FINISHED! Strat parts build, the madness continues.....

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28435
    Hugely - HUGELY - better, IMHO.

That is now "IT".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    That is one delicious looking guitar. 

Love the matching headstock. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Thanks Chaps!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    The trem and scratchplate seem to fit with very close tolerances.  Not always the case that.  Guess the body was pre drilled and you got an Allparts scratchplate.  Did you get the neck and plat from Allparts UK?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9125
    paulnb57 said:
    Need to design a headstock logo, but have no idea what to put there…….it's a bit stark and bare...
    How about "Paul" and/or "Snowcaster" in simple black letters. You can make you own water transfers as long as you don't want metallic colours. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited March 2016
    I think if I actually wanted to use the trem I might have to shave a bit off the scratch plate, so close is the fit….body was spot drilled for trem screws, but I don't use it…
    Guitarbuild body
    Allparts neck V profile from ebay
    Allparts bone nut
    Allparts Scratchplate
    Neck plate from parts box
    Bare Knuckle Sultans pickups
    CTS pots
    Oak Grigsby  3 way Tele switch - wired, Neck, Neck And Middle, Bridge that will change to vintage Strat with a 5 way...
    Fender slotted tuners
    Fender circular string tree
    E bay Jack plate
    Wilkinson Trem with steel block
    Halfords White rattle can and Clear lacquer
    Schaller Straplocks...

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Nice job! Looks way better with tha white scratchplate.
    Agreed it could do with a black logo on the headstock and I have the waterslide paper, it's a matter of finding the right wording......

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Excellent job I like everything about it.I agree it does need something on the headstock. I could see the same guitar with gold hardware now that would look stunning.IMHO
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    I keep coming back to gawp at this, beautiful!

btw I couldn't find (online) any mention of Halfords cellulose cans, just acrylic, is it 100% defo cellulose?
    do you have a link at all?
    edited April 2016
    As far as I know its Cellulose @Sarge, it certainly smells like it....(I'd stake your pension on it!)..just the Standard Halfords car paint off the shelf.......there are a lot of colour choices, but something I learned was, next time I will take the can to the shop door and check the colour on the lid in natural light, the white above looked much creamer under the shop lights...

Menu bar on the left lets you fine tune, there a choice of 8 Acrylic and shed loads of "Car Paint".....My Left body/Right rout Strat needs stripping and refinishing, so I am going to try and recreate the grainy look in a different colour.......it is also Swamp Ash one piece (from GSP Basses)

Does this madness ever stop?

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10103
    @paulnb57 - a cracking job mate... One of those geetars that has a little 'something' about it !

The question I always want to ask here (and for once Im going to !)... How much has it all cost in total ? Cheers

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Lovely, @paulnb57 One of the nicest looking strats I can remember....
    edited April 2016
    @Wazmeister - I could have done it significantly cheaper, but wanted to do the best I could, so roughly
    200 Body Vintage spec
    120 Neck
    180 Pickups
    20 Scratchplate
    30 Pots, Switch Wire
    30 Trem
    40 Tuners
    15 Paint
    10 Neck plate/Jack socket
    15 Knobs

So not cheap by any standards, but body is one piece Swamp Ash, a very nice quality V neck, genuine Fender tuners, utterly awesome pickups, Steel block bridge, not everyone's cup o tea, but I love it, definately my best yet! I could have bought a Fender, but theres a bit of me in mine and it is exactly what I wanted, not a production compromise, (which I would have modded anyway!) bar the colour which I thought would be more cream, however the white was a happy accident as I really like it......

I've always admired Knoflers early Strat sound, so built this around using Bare Knuckle Sultans pickups, then went for a vintage vibe with a twist! The pickups sound exactly as the "sound in my head", its the best guitar Ive ever had (and Ive has a few!).....

@Andyjr1515, thank you, high praise from such a skilled chap.

Thanks @paulnb57, I'll have to give their colours a try, though not the clear as I find it melts on contact with everything in my house!, I use it for headstocks only :)
  • I don't normally like white strats but that is excellent. And yes, the white scratchplate makes all the difference, imho.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Stunning looking thing. Bravo!
    edited April 2016
    Now I have a Parchment scratchplate and a spare Strat body, but what colour to go with the Parchment?

edited April 2016
    Candy apple red