stuffed into my room corner they were no good. Very boomy.

The Genelecs are sounding great. I'm not sure if they have some circuitry to adapt to the room. The switches are good enough - I put a 4dB bass cut in which really stopped the mud (not that there was much). 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    FYI I thought the Adams A3X were great in the shop but stuffed into my room corner they were no good. Very boomy.

The Genelecs are sounding great. I'm not sure if they have some circuitry to adapt to the room. The switches are good enough - I put a 4dB bass cut in which really stopped the mud (not that there was much). 
    They do not have circuitry like this.
    Speaker choice is highly individual and yes different speakers work in different rooms.

That said, I wouldn't try too mix and album without any acoustic treatment and in a corner.
    You are making it much harder on yourself.
    I have 8 large acoustic panels in my 20x18 mix room, plus corner traps.
    Even then I am fighting with sub-optimal acoustics.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All I can do is do my best using the monitors, headphones, and all other sources at my disposal. 

Honestly though, these things have just justified themselves in the last 30 mins alone - the number of little gotchas I've missed on some tracks - invaluable! 
    I wonder if I'll have the same reaction when I get a "real valve amp" lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496

Chorus is back in these days, have you heard the 1974, they drown everything in that shit!

Glad you like the monitors Thomas. Be careful though, I started with a Portastudio, then got a PC Daw, Then Protools TDM, then built a small home studio ..... then spent 140K on a 3200 Sqt one... That shits addictive !! :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jesus! Lol!!

I'll post a pic later tonight of the Adams I originally had for comparison. You'll see why I much prefer the genelecs.
  • Are you sure both your ears the same size?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom