What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    edited May 2016
    Day 64

CD#282 Blondie - Parallel Lines

Still my favourite, wonderful stuff.

CD#283 Beth Orton - Central Reservation

I wasn't sure about this the first time I listened to it and haven't picked it up since, but this time I'm really enjoying it.

CD#284 Blur - Parklife

Mostly great, and it has my favourite Blur song (End Of A Century) on it. 

CD#285 Pixies - Wave Of Mutilation (Best Of)

This is my second listen to this (picked up on a whim from Exmouth Market) and I'm not any more impressed than I was first time.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    edited May 2016
    Paul_C said:
    CD#283 Beth Orton - Central Reservation

I wasn't sure about this the first time I listened to it and haven't picked it up since, but this time I'm really enjoying it.
    This is an odd one since it contains my favourite song of hers (Stolen Car) but is otherwise the album I like least - there's a lot on it I really don't like much, her voice is either too high in the mix or something, but it really grates in places. It was the first of hers I got and it nearly put me off trying the rest.

Paul_C said:
    CD#282 Blondie - Parallel Lines

Still my favourite, wonderful stuff.
    I actually very slightly prefer Eat To The Beat, but they're both absolute classics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2016
    Day 65

CD#286 Jonatha Brooke - Ten Cent Wings

Whilst discovering a new band or solo artist at a point where they've already released lots of albums is great, it's all too easy to not give every album the time you would if it was the only new thing you have. With Jonatha I've more than once picked up the Live In New York album to listen to again instead of one of the albums that it takes songs from, partly because it's such a great album to listen to (I do the same with Juliet Turner's live album). This means that albums like this don't get listened to as often as they should, which is something I'll have to remember. 

CD#287 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk

The first RHCP album with the "classic" line up of Kiedis, Flea, Frusciante and Ferrell. 

CD#288 Buckcherry - Time Bomb

This is their second album and the last with the original line-up, apparently. It's very shouty.

CD#289 Gene - Revelations

All the way back on Day 6 I said that I only have one Gene album, but I was wrong, I have two

60% done, I'm 20 away from 2/3 of the total :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23595
    Paul_C said:

CD#287 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk

The first RHCP album with the "classic" line up of Kiedis, Flea, Frusciante and Ferrell. 

I had to think really hard about that.  But you're right.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10772
    Lez zep 2, meddle, animals and parallel lines. We are on 7. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I was wondering if the cowbell would make an appearance.  >:D<
    edited May 2016
    Day 66

CD#290 R.E.M. - Fables Of The Reconstruction/Reconstruction Of The Fables

Recorded in London, full of songs about the southern US.

CD#291 Bob Marley & The Wailers - Babylon By Bus

An excellent live double album from 1978.

CD#292 The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse

Their biggest seller, songs by Bob's lad Jakob, guest appearances from a number of people I like, including Mike Campbell, Adam Duritz and Sam Phillips.

CD#293 Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

Magnificent.

CD#294 Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights

Much to my surprise, wiki says this album was produced by Joe Boyd, who was also responsible for the first album of the day, Fables Of The Reconstruction.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I know that the band expressed disappointment with Fables, but I think there's some real gems on that album.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    wiki suggests that while they may have considered it poor in the past it's now looked upon fondly by Stipe and Buck.
    edited May 2016
    Day 67

CD#295 Stiff Little Fingers - Get A Life

One of my favourite memories of SLF was seeing them live sometime around 1982. There were lots of calls from the audience for them to play Suspect Device and finally Jake Burns addressed this, explaining that they'd moved so far away from the time that encouraged the writing of the song that they no longer felt able to play it. Once this was done they started playing it, and it took 3 or 4 bars before the crowd realised what was going on and cheered.

CD#296 Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

A remarkable howl of anguish at the loss of his father and the war-mongering of the government at the time, nothing much has changed, sadly.

CD#297 XTC - Nonsuch

Dave Mattacks on drums, fitting in pretty well. It took a while before I bought this as, like a lot of artists do, they settled into a groove which wasn't as interesting as they were at their height. It's ok, but nothing special.

CD#298 Aerosmith - Honkin' On Bobo

This is my only Aerosmith album, and I have no idea why I bought it. It's pretty good fun though.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16377
    I've seen Mattacks with Fairport. I always remember him saying there are three stages to a musician's career : who is Dave Mattacks, get me Dave Mattacks and get me a young Dave Mattacks. B-)

Just looking back up the list, I will see if I can find Babylon by Bus on streaming this afternoon. I skirt around Marley a lot as I'm put off by some of his more sentimental stuff. But Bus has Junior Marvin and Al Anderson on it, which was the dream ticket guitar wise out of his line ups, as well as Family Man on bass.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited May 2016
    Paul_C said:

This is my only Aerosmith album, and I have no idea why I bought it. It's pretty good fun though.

It's one of the very few Aerosmith albums I haven't got - I'd just lost interest by that point, although I've been told it's far from their worst.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Paul_C said:
    CD#296 Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

A remarkable howl of anguish at the loss of his father and the war-mongering of the government at the time, nothing much has changed, sadly.

This. It's one of the greatest anti-war albums ever recorded in my opinion, and probably Waters' best lyric writing. Gilmour and others have called it a whinge or self-pitying, but's that's quite wrong, to me - it's actually more bitter and angry.

I used to think it had dated badly, ten years after it was written - and it might have seemed so then with the references to Thatcher, Reagan, Begin etc - but in fact I think if anything it sounds less dated now than at any time since it was made - apart from the last two tracks (Two Suns especially), which in some ways I liked most when it first came out, but now don't like at all really.

At the time I first heard it I didn't realise quite how like 'The Hero' an old schoolteacher of mine was - he'd also been in the RAF in the war and had been wounded. He was a sarcastic bugger too… but listening to One Of The Few/The Hero's Return, it made sense - more so than the same character in The Wall.

It slightly annoys me that Gilmour having control of the Floyd back catalogue has led to The Fletcher Memorial Home being most often picked from the album - it's not bad, but The Gunner's Dream is the best song… although doesn't feature a Gilmour solo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27726
    Philly_Q said:
    Paul_C said:

It's one of the very few Aerosmith albums I haven't got - I'd just lost interest by that point, although I've been told it's far from their worst.
    I only have that and a couple of the 70's classics. I really like it. The closest thing they've done to blues since the 80's, but in a very Aerosmith way. Definitely good fun and the cover of Stop Messin' Around is excellent
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    Day 68

CD#299 Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

If you like Led Zep then there's a lot to listen to here.

CD#300 Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Armed Forces

A big favourite of mine to celebrate reaching 300.

CD#301 Suede - Suede

Followed by my favourite Suede CD, a cracking album

edited May 2016
    Day 69

CD#302 Joni Mitchell - Blue

A fine way to start the weekend.

- - - - -

Day 70

CD#303 The Clash - London Calling

Their finest hour.

CD#304 Deacon Blue - When The World Knows Your Name

Despite buying Raintown and Fellow Hoodlums (on cassette!) this passed me by for a long time. Maybe it was because of the line "I'll do what I should have did" in Real Gone Kid. ;O)

CD#305 R.E.M. - Out Of Time.

One of my favourite R.E.M. albums.

CD#306 Steely Dan - Katy Lied

Not an album I've listened to often, but I'm really enjoying listening to it tonight.

CD#307 Mull Historical Society - Loss

Quirky but fun.

Day 71

CD#308 Fischer-Z - Fish's Head

Apparently the video for the single Say No was banned by the record company for fear it would endanger its employees worldwide. For a song whose message is "It's time we stopped fighting and started being nice to each other".

CD#309 Thomas Leeb - Upside Down

More slapping and tapping on acoustic guitar, playing tunes that are occasionally familiar - great fun to watch live but as I've said before, lacking something when all you have is the audio.

CD#310 Nirvana - Nevermind

It'll be 25 years old this year, which makes me feel ancient.

CD#311 Rilo Kiley - The Execution Of All Things

Their second album, full of all the things I love about Rilo Kiley. 

edited May 2016
    Day 72

CD#312 Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull

More delightful tunes from the lovely Jonatha.

CD#313 Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama

Maid In Heaven, 2mins 26s of pop perfection.

CD#314 Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Punch The Clock

One of his best.

CD#315 Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Described by Nick Mason as a cross-fade from Syd to Dave. 

CD#316 Boo Hewerdine - Anon

Songs of delicate beauty sweetly sung.

CD#317 Counting Crows - Hard Candy

Angst-filled magnificence from one of my favourite bands.